Getting a still frame from a vid clip

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Getting a still frame from a vid clip

Post by Mister Bushice »

I have a short video clip taken with my canon camera and I want to capture a still as a jpg from the clip. What could I use to do that?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Are we talking about a still camera or a video camera?

Is it still on the camera or do you have some video editing software you use? I'm not sure on the camera although if its possible, I'm sure you can find out by reading the little book that came with it. I know that the small video cameras now come with the ability to take stills as well so off the top of my head you may be able to play the video and then hit the picture button and see if it takes a still picture of the video or through the lens.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Download VLC. Play the video and pause on the frame you want to save. Select 'Snapshot' From the video menu. It'll save it as a png by default, but you can change it to jpg in the video section of the Preferences menu.

You can also use Print Screen to take a screen shot using Windows Media Player if you turn off overlays first, but I'd say VLC is the way to go.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

That looks like it will do the trick. Thanks for the link. Looks like a very useful program. Any problems with it using win xp?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Yup, there are versions for pretty much every OS. I don't use it as my main player because the UI annoys me, but it'll play anything so I keep it installed.