New Topic because I don't want to jump in the in-game thread

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

JayDuck
Quack Whore

New Topic because I don't want to jump in the in-game thread

Post by JayDuck »

One thing about losing your QB in a game is that it makes a loss (slightly) easier to take.

Once Dixon went down, I knew it was over so I was emotionally prepared for the loss the whole time I watched it. We still should have/could have won, blah blah blah, if we didn't go into shell shock for a quarter after he went down. It never should have been any worse than 17-14 at halftime, but the team just stopped playing for awhile.

I will give credit for the defense playing very hard the second half.

One thing I'll say I've always hated about the college rules, compared to the NFL is that you should need to be touched to be down. Honestly, I don't think it would have made a difference, with Stewart out as well as Dixon in the end, we weren't going to drive down with Leaf at the helm to take that last TD anyway. But, being called down while trying to hand-off, because your knee is down, while the letter of the rule, seems to be against the spirit of the rule IMO. The QB isn't trying to hold on to the ball at that point.

Meh, whatever. It wasn't going to change the outcome. Leaf couldn't throw downfield and without stewart we couldn't run. But I hate rules that reward dumb plays, like trying to pitch, or handoff while you're falling down.

Congrats, Big-12. Congratz West Va. Congratz Ohio State.

Congratz ASU, but I expect USc to take that game next week anyway.

The Rose Bowl's still ours if Dixon comes back. If Dixon doesn't come back, our season's over. Leaf couldn't lead us to Taco Bell. When I become das Feurer t will be that Fuckin piece of shit family to get the gas chamber.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Brian thanks you for the life preserver you tossed him here.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

One thing I'll say I've always hated about the college rules, compared to the NFL is that you should need to be touched to be down. Honestly, I don't think it would have made a difference,
Then why even mention it? Just sounds like excuse making while covering your bases at the same time.

Whatever. It was a fun game to watch from a non-biased perspective. I'm going to bed. Going to pay for staying up this late tomorrow.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

JayDuck wrote:When I become das Feurer t will be that Fuckin piece of shit family to get the gas chamber.
I believe it's Der Fuhrer.

And please go easy on the rest of the Youngstown bunch, if you don't mind.

Edited: Nevermind. I thought you were talking about the Stoops family. I get it now.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:
One thing I'll say I've always hated about the college rules, compared to the NFL is that you should need to be touched to be down. Honestly, I don't think it would have made a difference,
Then why even mention it? Just sounds like excuse making while covering your bases at the same time.
Why not mention it? That replay effectively ended Oregon's chances of a comeback.

Of course, it would only be fair to ask why the replay booth doesn't call down personal fouls as well. Yea, I know the NFL doesn't do that either. But they should.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Believe the Heupel wrote:They don't allow replay on fouls because you'd get a replay on dang near every play as you'd get constant "THAT DUDE WAS HOLDING!"
That's why I specifically said "personal fouls". Nobody in their right mind wants holding or offsides reviewed. Or even pass interference. But personal foul rules are there specifically to protect players from unnecessary harm. If there is a means to ensure that those rules are enforced to the maximum, it should be used.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Yeah cause then that Zona player could have popped Dixon in the head and really bent him over that bad wheel when his knee gave out
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
Yeah cause then that Zona player could have popped Dixon in the head and really bent him over that bad wheel when his knee gave out
That's covered in the NFL rules and would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and, more likely than not, a substantial fine.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

BSmack wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:
Why not mention it? That replay effectively ended Oregon's chances of a comeback.

Of course, it would only be fair to ask why the replay booth doesn't call down personal fouls as well. Yea, I know the NFL doesn't do that either. But they should.[
And the 2, count them 2, personal fouls not called on Grixby's run may have made it moot. The facemask and the subsequent helmet to helmet spear to the back of the head while he was on the ground were each 15 yard ersonal fouls. Yeah, this was all before the almost-fumble, but if you are playing the ifs and buts game you never know what would have happened had those two penalties been called.

As for replay on personal fouls, it sounds like a good idea, but there is so much grey area when talking PF. Oh, and damn near ever PF called for dead ball PF penalties could probably be reviewed and be offsetting since usually it is two players jawing and slapping.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:And the 2, count them 2, personal fouls not called on Grixby's run may have made it moot.
They most certainly would have made it moot. At the very least, there should have been one PF called on that play.

I take nothing away from Arizona's win. They played with a lot of heart. And, even if the Ducks get the ball after that fumble, it was by no means certain that Leaf the Younger would have been able to do anything with the opportunity.
As for replay on personal fouls, it sounds like a good idea, but there is so much grey area when talking PF. Oh, and damn near ever PF called for dead ball PF penalties could probably be reviewed and be offsetting since usually it is two players jawing and slapping.
Dead ball situations could be much more easily resolved by calling the offsetting penalties and institution an instigator penalty for the first player to make contact.

