top 25 college football stadiums

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

Re: top 25 college football stadiums

Post by M Club »

shut your mouth, cocksucker. michgian stadium is glorrrrrrious!

and we've been through this a million times already: the michgan stadium experience suffers from the life expectency of michigan grads, which is 127 years. sure, it's annoying that someone from the class of '19 will summon the ushers (who all dropped out high school in the early 40s, and not because of the war) to make the help's great grandchildren in front of them sit down, but i can't blame them for their osteoporosis. add to all of that the fact "atmosphere" is really just code for "unemployed white trash" and you'll get how the $60 average ticket prices that partiicular element of society out of the stands.

don't get why nd stadium would be ranked highter than michigan stadium, though. the exact same self-important, geriatric fan base except one sanctions kiddy diddling and the other just hasn't been caught. plus, nd stadium is an exact replica of michigan stadium except it holds about 25,000 less.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Definitely an SEC bias on this list. SEC has five of the top six, six of the top 10.

And USC tied for 10th? If you've ever been there, you know there isn't a seat within 1/4 mile of the playing field. There's a reason that both the NFL and UCLA left it a long time ago. And there's also a reason why it's called the Mausoleum, even though it was ESPN (I just threw up a little in my mouth) that coined that reference.

Personally, of course, I'm biased toward ND stadium, but it remains a monument to what college football was during a simpler, and imho, better time. No exploding jumbotron (although we did get the stadium rock last year) and with the exception of a single NBC sign, a complete lack of signage. Not even a logo at midfield. I can't believe TPTB at ND are even considering despoiling it with artificial turf. As Richie Allen once said, "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it." (Yeah, Goober, I know he played baseball, but to me, the quote is applicable to football as well.)
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Terry, if that was ever true about the seating at the Coliseum, it's no longer the case. They lowered the field, moved the lower-level stands closer, added the temporary stands at the open end, and closed off the sections behind those temporary stands.

In any case, when the lighted mists come rolling in over the top of the stadium during a night game and the band is playing "Spirit of Troy/Conquest" while the sainted Song Girls are stabbing knives in your heart, yeah, the Coliseum is one badass place. Similar to ND Stadium and a handful of others, it's a living, breathing Mecca of college football history.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Time was when the Carrier Dome would have been on that list. Not so much anymore.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No domed stadium could ever or will ever make any such list, not where college football is concerned.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Van wrote:No domed stadium could ever or will ever make any such list, not where college football is concerned.
If you had been there when McNabb was lighting things up, you would change your tune. That place sounded like being inside a jet.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

maybe if mora can put a competitive team out on the field....and if more fans (bandwagoners) start to show up, with all the historical stuff.....

E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

BSmack wrote:
Van wrote:No domed stadium could ever or will ever make any such list, not where college football is concerned.
If you had been there when McNabb was lighting things up, you would change your tune. That place sounded like being inside a jet.
Wouldn't matter. 'Loud' is but one of many criteria.

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

It's simply pathetic that the LA schools don't have an on campus stadium. And the surrounding areas of their "rent me" football stadiums... are truly atrocious.

Part of what makes College Football special is the idea of playing your home games on your own campus and the pageantry that goes along with it on a Fall day.

With the renovation being done at California Memorial Stadium... there won't be another stadium in the country that can come close to its upgrades and natural beauty. The renovations will keep the stadium with its historic integrity and charm and not turn into another cookie cutter new stadium like they have in the SEC with ZERO historical value.

Here's a quick look at what half a billion dollars will get you... along with having one of the top engineering schools in world putting the project together.

Here's a few views of the newly built University Club in a 360 degree 3D artistic rendering in animation... which is just one of the three brand new club levels at California Memorial Stadium.

With views of the stadium, Cal campus, San Francisco Bay, San Francisco, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, Pacific Ocean, and of course Mt. Tam... just to name a few.

Enjoy.

http://seats3d.com/ncaa/university_cali ... y_account/

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Jsc810 wrote:Plus, it is the only stadium in the country that is built directly on top of an earthquake fault line.

And it will be one of the safest places to be if and when a quake hits on that fault line.

You do know what it means to have a building retrofitted ? Don't you ?

Jsc810 wrote:Maybe one day Cal can develop a geology school to go with its engineering school.

