You have heard of ESPNU, but have you heard of...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: You have heard of ESPNU, but have you heard of...

Post by indyfrisco »

Jonsense,

Your problem then is not with the NCAA. Kids don't HAVE to go to college and play football. They do it because the NFL requires kids to be 3 years removed from high school before they can play professionally. Therefore, the kids go to college to advertise their skills. So, your problem is with the NFL, not the NCAA. Go bitch in the NFL forum about its rules. College is a privilege, an expensive one at that. If some deadbeat who can run fast or hit hard wants to piss it away, so be it. They aren't entitled to shit.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

IndyFrisco wrote:Jonsense,

Your problem then is not with the NCAA. Kids don't HAVE to go to college and play football. They do it because the NFL requires kids to be 3 years removed from high school before they can play professionally. Therefore, the kids go to college to advertise their skills. So, your problem is with the NFL, not the NCAA. Go bitch in the NFL forum about its rules. College is a privilege, an expensive one at that. If some deadbeat who can run fast or hit hard wants to piss it away, so be it. They aren't entitled to shit.
So why are the schools, the conferences, the television networks, the NCAA etc. entitled to something?

Give me one good reason why they deserve to get rich off of 18-22 year olds that get nothing more than a college education that 50% don't care about?

And tell me what good that scholarship does for someone that takes Art and PE classes just to stay eligible? What's the point of it?

I have no problem with the NFL. That's real football. College football is a scam. It's being ruined by big corporations. Our non-conference schedules are laughable at best. Nobody plays anyone. The bowl games are a complete joke. And guess what? People are making millions off of this joke of a sport. The fans get screwed, the athletes who make it all possible get screwed, and the greedy bastards that do nothing other than promote the sport get PAID.

At least in the NFL you've got quality games EVERY WEEK, a true playoff system, and the players are making their fair share in the deal. There's no Sperm Donors Playboy.com Bowl or Texas vs Odessa-Permian. The BCS is KILLING this sport. But it's okay cuz they're making millions, right Frisco?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

TheJON wrote: Why not? I have never understood this argument. Football and men's basketball players bring in money for the school. Women's swimmers do not. I assume your reasoning is "it's not fair", correct? That's horsepuckey. He who brings company money, gets money. It's an old chinese proverb I just made up.
Really? Football and men's basketball players bring in money for the school?
Of the 119 FBS football teams, 68 (57.1 percent) finished the year in the black.
Of the 119 FBS schools playing men's basketball, 67 teams made a profit.
TheJon wrote:You can 86 a data entry job and the corporation doesn't go down the shitter. You 86 the football players and you can shut down the athletic department.
You can't 86 many jobs and still keep a company alive. What is an airline without pilots, a construction company without laborers, an oil exploration company without drillers, etc?
TheJon wrote:You 86 the football players and you can shut down the athletic department.
Wrong, you fail again. 95% of us are fans of the school, not the players. Sure we get attached to some and others become legends, but players come and go all the time. We are still fans of the school. We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL. Frisco said it best, your issue is with the NFL and their collectively barganed rules. These players don't have to play in college if they don't like the agreement. Hell, let them go to the CFL or somewhere else.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Left Seater wrote: We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL.
huh?

Are you trying to say that fans of an NFL team can't or don't support their franchise just as fervently as the most avid CFB devotee?

If so, you'd be wrong.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote:
Left Seater wrote: We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL.
huh?

Are you trying to say that fans of an NFL team can't or don't support their franchise just as fervently as the most avid CFB devotee?

If so, you'd be wrong.
Oh, I don't know Wags. I've seen the same people wearing Favre jerseys in two different shades of green and also in purple. I really think we're talking apples and oranges here.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

TheJON wrote:I have no problem with the NFL. That's real football. College football is a scam. It's being ruined by big corporations. Our non-conference schedules are laughable at best. Nobody plays anyone. The bowl games are a complete joke. And guess what? People are making millions off of this joke of a sport. The fans get screwed, the athletes who make it all possible get screwed, and the greedy bastards that do nothing other than promote the sport get PAID.

