It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Re: HEAT WAVE!!!

Post by poptart »

HEAT WAVE!!!

My bad.
Was looking for the "What's for Lunch" thread.

L8erz
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Well this really sucks..

9 fucking degrees here this morning at the Derron weather station and airstrip 30 miles west of Portland.

This is close to the 8 degree low on February 8, 1989.

I know you upper midwest and east coasters laff at that, but it is fucking cold.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Your bums must be loving this weather in portland. Or do they all winter in SF?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Can we get an Über Loser to bump this shit thread every 20 minutes until their extremities are frozen solid and rendered unable to type? After which, bump it every 10 minutes? TIA.
warren

Post by warren »

I'm a South Texan staying in Toronto for a while and it hovers mainly around freezing with the a -6C or a little less evening here and there.

However, even though I grew up near the border in Tejas, sweating it out most days, I actually own a sweater and a coat and even some long johns and know when to put them on.

Point being, STFU Doomsdale, it's not like you live in the freaking mojave dimwit. I guess morons always have something to bitch about unless they've got plenty of Milwaukee's Beast in the fridge and mom's cooking for dinner.

p.s. Unedited Trailer Park Boys episodes do not suck, except that I watched the final installment the other night.

Canada's pretty cool in a lot of other way's as well.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Are misplaced apostrophe's apostrophes a canuck thing?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So, wtf is your roughneck ass doing in toronto?

Didn't know they had oil there.

How is the earl bidness liking the plummeting prices?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Derron wrote:Time to go home and drink Baileys on the rocks to warm up.
Baileys? Did you put a little umbrella in it, Darla?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:Your bums must be loving this weather in portland. Or do they all winter in SF?

We have these things called "homeless shelters"...

In which Darwin sorts out his earlier mistakes. Don't make it to the shelter? More food for the other homeless for the next year, because the slow ones get dead. We get the "winter homeless purge" about every 5 years or so.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Can we get an Über Loser to bump this shit thread every 20 minutes until their extremities are frozen solid and rendered unable to type? After which, bump it every 10 minutes? TIA.

Will do.

warren wrote:I guess morons always have something to bitch about unless they've got plenty of Milwaukee's Beast in the fridge and mom's cooking for dinner.

Get your shit straight.

It was Beast Ice, and the girlfriend cooked me dinner.

Not quite as cold today... a tropical 26, without the life-draining east winds with the 0.00% humidity.

Worst round of winter weather in the lowlands in at least 15 years. And it's one of the earliest arctic snaps on record, after every other seasonal event in 2008 has been 3 weeks late (crop harvests, storm patterns, and whatnot). Interesting stuff... if you're really bored.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

YD wrote:Fuck it. We're halfway through winter. Even if it's a shitslam for two months it's over after that.
Well, you do have that going for you.

It's not so bad here in this part of the U&R -- yet. We're in the 20's right about now, we were in the 50's as recently as early afternoon yesterday. Today's temps are pretty seasonal for this time of year. What's unusual is that there's no snow on the ground -- the two-day warm-weather snap we had melted it all.

Still another four months or so ahead of shit weather. It'll warm up (slightly) in April, but it'll look like the U&L in winter around here then. We won't get decent weather again until May.
Dinsdale wrote:I'm in the U&L -- firewood grows on trees 'round these parts.
Thanks for that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

This is bad news for all of us - if the temp in the U&L has reached the point where native ballsacks can create healthy sperm, then the dregs of our nation will have no room to move there and start bands, do smack, slam their bicycles into moving vehicles...yes, you're starting to get it now.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:This is bad news for all of us - if the temp in the U&L has reached the point where native ballsacks can create healthy sperm, then the dregs of our nation will have no room to move there and start bands, do smack, slam their bicycles into moving vehicles...yes, you're starting to get it now.

Yeah, we have imported some cultural oddities over the last couple of decades.

Too bad the shitheads brought their weather with them.

Although... the weatherdorks have backed off a bit... saying it might be 40 and raining in the lowlands by tomorrow afternoon, after heavy morning snow.

Sounds a little more likely scenario to me... but I've only lived here 41 years, what do I know?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dinsdale wrote:In which Darwin sorts out his earlier mistakes. Don't make it to the shelter? More food for the other homeless for the next year, because the slow ones get dead. We get the "winter homeless purge" about every 5 years or so.
Speaking of Darwin and "weather threads"... New England is still working on restoring power to hundreds of thousands of customers who went lights out (sup Merroidman?) early Friday morning due to the ice storm. I cannot wait to get home this evening as the electric company (sup Juice's O/L?) finally restored power at the ole homestead sometime this morning. Apparently, a lot of local peeps in the area were prepared for such an event as generators have been running full bore since the storm. IT seems, however, that numerous idiots out there are not aware that running these devices indoors can be harmful to their health. Sadly, Sir Charles has only claimed the life of one NE toolbag due to carbon monoxide poisoning, but 50 or so other morons are sipping oxygen cocktails at the local ER's hyperbaric chamber. I read somewhere that 2 other douchebags died in upstate New York under similar circumstances during the last week, but given the abject stupidity of a couple of T1B posters from the area, I'd say "the under" hit for that one.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

How can anybody actually wish for 40 degrees and raining? WTF can you do outside.....voluntarily....in that shit?

