Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

What in the Name of Teblow!

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dr. Saturday Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 am EST

Tim Tebow meets his worst career fears in Senior Bowl debut
By Matt Hinton

On top of the technical issues NFL scouts have with Tim Tebow as a prospective pro quarterback, there's also the standard next-level complaint about "the system" -- specifically, among other things, that Tebow spent the entirety of his college career at Florida taking snaps from the shotgun, never from under center, even in short-yardage situations. That seemingly minor qualm opens up an entirely new avenue of doubts about his ability to adjust to basic mechanics like footwork and turning his back to the defense, fundamentals most quarterbacks have converted to second nature long before they show up for NFL auditions (or, in most cases, before they ever set foot in an actual college game).

Florida tried to address that last year by hiring respected quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler from the pro ranks, practicing with Tebow under center and having him take a handful of "conventional" snaps in a few games, all with an eye to making the most celebrated college player in modern history a more viable prospect to the skeptics. But when he showed up Monday for the first day of heavy scrutiny at the Senior Bowl, all the old alarm bells started ringing at maximum volume -- Tebow reportedly flubbed his first snap from center, and it only got uglier from there:

Performing drills with fellow South team quarterbacks Zac Robinson of Oklahoma State and Jarrett Brown of West Virginia, Tebow fumbled the ball at least twice while taking snaps under center.

Later in team drills, Tebow fell into his same old habits — holding onto the ball too long, locking onto receivers and throwing wobbly passes.

The scouts noticed.

"He looks like the third QB out there," one NFC South talent evaluator said.

Of course, the two QBs in front of him, Robinson and Brown, also come from shotgun-based spread schemes that featured a steady dose of quarterback-as-runner, and former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach -- as prominent an acolyte of the "college spread" as you can find -- hilariously mocked the NFL mantra when his prolific protegé, Graham Harrell, met with failing grades from the scouts last spring. ("How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that!") Longtime coach and quarterback guru Marc Trestman, who worked with Tebow to prepare for this week, said he didn't think Tebow looked bad enough to hurt himself; Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, overseeing the South roster, said Tebow improved over the course of the practice. If nothing else, he's already well on his way to replacing Brett Favre's spot in Peter King's heart in the league's most influential weekly column.

But for a guy who needed a knockout week, the initial reviews are unadulterated fuel for the haters. Handling the snap is supposed to be the easy part of the transition; if he's still struggling with the basic exchange on national television this Saturday, we won't be hearing the end of it anytime soon.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: What in the Name of Teblow!

Post by MuchoBulls »

His list of deficiencies shouldn't really be surprising to these scouts.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

A heisman winning gaytor qb failing under the NFL system...

I am shocked

:lol:
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Tim cannot drop the hammer.

Sin,
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

While I am happy to see him fail, I just wish the world would forget about him. So many moments in Gator Blue that make my heart hurt. 2010 season can't get here soon enough.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

TheChief wrote:While I am happy to see him fail, I just wish the world would forget about him. So many moments in Gator Blue that make my heart hurt. 2010 season can't get here soon enough.

Why? So the Cromson and Cream can make it hurt now? :wink:
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Two reasons to be pro-abortion...

1. Tebow
2. Hitler

In that order
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
TheChief wrote:While I am happy to see him fail, I just wish the world would forget about him. So many moments in Gator Blue that make my heart hurt. 2010 season can't get here soon enough.

Why? So the Cromson and Cream can make it hurt now? :wink:

IF, OU beats FSU it will be just another football game, not a Jesus Christ Superstar media debacle, so yeah, actually, I would gladly accept a loss from OU over a TT Gator team. And now I have to watch his dumb ass while rooting my Colts on during the Superbowl??? WTF?? GO AWAY!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Jsc810 wrote:TT is doing an abortion ad that will be shown at the Super Bowl.

Great, now we have to hear about all that shit again. :deadhorse:
Univ. of Florida Awaits Tim Tebow Ad

The University of Florida campus is slowly catching wind of Tim Tebow’s decision to star in a Super Bowl ad slated to air on CBS on Feb. 7, and some say the ad’s message is bound to spark controversy.

The ad spot was purchased by Focus on the Family, a conservative Christian organization that places emphasis on marriage and parenthood.

The Associated Press reported this week that the ad’s theme will be “Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life,” with Pam Tebow sharing the story of her difficult 1987 pregnancy -- instead of getting an abortion she decided to give birth to Tebow, the now-famous quarterback who went on to become a Heisman Trophy winner, leading the Gators to two BCS wins.

Gary Schneeberger, Focus on the Family spokesman, told ABC News he couldn’t comment on the content of the ad. However, he said his organization has always viewed the Tebows as “strong, committed Christians” who have inspirational family stories to tell.

“It seemed like a natural partnership, and we were fortunate enough that they agreed,” Schneeberger said.

I have to ask...was Tim conceived naturally or was it another miracle?

Again, I don't hate the guy but he's not out preaching the virtues of his faith if he's not a football star...we don't give two shits about what Tim Tebow the criminal justice major has to say. Does this need really need to be told to the world? You mean to tell me that the second (or third) coming could've been offed because of a difficult pregnancy? I could've lived the rest of my life never needing to know that. Somewhere Thom Brennaman is smiling.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

he's probably still out preaching the virtues of his faith, only in your scenario he's actually a virgin because no one would give a fuck about him. can't blame a guy for taking advantage of the platform he's been giving to comment on his strong beliefs. the real issue lies with the douches who decide they like jesus because some homo wrote 9th john 55:9 on his eye makeup.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

M Club wrote:the real issue lies with the douches who decide they like jesus because some homo wrote 9th john 55:9 on his eye makeup.
I'll second the amen, but is that any worse reason than the people who "find Jesus" or whatever already give?

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.