I agree, there's always going to be gray areas when calling penalties. But it just seems stupid to allow a blatant PF to go uncalled when the technology exists to further protect the players by ensuring that more PF penalties are caught by the officials.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

BSmack wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:
That's covered in the NFL rules and would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and, more likely than not, a substantial fine.
if the guy slides feet first you cant hit him, when he just drops like a box of rocks, you can still knock his ass out
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
BSmack wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote: Yeah cause then that Zona player could have popped Dixon in the head and really bent him over that bad wheel when his knee gave out
if the guy slides feet first you cant hit him, when he just drops like a box of rocks, you can still knock his ass out
It's called hitting a defenseless player and it is a 15 yard penalty. I've seen DBs get flagged for hitting receivers that are airborne because they are judged to be in a defenseless position. Dixon's situation more than qualified as a defenseless player by NFL rules. He was on the ground and not in a position where any reasonable person could have expected him to advance the ball. Also, he was a QB who was inside the tackle box. So he would have been afforded even more protection.

Bottom line, if an NFL player laid out say... Tom Brady (please God make it so) while he was in a position similar to Dixon's, flags would have been tossed and the fine would have been at least one full game check. In fact, something that blatant might have triggered a 1-2 game suspension.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Jay, looks like the in-game thread jumped in here...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: New Topic because I don't want to jump in the in-game th

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

JayDuck wrote:One thing I'll say I've always hated about the college rules, compared to the NFL is that you should need to be touched to be down.
I disagree. I think the rule makes watching the ballcarrier more exciting, and runners go on to benefit from the rule as it forces them to become more adept and maneuverable. I hate to use this guy as an example, but...Mike Hart is one of the better backs I've seen carry a football in terms of the ability to stay on his feet. Dude somehow can take vicious hits, while finding a way to straddle the gridiron with nothing but a palm and a little upper body strength.

Plus I always thought it was kind of silly to see a guy hit the grass in the NFL, only to have the defender run up and basically give him a love tap to officially make him "down."
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Zona used the masterful strategy of knocking Dixon out of the game.

Sin.
Board Bitch.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

You must have turned the game off after the first few minutes after the injury.

The team went into shock for a few minutes and played poorly. Gave up a punt return for a TD and Leaf threw a pick-6.

But, you're fucking nuts if you are saying the team wilted after that. They held Arizona to around 60 yards and 3 points in the second half. 7 possessions, 5 punts, 1 fumble and 1 field goal and went from 20 down to 7 down in spite of being completely unable to move the ball at all.

Leaf played like pure shit. There was maybe 2 drops that should have been caught and he was given plent of time in the pocket, when Arizona wasn't sending the house.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Sudden Sam wrote: I saw Leaf earlier this year and he looked okay.
You been going to Oregon practices or something?

Leaf's season numbers (before the Arizona game):

8-15 for 63 yards

He's done nothing but hand the ball off in blowouts and we didn't have a single TD drive with him at QB until last night.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Sudden Sam wrote: What's the deal with the kid from Georgia? Expect much from him?
Roper might be alright someday. Not really a spread QB though.

We had a kid, Nate Costa, who played last year a bit that the coaches were trying to redshirt this year but would have been the replacement QB if Dixon went down. Unfortunately, we lost him for the year to an injury 2 weeks ago.

Either him, or a recruit, Marquis Gray if he comes to Oregon is expected to be our QB next year.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

JayDuck wrote: But, you're fucking nuts if you are saying the team wilted after that. They held Arizona to around 60 yards and 3 points in the second half. 7 possessions, 5 punts, 1 fumble and 1 field goal and went from 20 down to 7 down in spite of being completely unable to move the ball at all.
hmm... just a wild guess here, but perhaps that had more to do with the fact that AZ sucks.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

War Wagon wrote:
JayDuck wrote: But, you're fucking nuts if you are saying the team wilted after that. They held Arizona to around 60 yards and 3 points in the second half. 7 possessions, 5 punts, 1 fumble and 1 field goal and went from 20 down to 7 down in spite of being completely unable to move the ball at all.
hmm... just a wild guess here, but perhaps that had more to do with the fact that AZ sucks.
damn wags, going a little Dins on the board?

Still a ton of work for MU to do. And this KST game isn't a piece of cake, no matter how shitty they are, this is their only shot to be bowl eligible, they wont beat fresno, so its their SuperBowl.

and for KST, beating MU and then MU beating KU would be like winning the lottery for them.

DANGER game.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote: damn wags, going a little Dins on the board?
Why nots, bro? I'm feeling it.

Trust is a must, and I trust Chase Daniel and company are going to take care of bidness tomorrow.

I'll be damned before I cower on the sideline, crossing both my fingers and toes, hoping for a good result so that I can safely run smack after the game. We're going to kick the ever living shit out of K-State.

Mizzou 51
Pigfarmers 16

And it'd be worse, 'cept Pinkel refuses to run up the score. I hope he makes an exception in this case.
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

[smirk]you can all go straight to the hot sordid clambake!!!![smirk]

dayum that was painful to watch
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.