Moderator: Shoalzie

fix
Eternal Scobode

NHL finally clues in...

Post by fix »

TSN to broadcast NHL draft lottery results

TSN.ca Staff

7/19/2005 6:54:54 PM

The results of the NHL's entry draft lottery, and who gets the No. 1 overall pick, will be carried exclusively on The Sports Network in a special half-hour show on Friday at 4 p.m. (EST).

TSN, which is the rightsholder for the 2005 NHL entry draft in Ottawa on July 30, will carry the lottery event live from New York, where the NHL board of governors will be meeting to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement, approve rule changes for the 2005-06 season and conduct the lottery to determine the order of selection for the entire draft.

The big prize, of course, is talented youngster Sidney Crosby of the Rimouski Oceanic, whose scoring exploits have made him the clear No. 1 choice and a potential franchise player.

Every team in the NHL has a shot at winning that first overall pick in a slightly weighted lottery.

Related Info
The 2005 NHL Draft Lottery
Four teams (Buffalo, Columbus, the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh) have three balls in the lottery. Ten teams (Anaheim, Atlanta, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix) have two balls in the drum. The remaining 16 teams (Boston, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, New Jersy, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington) have one.

The team that gets the first pick overall won't pick again until 60th overall. The team that gets the 30th pick, at the end of the first round, gets the first pick (31st overall) in the second round in a "snake" draft system.

The anticipation of who'll pick first overall, and win the right to draft Crosby, is higher than it has ever been in NHL history.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130847
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Of course, us yanks will not get a sniff of the draft or lottery. Since ESPN stands for broadcasting anything but real sports.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

For once, I wish you were right, Otis.
The results of the NHL's entry draft lottery, and who gets the No. 1 overall pick, will be carried exclusively on The Sports Network in a special half-hour show on Friday at 4 p.m. (EST).
But it looks like something that was inevitable anyway: Canada's sports networks scrambling to get the first bit of hockey news they can get. I can turn to the Score and get the lottery RESULTS too.

Damn NHL. Just show us Gary Bettman grabbing some balls, live, would you? (yes, pun intended) Seeing Blob McKenzie rehash the results in an "exclusive" telecast just doesn't cut it.
Still a FlameFan
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Cross Traffic wrote:Of course, us yanks will not get a sniff of the draft or lottery. Since ESPN stands for broadcasting anything but real sports.
Whaddya mean?? You mean to say the World Series of Poker isn't related to sports?
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Are they drawing for all 30 positions or just the top few like they do in the NBA draft? I don't know much about the prospects for the draft but I understand the draft is more than just Crosby. He's clearly the #1 prospect but GMs say this will be a strong draft. Getting the 30th pick won't be all that with the snake format. I'm hoping the Wings can at least nab a top 10 pick...haven't had one since '94 or '95. I guess that's the only drawback of being a winning for over a decade.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Shoalzie wrote:Are they drawing for all 30 positions or just the top few like they do in the NBA draft?
They'll draw for all 30. The NBA lottery is just like the usual NHL lottery where the non-playoff teams are the only ones that take part in the lottery.

Of course, you being a Wings fan, you're probably barely aware that the NHL even has a draft lottery for non-playoff teams.
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

JD wrote:Of course, you being a Wings fan, you're probably barely aware that the NHL even has a draft lottery for non-playoff teams.

I knew there was a lottery for the non-playoff teams...just didn't know how they conducted it. Definitely eager for Friday for sure...the ratification of the new CBA and the draft lottery. I was reading that the draft will be on the 28th, correct? Also, I saw free agency starts on August 1...things will be picking up quickly over the next couple of weeks.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130828

Here's your complete timetable. And it appears contrary to my original gripe, the actual lottery will be shown live on TSN, not just the results. That's great news.

And it looks like immediately afterward, Bettman will hold the press conference outlining the new NHL.

Saturday, the league will be open for business, meaning buy-outs and possibly a lot of trades.

The draft is on Saturday July 30 in Ottawa.

And free agency begins on August 1, as you said. That's when the action will really start happening.

