NE
SF
Denver

Guess I like all chalk. :|
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Re: Divisional Playoffs

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Saints vs. Seahawks: Against the line, I would take the Saints, but the damn Seahawks are just nasty at home, so I see a win for the home team.
Seahawks 24 Saints 20

49ers vs. Panthers: Line or no, I like the Panthers. My instincts tell me to go with the more experienced 49ers, but like the 'Hawks, the Panthers are rolling. I'll go with the minor upset.
Panthers 27 49ers 24

Colts vs. Patriots: No real feeling either way here. Logic would say to go with the seasoned Patriots, however I'm going with the team on an emotional high.
Colts 31 Patsies 28

Chargers vs. Broncos: Denver is favored by 10, but I believe the Bolts will cover. That said, I still like the yakking horses to win.
Broncos 38 Chargers 34
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:Chargers vs. Broncos: Denver is favored by 10

Wonder how much that line is going to move by Sunday?

Seems like a freebie.

Chickens
Niners
Patsies
Dinks
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Hawks
Niners
Colts
Mules

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Bolts pull another upset.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

squawks
49ers
Colts
Doinks
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

CM and I actually agree on something.

Inconceivable!

:lol:
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The fact you both picked Denver is probably a good omen for the Bolts.

The team is actually good, but both of you fail to see it. The Chargers have one of the best run blocking olines in the league, & being able to run the ball is key to beating Denver. The Bolts losing streak was in part because LT King Dunlap went down for multiple weeks with a concussion. San Diego only has one LT, oline depth should be addressed in the offseason.

Denver's two best defenders from a year ago, Elvis Dumervil & Von Miller are out.

San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle are the only teams capable of beating Denver IMO.

Mikey - You're an embarrassment for any fan base, a real fair weather puss.

Continue shaking in your boots & peeing down your leg....
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Joe in PB wrote:The Chargers have one of the best run blocking olines in the league, & being able to run the ball is key to beating Denver.
no it's not....Denver is pretty good against the run because they play so much man coverage and they've got big guys on the defensive line....the key to beating Denver is to throw the underneath stuff, and put the receiver in space and force denver to tackle well.....
Denver's two best defenders from a year ago, Elvis Dumervil & Von Miller are out.
they were denver's best pass rushers, but not the best defenders.....Denver will have to resort to blitzing in order to pressure Rivers, and that's why they're vulnerable underneath.....

offensively, pick your poison.....you start doubling Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker, and Manning is going to kill you with Welker and Julius Thomas....Moreno is a big threat catching passes as well....if the eggo defense can pressure manning, they've got a great opportunity......if they can't, Manning will chew the defensive backfield up.....
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Seahawks
Panthers
Colts
Bolts
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

"The fact you both picked Denver is probably a good omen for the Bolts.

The team is actually good, but both of you fail to see it."

Good points Joe, but what I do see is Welker back along with Thomas, Thomas, Decker, and an improving Moreno. If TOP is close to equal I don't see how we compete. Matthews although running well is hobbled with a bad ankle, and outside of Allen and Gates we don't stand up to the aforementioned Denver threats. Last game we kept Manning on the sidelines for extended periods of time and still only won by one score. In my opinion Time of Possession is the key to a Bolt victory, and Pagano better dial up some intense pressure on Manning, cause our 31st rated pass defense couldn't stop a decent college QB let alone Manning

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Seems like every time I think the Chargers should win, they lose, and every time I think they should lose, they win.

So, this should be a good sign.

It also helps if I watch from my recliner chair with a scotch, instead of on the sofa with a beer.

Better yet, I should be listening to them on the radio while driving north on the 15 (but not in either direction on the 5 or the 76).

Actually they seem to play best if they're in the early game and I miss the first half at the 11:00 a.m. mass with my wife, and then come home and work out on my rowing machine while watching the second half.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:Seems like every time I think the Chargers should win, they lose, and every time I think they should lose, they win.

So, this should be a good sign.

It also helps if I watch from my recliner chair with a scotch, instead of on the sofa with a beer.

Better yet, I should be listening to them on the radio while driving north on the 15 (but not in either direction on the 5 or the 76).

