NFL/DirecTV/Comcast

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

NFL/DirecTV/Comcast

Post by RumpleForeskin »

The NFL Network files a complaint with the FCC against Comcast for offering the NFL Network through a premier package only. This package forces customers to pay more money just to access the channel.

Okay, so why can't Comcast file a complaint against the NFL for not being able to work a deal to provide customers with NFL Sunday Ticket? Its only offered through DirecTV. I will never convince Mrs. Rumps to switch to satelite again. We ordered dish a couple of years ago and had nothing but problems. I've wanted DirecTV for some time now and she refuses to switch form Comcast because she is afraid thunderstorms will interfere with the service.

I'm fucking stuck with Comcast, but I want the NFL Sunday Ticket. And save your comments about going to a friend's house. I didn't purchase a 50" Sony flat panel HDTV so I could watch "Dancing with the Stars". Why does DirecTV have the exclusive contract with the NFL to offer such a package? This is unjust. Comcast/Time Warner should get a piece, no?

Venting
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: NFL/DirecTV/Comcast

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Okay, so why can't Comcast file a complaint against the NFL for not being able to work a deal to provide customers with NFL Sunday Ticket?
Because our lawmakers, in their "infinite" wisdom, have decided to make the NFL immune to anti-trust laws.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Is Verizon Fios in your neighborhood yet?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

[neener, neener]Just wanted to let Rumple know that I’ve had DirecTV with the NFL Package for 6½ years with no real problems to speak of. Certainly nothing like the outages we had with cable. [/neener, neener]
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Goober McTuber wrote:[neener, neener]Just wanted to let Rumple know that I’ve had DirecTV with the NFL Package for 6½ years with no real problems to speak of. Certainly nothing like the outages we had with cable. [/neener, neener]
Bullshit.

I've had DTV 2 years and heavy rain or snow = No DTV

I've also had one DVR burn up and spent countless hours on the phone with their billing dept. when my bill mysteriously jumps $5 or $10 in a month.

Also only did the NFL Sunday ticket one season - Flipping from channel to channel wasn't as great as I imagined. Most of the A games were on the network anyway. And since I've found Sopcast *swoon* that's pretty much ended the need for ST.

Cable was a lot less headaches -
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Sopcast can be a very sweet to this S. Korean, BUT it's also not reliable for the NFL.
Fingers crossed each week.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:[neener, neener]Just wanted to let Rumple know that I’ve had DirecTV with the NFL Package for 6½ years with no real problems to speak of. Certainly nothing like the outages we had with cable. [/neener, neener]
Bullshit.

I've had DTV 2 years and heavy rain or snow = No DTV
Then you need to get your dish recalibrated. I had that problem a couple of years back, and we would lose everything except the local channels. I called DirecTV and they said that the local channels were on a different satellite, so when they aim the dish they kind of split the difference.

They said I should have a technician come out and re-aim my dish. I asked if there was a charge for that, and they said yes. I can’t remember exactly how much but it was in the $50 range. I said I wasn’t that happy about having to pay for that, they said they couldn’t waive the fee, but that they would give me free HBO for 6 months.

I can’t remember the last time we lost the signal, and this past winter we broke the record here for snowfall by over two feet. The other thing about this is that before we had the dish re-aimed, when we did lose the signal, it was typically for 5 to 10 minutes. Back when we had cable, when the cable went out it was for hours at a time. No fucking comparison.

As for the NFL ticket, my wife is a Cowboy fan. Before I got the Ticket, we would always have to head for a sports bar so she could watch her Cowboys. The Ticket pays for itself the first 6 or 7 weeks of the season. And I get my money’s worth searching out the close games that aren’t on the networks.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I don't think I would buy the Sunday ticket if I was in the market of my favorite team. Half of what you'd ever watch would be broadcast locally.

As a Cowboy fan, even them being a team that gets a ton of national coverage, there are still 2-3 games a year blacked out in Houston. Yeah, it's a stiff price for a few games, but I never miss any of them, and I get to cherry pick the other game I watch each Sunday. $$$ if you ask me.

But If I were a Texan fan here in Houston, I wouldn't spend that cash just to Cherry pick.

Sunday ticket is really an out-of-market kind of thing.

And my outages are like Goobs. It's gotta be just pissing down rain, and even then, it's only out for 5-10 minutes. Cable was always hours.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Headhunter wrote:I don't think I would buy the Sunday ticket if I was in the market of my favorite team. Half of what you'd ever watch would be broadcast locally.

As a Cowboy fan, even them being a team that gets a ton of national coverage, there are still 2-3 games a year blacked out in Houston. Yeah, it's a stiff price for a few games, but I never miss any of them, and I get to cherry pick the other game I watch each Sunday. $$$ if you ask me.

But If I were a Texan fan here in Houston, I wouldn't spend that cash just to Cherry pick.

Sunday ticket is really an out-of-market kind of thing.

And my outages are like Goobs. It's gotta be just pissing down rain, and even then, it's only out for 5-10 minutes. Cable was always hours.
I agree that it's pretty much an "out of market" thing. I considered getting it when I was in Texas, but couldn't justify the cost with the Niners doing so shitty. Call me fairweather if you want, but I'm not shelling out ~$40/game to watch something that I'm being made physically ill by. Of course, now that I'm back in NoCal, and will get to see every game, I'll be more than happy to make myself ill...for free. Had this been during the 80's or 90's though, you're damn skippy I would have ponied up the $$ to see them play.

I also would have paid no matter how shitty the Niners were if it were in the $200 range like it first was, but at current prices, there's no fucking way.

edit to add...
It's also complete bullshit that blackouts apply to NFL Ticket. If you're paying for a subscription service that the NFL is getting hundreds of millions for, they're already making a shitload of money off of you. Seems pretty fucking ridiculous to me that they then have the balls to black out non-sellouts. Fuckers...
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40