For hockey fans, this will be like a 2 week long Christmas. Hopefully you'll get what you wanted!!
Still a FlameFan
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

CBC Newsworld was reporting that the red line will indeed be removed, for this season at least. It was also reported that there will be shoot outs in overtime.

IMO they are both bad ideas. Taking out the red line will lead to even more defensive hockey. I am sure Jacques Lemaire is creaming his pants, but it will shitty hockey for the fans. Shoot outs are a joke. You want to get rid of ties? If the team is tied after a period of 4 on 4 hockey, both teams get zero points and it shows up as a loss in the standings. That'll force teams to try and win games.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Not sure about the red line....don't know x's and o's of hockey too well. But ties don't bother me. I don't like games being decided by freakin' skills competitions. Crappy way to lose a game...crappy way to win, too. But they are exciting for the fans. And that's what it's all about right now, trying to put some juice into the game. It was already good enough for me, JD, Hap, Maniac, Shoalzie, AQ, and legions of other old school types. It's that marginal fan they've lost that need back. And gimmicks are their answer. Who knows, maybe it'll be cool after all and we may be saying, "Why didn't we do this all along?"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Good news for the working crowd and the Americans...

NHL.com will stream live video of the lottery on Friday. There's a little blurb about it on the front page of the site.
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

I am skeptical on the red line too .

I have said it all along ....call the obstruction and be evil on the goaltenders equipment ...that is all .
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote: Taking out the red line will lead to even more defensive hockey.
No it won't. It will stretch and virtually eliminate the trap. The red line is the only thing that makes the trap effective.

The shootout is ok. A loss for both teams won't solve anything. I never had a problem with ties. I'm in favor of whatever takes it back to a W-L-T format. None of this W-L SOL-SOW-AWSO-T crap.

Crosby to the wings.................only 2 more sleeps.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:
Hapday wrote: Taking out the red line will lead to even more defensive hockey.
No it won't. It will stretch and virtually eliminate the trap. The red line is the only thing that makes the trap effective.
A European ice surface with no red line means more open hockey. On the smaller North American ice surface it just means more 1-3-1 traps. You eliminate the trap by CALLING THE RULEBOOK.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Hapday wrote: You eliminate the trap by CALLING THE RULEBOOK.
uh, really? I wasn't aware the trap was against the rules. :?

No red line will affect the way teams can implement a trapping system, but they'll still do it, as long as it's a way of giving them a chance to win.

The real way to reduce incidents of the trap is to level the playing field in the league. That's what the new CBA intends to do. That way, Minnesota can win by acquiring and retaining talented players rather than scrapping and clawing their way to wins with scrubs.
Still a FlameFan
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JD wrote:
Hapday wrote: You eliminate the trap by CALLING THE RULEBOOK.
uh, really? I wasn't aware the trap was against the rules. :?
Last time I checked holding, hooking, interference, and obstruction were all penalties. I could be wrong, I haven't read the rulebook in a while and they certainly haven't been calling those penalties over the last 10 years.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Hapday wrote:Last time I checked holding, hooking, interference, and obstruction were all penalties.
If you meant obstruction, why didn't you say it? That list of infractions of yours is not the same thing as the trap. Not even close. When the trap is executed properly, it doesn't involve obstruction. It involves bottling up your opponent, which is completely legal, and will remain as such until the NHL introduces some sort of "illegal defense" or something of that nature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=240605003

Well, maybe they actually did call a few of those penalties in the last ten years... there are 6 of those penalties called in this one game alone!!
Still a FlameFan
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JD wrote: When the trap is executed properly, it doesn't involve obstruction.
:roll: :roll:

Not on the smaller NHL ice surfaces.

As far as your link goes, I was shocked to find that game seven had two interference penalties called, and game five had one. That must mean there were no others in those games, right?
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Roll your eyes all you want Hapfu, obstruction is not 'The Trap'.

The Trap is a zone defence that cuts off passing lanes through the neutral zone. It is made more effective by the 2-line pass rule which is now history. Obstruction is a penalty.