Actually they seem to play best if they're in the early game and I miss the first half at the 11:00 a.m. mass with my wife, and then come home and work out on my rowing machine while watching the second half.
I think you should be listening to them on the radio while driving north at 110 mph on the 15 drinking a quart of Scotch with your eyes closed.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:

I think you should be listening to them on the radio while driving north at 110 mph on the 15 drinking a quart of Scotch with your eyes closed.
Have you tried that?

If it works it might be worth a shot. Or two.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Well Mikey, clearly it has worked for Goober. Just look at the fine quality and ever so nice demeanor of his commentaries.

Makes you wanna slam back an entire gallon of hooch and take a spin, just so you can emulate his quality postings.

See how it's workin' out for him?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Felix wrote:the key to beating Denver is to throw the underneath stuff, and put the receiver in space and force denver to tackle well.....
Not a problem.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

SD
Indy
Seattle
SF
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote:It's gonna be fun watching all you fair weather Eggos melt Monday
That's why you picked Dungver, right?
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

KC Bitterman :P
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

KC Scott wrote:I did pick Dungver, yes.

Doinks will beat the Eggos and then you and your ilk will slink away from the NFL forum for the balance of the playoffs

notice you stuck around after 9-0 KC got bounced in the first round, and since when does picking against your team when they're a 10 point dog make someone a fair weather fan?

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Have you tried that?

If it works it might be worth a shot. Or two.
KC Mikey has a nice ring to it.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:Well Mikey, clearly it has worked for Goober. Just look at the fine quality and ever so nice demeanor of his commentaries.

Makes you wanna slam back an entire gallon of hooch and take a spin, just so you can emulate his quality postings.

See how it's workin' out for him?
That's Goober Pyle. Not McTuber.

Kind of like if I equate Jay in Phoenix with Jay Hanks.

No, Hanks was a little quicker on the uptake.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Playoff Teams Weakest Links - Matt Williamson ESPN

Wesley Woodyard, LB, Denver Broncos

Von Miller is out for the year, and while Danny Trevathan and Woodyard have very good speed, this linebacking unit (along with safety Duke Ihenacho) has struggled quite a bit in coverage against running backs out of the backfield as well as tight ends. Well, it just so happens that San Diego has backs and tight ends that can do plenty of damage.

The venerable Antonio Gates remains a very solid contributor, while his successor, Ladarius Green, is dripping with upside. Woodyard isn't a bad player but struggles against the size of such tight ends, which can be especially problematic in the end zone. Ronnie Brown is an accomplished, but not dynamic, receiving option and Ryan Mathews has improved in this area as well. But this could be a big Danny Woodhead game, as he has a massive advantage over the middle of Denver's defense, and Woodyard in particular.

It would not be surprising to see Woodhead operating out of the slot quite a bit or even out wide, where he could draw a linebacker out with him in man coverage.

Shareece Wright, CB, San Diego Chargers

The Chargers' defense was awful for much of the season. But after allowing just 10 points last week -- and making A.J. Green nearly invisible -- the Chargers average just over 16 points allowed over their past six games, winning five in a row while John Pagano has incorporated more creative blitz packages and a wide variety of coverages very effectively. Pagano's unpredictability has been a great asset for a defense that lacks high-end talent, especially in the secondary.

Such tactics caused the Broncos' offense major problems in the most recent meeting between these two teams, but San Diego's cornerbacks remain a concern. Starters Richard Marshall and Wright have been liabilities, and the depth behind them is poor, although things have improved once Marshall was inserted as the starter over Derek Cox. Safety Eric Weddle is the only member of this secondary who can be considered above average, and the Chargers will align him all over the defense.