At least in the NFL you've got quality games EVERY WEEK, a true playoff system, and the players are making their fair share in the deal. There's no Sperm Donors Playboy.com Bowl or Texas vs Odessa-Permian. The BCS is KILLING this sport. But it's okay cuz they're making millions, right Frisco?
You make some valid points about the problems with college football, including the relative dearth of quality OOC matchups during the regular season, and the bowl system that now provides us with 34 more or less meaningless games, except for the fact that your team might happen to be playing in one of them. Of course, those are topics best left to a different thread.

Where I part company with you is in your insinuation that the NFL is somehow "pure" and undiluted by corporate interests. Look at attendance at NFL games, and especially the luxury suites which often are what drives construction of new stadiums. What do you see? Corporate America all over the place. At least college football still has a few real fans left in the stands.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Moreover, the NFL has "synergized" its way into every sphere of media life....from ads, their own "content" (the League on FOX, complete with over-the-top ad placement of Fox's fantasy league software, Bud LIght and Fox NFL personalities), to media coverage of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The NFL has converted itself into a 365 day a year "season" for fan interest...in addition to making specific content that advances marketing to women as "football fans". half of your potential fan base, fellas. that's good ad work, but not the best for sports content (whassup NBA?).

I'd say, minus going overseas or outerspace, the NFL has colonized fan life to the point of saturation. i don't really care because i find the NFL (and esp it's self-important coverage of itself) to be virtually unwatchable. hilarious and sickening in it's presumed almighty place in American life. I know a successful marketing campaign when i see it....it's not the unfurling of absolute spirit or "human nature". i'm at the airport bar or whatever and listening to "dudes" talk (poorly) about the NFL and throwing out words like "Tampa 2" and such i feel sorry for them. they know what they are taught to say like chimps and how it appears in a cultural semiotics....but they know very little about football itself. whatever Howie said this AM, that's what they are saying now.

better order some more Papa John's....to say the NFL lacks in corporatism compared to anything is a bit disingenuous.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

TheJON wrote:Give me one good reason why they deserve to get rich off of 18-22 year olds that get nothing more than a college education that 50% don't care about?
I'm of the cloth that you are what you make of yourself. A grocery bagger can be content about bagging groceries, or he can work hard to move to stocker, then cashier, then manager, etc. I have no problem with people "at the top" doing what is best for themselves as long as it is legal. I would hope they also incorporate some benefits for the rest of the ladder on down, but if not, those down the ladder can pack their shit and move on if they wish. America is beautiful like that. It's a dog eat dog world. Don't like it? YOU make the change. Don't sit back and expect everyone else to kowtow to you if you're sitting on your ass complaining.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

IndyFrisco wrote:
TheJON wrote:Give me one good reason why they deserve to get rich off of 18-22 year olds that get nothing more than a college education that 50% don't care about?
I'm of the cloth that you are what you make of yourself. A grocery bagger can be content about bagging groceries, or he can work hard to move to stocker, then cashier, then manager, etc. I have no problem with people "at the top" doing what is best for themselves as long as it is legal. I would hope they also incorporate some benefits for the rest of the ladder on down, but if not, those down the ladder can pack their shit and move on if they wish. America is beautiful like that. It's a dog eat dog world. Don't like it? YOU make the change. Don't sit back and expect everyone else to kowtow to you if you're sitting on your ass complaining.
Indy....how is that fair.....isn't everyone entitled to equal treatment? Doesn't the Gov't take care of everything? Shouldn't we all just sit back and collect a check? :meds:

This is why liberals drive me nuts.

Here is a noble concept: If you go out, educated yourself, apply yourself, get off your lazy ass and work hard and do a good job, you will succeed. What is so hard about this? Why do we have to rely on others to help a person get ahead? You think that I liked what I did right out of college? Fuck no. I hated it. But, it did teach me that I didn't want to manage a Circuit City for my whole life.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Harvdog wrote:You think that I liked what I did right out of college? Fuck no. I hated it. But, it did teach me that I didn't want to manage a Circuit City for my whole life.
Bingo. I was a COBOL programmer out of college when Java was the hot thing. I wanted to be doing java web development, but I took what I could get. 12 years later I am a Solutions Architect for SAP, Kronos, Business Objects, Sharepoint, and many other platforms in addition to managing a team of developers to actually do the work that I design. Not one single position I have had along my career path was given to me because of who I knew. Only one thing has been given to me along the way, and that was a college education, same as what the players get.

Fuck'em if they don't make the best of their opportunity for a free education.