Don't you watch hockey? :?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:Roll your eyes all you want Hapfu, obstruction is not 'The Trap'.
:lol: :lol:

al? wrote:Don't you watch hockey? :?
Obviously you don't. Maybe in theory of the trap, there is no obstruction but if don't believe it's been part of its sucess for the last 10 years you really need to get your head out of your ass. Seriously.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1571/lock1.htm

http://hockeyrodent.com/RODENTQT.HTM

I didn't see obstruction in either of these diagrams.

Maybe you have some coaching knowledge we don't know anything about.

Nice edit, it hurt your post more than it helped it, Hapclueless.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:
Nice edit, it hurt your post more than it helped it, Hapclueless.

You are an idiot. Is 12 minutes too long for you to read my post? Couldn't find anyone to read my post to you? I'll excuse your confusion as you still are confused as to what bandwagon to jump on. Flames/Wings, Flames/Wings....

You really should try and watch hockey sometime...I mean with your head removed from your ass that is.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1571/lock1.htm

http://hockeyrodent.com/RODENTQT.HTM

I didn't see obstruction in either of these diagrams.
On paper this system of government sounds good:
com·mu·nism (kŏm'yə-nĭz'əm)
n.
- A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
Communism
- A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.
Maybe we should switch?
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Hapday wrote: You really should try and watch hockey sometime...I mean with your head removed from your ass that is.
This from likely the most myopic Leaf fan in history, who thinks you need to obstruct to institute a trapping forecheck.

Excuse me for a moment.............

BWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Christ Hap........ you make me laugh.

:lol:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

I'd really like to consider you just 'dumb', but with every single one of your posts you keep making a convincing argument that you are a complete idiot.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Ok hap, enlighten me.

What is a trap?

What is obstruction?

Try not to strain anything.

:lol:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

al? wrote:Ok hap, enlighten me.
There aren't enough hours in a week to do that.

So you don't think the trap is a problem then? That defensive players don't obstruct offensive players, who don't have the puck, in the neutral zone while playing the trap? Do you even know what a 1-3-1 is or its sole purpose?
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

No, I don't think the trap is a problem.

Obstructing players while you are trapping is a problem.

I'm trying to help you seperate the two. You aren't doing very well.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

You still don't understand that on a smaller NHL ice surface, you can't have one without the other. I'm not surprised you are having trouble understanding this, as you can't even pick a hockey team to cheer for.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Hapday wrote:You still don't understand that on a smaller NHL ice surface, you can't have one without the other.
Actually, since you're the one making this claim, I'd say you're the one who should tell us why.

Obstruction != The Trap, this much is clear, I think.

But I'm entirely in agreement with al_incognito on this one. The trap is much less of a problem than the obstruction.

Eliminating the red line will only change the way the trap is implemented. Obstruction will still exist continue to exist, red line or not, which is what you were originally getting at. Calling 50 penalties a game is one way of alleviating that problem, but if I remember correctly, the NHL has tried that every year in October for how long now, and the obstruction seems to have lessened only slightly.

But having a better balance of power among the teams is a good start. Coaches can start coaching aspects of the game which require talent, rather than coaching scrubs to stop the other ultra-talented teams.
Still a FlameFan
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

I don't know if you noticed this or not, but they closed down the old Boston gardens.

Actually, they've closed down a lot of the old 'band box' arenas. Save your 'I'm talking about international ice surfaces' argument because there really isn't that big of a difference when it comes to instituting a trap. I've played on both, I know.

You can have trapping without obstructing if (like you said) the rules were called. If the rules were properly enforced, then you would be able to see how trapping is not obstruction.

You'll be ok, Hap.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JD wrote:Coaches can start coaching aspects of the game which require talent, rather than coaching scrubs to stop the other ultra-talented teams.
How about coaches try to 'win' instead of 'try not to lose' like how the NHL version of the trap is played/coached.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Crosby to the Wings.

Only one more sleep. :D
Captain Haddock
Elwood

Post by Captain Haddock »

It's hard to see Crosby being out of the original six.
Lily-livered bandicoots!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

al? wrote:Crosby to the Wings.

Only one more sleep. :D

You never know, man...it would be awesome but atleast they still have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Grigorenko and Kronwall to build around for the future.