Of course, Peyton Manning will learn from the last meeting and should target Wright without relent, as well San Diego's depth cover men.
Looks like the game will be very interesting.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Joe in PB wrote:
Von Miller is out for the year, and while Danny Trevathan and Woodyard have very good speed, this linebacking unit (along with safety Duke Ihenacho) has struggled quite a bit in coverage against running backs out of the backfield as well as tight ends.
that sounds vaguely familiar....oh yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said
Such tactics caused the Broncos' offense major problems in the most recent meeting between these two teams
yeah coupled with the fact that manning was playing without welker and julius thomas, those tactics were effective.....but with their full receiver contingent back, we'll see how the eggos defensive backfield holds up.....manning is going to 5yd-15yd them til they decide to start pressing the receivers, setting up some man coverage situations, then manning will start tossing 20-25 yarders, with an occasional deep shot.....like I said, they better pray they can get a quick pass rush, because if they let him stand back there for four or five seconds, they're going to be in for a long day.....
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

SEA
IND
CAR
DEN

I think I agree with Joe that SF, SEA, and SD are the teams who could take Denver out.
If SD is able to keep it close -- and get a lot of rushing attempts in the game, I think they could win it.

I sense that they might be a tougher team than the Broncos.

But ultimately, I took the "safe" route and went Denver at home. Meow.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

If we're talking strictly against the spread, my choices would be
Seattle
San Fran
Indy
San Diego

Outright winners
Seattle
San Fran
New England
Denver
Waynegro
Elwood

Post by Waynegro »

Saints - 23
Seahawks - 20

Patriots - 27
Colts - 20

49ers - 20
Panthers - 10

Broncos - 38
Chargers - 21
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

KC Scott wrote:I can see Mikey buying one of these

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I can see KC Scott buying one of these:

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Here Comes Trouble - SI Peter King

1. San Diego making it a game in Denver - I guess I’m not surprised that the Chargers are a heavy underdog this weekend in Denver, but I will be surprised if the Broncos rout them. As I’ve written this week, in their two meetings this season, Denver has outscored San Diego by a point, 48-47. San Diego has outrushed Denver, 308-102 in their games, Denver was held under 400 yards in both games against San Diego this year—and had more than 400 in every other game. San Diego has the strength of Manning’s 2012 offensive coordinator, Mike McCoy, as its head coach now, and McCoy has the kind of institutional knowledge sure to have some bearing on this game.

2. The curse of the AFC top seed - I find this startling: Since the NFL went to the 12-team playoff in 1990, the top seed in the AFC is only 13-10 in the divisional round. The 14-2 Patriots fell to the Jets in 2010; the 13-3 Broncos got taken down in the second overtime by Baltimore last year. Thus, uneasy the Broncos will sleep Saturday night before their late game against the Chargers Sunday. For comparison’s sake, the NFC top seed is 19-4 in the divisional round.

Smarter Stats: NFL divisional round preview, by the numbers - SI Doug Farrar

....the Chargers put together a brilliant game plan when they gave Denver its only home loss of the season on Dec.12. The Chargers ranked dead last in FO’s defensive metrics in 2013, but they used their offense to play defense against the Broncos by rolling the game clock down to single digits on every play and holding the ball for 38 minutes and 49 seconds. San Diego led the AFC in average time of possession per game this season (32:47; only the New Orleans Saints averaged higher at 32:48), and while that stat isn’t always revealing, it’s relevant to this game.

Denver set an NFL record this season with 606 points, and it had the ball an average of 30:01 per game. Of course, for San Diego to repeat its success, drive efficiency will be key. The Chargers converted six of their 12 third downs in that game. That’s well over their average on the road. San Diego converted 6.2 third downs per game this season, which led the league, but only averaged 5.3 on the road.

Philip Rivers wasn’t prolific in that game, but he was ruthlessly efficient when he had to be, as was his primary scoring target. Rivers completed just 12 of 20 passes for 166 yards but threw for two touchdowns and no interceptions. Both touchdowns went to rookie receiver Keenan Allen, and those were Allen’s only two catches of the day. It was an atypical performance from an efficiency perspective, which should give Denver’s defense pause. In December with that Broncos game removed, Rivers averaged 21 completions on 32 attempts for 233 yards, two touchdowns and 0.75 picks per game.