Psst... see if you can tell me when the stadium was built

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

M2, Cal's place will definitely be beautiful but I don't know that I'd say there are no other stadiums that can come close in terms of natural beauty. BYU's backdrop of the Wasatch Mountains is fairly spectacular, as is the Rose Bowl's picturesque proximity to the San Gabriel Mountains. Washington's Husky Stadium location adjacent to Lake Washington and the Cascade Mountains including Mount Ranier may be the most beautiful of all.

Also, to say that neither L.A. school has an on-campus stadium is sort of ridiculous. The Coliseum and Exposition Park including the Rose Garden are literally across the street from the USC campus.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

for mountain setting, you have to include Colorado. it's prolly number one in that regard if CU hadn't this weird set of physics towers blocking the view of the Flatirons from the east side of the stadium. the view of the Front Range of the Rockies from the newish skyboxes is breathtaking. 200 miles of the Continental Divide view. Folsom Field is very cool.

now, to my point. i know these things are off-season fodder but someone essplain to me how Oklahoma Memorial Stadium rates "8" in tradition AND history? meaning there are two gradations above 7 National Championships and 47 straight wins....c'mon. same as Clemson? for fuck's sake Dodd. less than UF in both? Tennessee, for real? Kyle Field has the same HISTORY as OU? Sanford Stadium has the SAME history as OU Mem? Fuck that Noise. DKR too. DKR is a state of the art stadium, not a great one. DKR is a morgue. lotta big history coming out of Camp Randall, too. More than Oklahoma. woo, Barry Alvarez....the guy who won 8 games a year on his way to being the greatest coach in college history. next to terry donahue.

and really, as always, OU rates ahead of Nebraska in every criteria you want to come up with...except steak stealing. i don't think they keep stats of that.

i know we all have to suck hind teat to anything SEC of late...but, the category IS history...not network groupthink revisions. we all loved buck belue, but take OU's history there.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Van wrote: Also, to say that neither L.A. school has an on-campus stadium is sort of ridiculous. The Coliseum and Exposition Park including the Rose Garden are literally across the street from the USC campus.
Superbowls, Olympic games, world class museums, soon even a space shuttle, the LA Coliseum, which is now going to be ran by USC and is closer to campus than most of the dorms has as much history as any stadium in college football. Im sure within a few years, all the renovations that Trojan fans have been asking for will be made. The huge jumbo tron was a nice touch, now let's see them close the peristile end of the stadium
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

King Crimson wrote:for mountain setting, you have to include Colorado. it's prolly number one in that regard if CU hadn't this weird set of physics towers blocking the view of the Flatirons from the east side of the stadium. the view of the Front Range of the Rockies from the newish skyboxes is breathtaking. 200 miles of the Continental Divide view. Folsom Field is very cool.

now, to my point. i know these things are off-season fodder but someone essplain to me how Oklahoma Memorial Stadium rates "8" in tradition AND history? meaning there are two gradations above 7 National Championships and 47 straight wins....c'mon. same as Clemson? for fuck's sake Dodd. less than UF in both? Tennessee, for real? Kyle Field has the same HISTORY as OU? Sanford Stadium has the SAME history as OU Mem? Fuck that Noise. DKR too. DKR is a state of the art stadium, not a great one. DKR is a morgue. lotta big history coming out of Camp Randall, too. More than Oklahoma. woo, Barry Alvarez....the guy who won 8 games a year on his way to being the greatest coach in college history. next to terry donahue.

and really, as always, OU rates ahead of Nebraska in every criteria you want to come up with...except steak stealing. i don't think they keep stats of that.

i know we all have to suck hind teat to anything SEC of late...but, the category IS history...not network groupthink revisions. we all loved buck belue, but take OU's history there.
I agree with every word of this.
"Keys, woman!"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Van wrote:Terry, if that was ever true about the seating at the Coliseum, it's no longer the case. They lowered the field, moved the lower-level stands closer, added the temporary stands at the open end, and closed off the sections behind those temporary stands.
1/4 mile might have been an exaggeration, but not as much of one as you might think. Before the retrofitting, there was a huge distance between the field and even the first row of seats, particularly in the one end zone. I haven't been there since the retrofitting, so I'll have to take your word for it on that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I think I figured out Iowa State's problem. Their practice field is 150 yards long.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.