John Waters films...worth seeing?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

velocet
"Q-Town"

John Waters films...worth seeing?

Post by velocet »

The infamous director of Baltimore origins has some films to his credit, most notorious being:

I've read (Style section, Washington post) sometime ago, I think in 2002 on the 30th of the "ground breaking" Pink Flamingos, that JW has revolutionized films. I've only seen his "appearance" on a pro gay episode of the Simpsons... and no one I know around here is taking any "pride" in the geographical roots of Waters. I've never seen a film of his.

So does his work justify the legendary status he's enjoyed?

velocet
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Re: John Waters films...worth seeing?

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

velocet wrote:...I've never seen a film of his.

So does his work justify the legendary status he's enjoyed?

velocet
Rent either PF or Hairspray, if you like, then "Yes" he's a legend. If you don't like, then "No", he's an overated pickle puffer. :D
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

"Pecker" was a good flick, and "Hairspray" was as well. "Revolutionized film"? No.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I enjoy his movies for their offbeat campiness, although Pink Flamingos went a little too far. Whether he's revolutionary or not is hard to say. I doubt we'd have movies like Napoleon Dynamite without his influence, so he's got that going for him.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

I saw "Serial Mom" a few months back. Wicked funny! :twisted:
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

The best thing john Waters ever did was his guest appearance on the Simpsons.

and Crybaby was ok.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Velo, I've seen every JW film from "Mondo Trash" up to his most recent effort "A Dirty Shame" (good movie but seeing Tracey Ullman pick up a milkbottle with her twat while playing the Hokey Pokey at an old folks' home was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on film) and I can honestly say that he is one of my favorite directors.

I own the "Pink Flamingos" 25th anniversary DVD (I use that as my litmus test for women I date. If they can sit through that movie and NOT get disgusted, then they have some potential) and I watch it every now and then. I love that movie. "Lust in the Dust" is okay. "Polyester" is great for "smell-o-vision" which unfortunately, you needed to be in the theater for it to work. There was also a character called "The Baltimore Foot Stomper" who would hang out at supermarkets, get turned on by women's feet in shoes, stomp on them hard, and run. "Pecker" is a great film if for nothing else than the "Pelt Room," a strip club where lesbos dance for, and curse at, straight men.

I personally love John Waters and all of his movies and they all take place in B'more. So, if you are not offended by a 400 pound tranny getting "a rosary" in the pews of a Catholic church, seeing same tranny eat real dog shit, or an adoption service where women are kidnapped, raped, impregnated, and then the babies are given to lesbian couples, then go out and see all of his films. I would be curious to know which ones you like best.

One last thing that I know will interest you. Waters has a strange fascination with the Mansion family murders and references to them pop up in many of his movies at moments you will find perverse but very funny.
dave
Untitled

Post by dave »

"Female Trouble" was pretty rad - especially the castration sequence where the dog gets fed. :|
No one can succeed like Doctor Robert
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

waters is completely overrated.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Pink Flamingo's is whacked.

"Let's lick everything in this room and get it wet".

Bleaghh.

Divine was one nasty/funny dude/woman.

BTW, John Waters:

Steve Buscemi:

WIERD!