Also in that game, Ryan Mathews became the first back to run for over 100 yards against Denver’s defense in 2013. That stat was more a function of Denver’s opponents having to abandon the run just to play catchup. Mathews ran for 534 yards in December, and when Rivers has play-action to deal with, he’s just about unstoppable. In fact, one wonders why the Chargers don’t use it more often. Rivers completed 54 of 74 passes out of play-action in the regular season for 755 yards, six touchdowns and one pick. That’s 10.2 yards per attempt, as opposed to 7.9 without play-action. Rivers was 3-for-4 for 64 yards with play-action in the Chargers’ wild-card win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
8)
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Saints vs. Seahawks - This would be a huge choke if the Saints won. Seahawks are rested and ready to kick ass, and the Saints almost got beat by the lowly Eagles last week. Brees is going to be wild and get sacked and throw interceptions. I like Seattle by 10.

49ers vs. Panthers - People are overlooking the Panthers big time and not taking them seriously. I think they come in with a chip on their shoulder and get that running game going and get the d-line buttreaming Kaepernick all day. Panthers are underrated. Carolina by 6.

Colts vs. Patriots - This is an easy game to pick. The Colts have shit for a running game, and nobody on defense besides Mathis. Belichick will take away Hilton and let the other slugs do whatever damage they can. No way in hell New England loses this game. Patriots by 13.

Chargers vs, Broncos - This is the only game where I have the road team winning. The Chargers will keep it close with that ball control, third down conversions, etc. and get some blitzes too. Mike McCoy knows Denver's personnel. If this is close at the end, no question Manning gags. Chargers by 3.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

I am flat out amazed at how bad the tackling is. I'm also amazed at how may guys take poor tackling angles, how many coverages are blown, how many guys look lost in coverages, how many guys just drop into an area where there is nobody but a guy just ran by them, how many WR's and Te's get off without getting re-routed.......It's just amazing that defensive play is so poor. I have no dog in the playoff fight but watching the games today it just amazes me how many guys don't wrap up on tackles, how many guys duck their heads, how many guys just go for the big hit, how many coverages are blown........anyone else seeing the same things..........
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

LOL

The NFL has become such a fucking joke.

NE with 40+ pts -- with 9:00 left in the game.

Now if Denver wins we can look forward to another Brady/Manning *CLASSIC* -- with a final score of something like 53-47.

Playoff football.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Goddamn-no-fight-faggot-Chargers. What a bunch of sackless fucks.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:LOL

The NFL has become such a fucking joke.

NE with 40+ pts -- with 9:00 left in the game.

Now if Denver wins we can look forward to another Brady/Manning *CLASSIC* -- with a final score of something like 53-47.

Playoff football.
A completely idiotic take from top to bottom.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

the niner game was pretty much what I expected, except I thought Carolina would be a little more competitive.....

Truman wrote:Goddamn-no-fight-faggot-Chargers. What a bunch of sackless fucks.
the game was a snoozefest until the chargers finally started playing in the last quarter.....
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

- poptart

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to meet for another classic AFC Championship matchup

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z2qGexZbvc

LOL

pssst...
Manning v. Brady was fresh back in '04.

Oh yeah, that oh so classic matchup of the league's 26nd ranked defense v. the league's 19th ranked defense.

55 pts per game have been averaged in the 14 meetings between the two.

Pinball machine ---> *ON*

Not IN.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Niners-Hawks is the more compelling game because of the legit hatred between the teams and the Carroll-Harbaugh rivalry chapiness. Brady-Manning is still a decent watch just because of the rematch from earlier this season but it doesn't have the same juice with Manning in another uniform. You can pretty much guarantee the Pats-Broncos outscore the NFC entire game in one quarter.

It's the ideal semifinals...just bracing for the shitty weather in the Super Bowl but all 4 teams are showing they can play 4-wheel drive football if they have to. All four teams can run the ball but I'd favor the NFC clubs in really bad weather because of their defenses. Eager to see either Manning or Brady have to face those nasty defenses in the rain, sleet or snow.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

R-Jack wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
later in the game..

Watch Ayers (left DE) for the Broncos.. :lol:
Last edited by jiminphilly on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Sudden Sam wrote:But he doesn't cuss.
That's got to be the only reason he doesn't say, "who's that petulant fucking faggot playing quarterback?" when breaking down game film.