40 and raining is the second worst type of weather I know of. It is edged out by it's brother, 34 and raining.

65 and raining, making that lightly raining, is tolerable. Actually, it's kinda nice for riding a bike in, but, that almost cold enough to snow bullshit is the worstest. Had my fill of it when I lived in Norfolk. 29 and snowing is actually very nice, so long as the wind isn't whipping too bad.

I would think you would actually prefer the twenty something over your usual depressing cold wet shit. But, I guess if whether or not you can put your bong on the porch without winterizing it is a concern, then maybe I understand.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that I was pelting my defenseless dog with snowballs last Wednesday. It snowed on Christmans Eve just four years ago and some of it stuck to the ground back then, but you'd have to turn the clock back to 1989 of when the last time we had a legit snowfall that was recorded in inches rather than AP's cock size errrr milimeters.

I believe they reported 37 car accidents within the hour of the first snowflake making landfall last Wednesday afternoon. I think that number more than doubled when the bridges froze over night. The widespread panic of Houston drivers when consumed by accumulation below freezing point is beyond comical.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Rumps, why did you throw snowballs at your dog... run out of shoes?

Snowed about 4" here today, still colder than my NFL picks record, and oh goodie, they say we have an ice storm moving in Thursday.

Should make for another white knuckle commute, much like today.

You've got the stupid fucks in their $54k SUV's thinking they can drive 70 mph in the left lane that hasn't been plowed or not yet knowing that 4wd doesn't help much on black ice...

....and the paranoid fucks in their $54k SUV's driving 25 mph in the right lane that wound up in the ditch upside down the last time they tried driving 70 mph in the left lane.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:4wd doesn't help much on black ice...

Sure it does. Helps tremendously.

Increases your chance of survivng a cross town drive from "certain death" to "might almost make it halfway there."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:
War Wagon wrote:4wd doesn't help much on black ice...

Sure it does. Helps tremendously.

Increases your chance of survivng a cross town drive from "certain death" to "might almost make it halfway there."
actually, I think your chances of getting dead increase with 4WD. If you have 2WD, you walk out to the driveway, fall on your ass, laugh and say "fukk that shit", go back inside, crack open a beer or if your dins, defrost your bong in the oven.

4x4 dude gets up, laughs and says "sure glad I got 4WD". Hops in his cherokee and blasts down the road and flips it onto his roof within a few miles. This is a good thing as it often results in a lowering of SUV pilots.

Chucky D is a big fan of 4WD.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:How can anybody actually wish for 40 degrees and raining? WTF can you do outside.....voluntarily....in that shit?

Work without fear of frostbite?

Walk to the fucking store without a case of hypothermia?

40 and raining is the second worst type of weather I know of. It is edged out by it's brother, 34 and raining.
Hello? Geography much?

By the time I could ride a two-wheeler without Dad's help, I had experienced more of either of those conditions than you'll see in a lifetime. Deal with about 2.5 months of the year with one of those conditions being pretty much a 24/7 deal.

And as an involuntary expert on such things, I can say without any reservation whatsoever that there's a BIG fuggin difference between 40 and raining and 34 and raining.

BIG fuggin difference.

One I can reasonably tolerate, the other has crossed the line of sheer misery.
65 and raining, making that lightly raining, is tolerable.

You sound like the dipshit transplants around here...

Who seem to have this weird, wild impression that raindrops hurt or something.

Started snowing again-btw. Weatherdorks say it might warm up to rain by the end of the day... dropping well below freezing tonight. Should make for some fun driving -- Mother Nature is going to take the Zamboni to the sheet of icewe already have, and lay down a fresh, smooth sheet on which to drop some snow.

This is Day 4 of snow/ice. In my time here (which is all of my time, more or less), 4 days is about the duration of the nastiest cold spells. May have been one or two that went an extra day or two, but not in recent memory. And weatherdorks are jawing about this lasting another week or more... fuck that. Big snow/ice events only come around every few years, and this area (interior lowlands) just doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with more than a short, small dose of it. The western side of the metro area (sup Dins and Derron) is pretty much one steep hill after another, and there just isn't the resources to clear the less-travelled streets... just not feasable.

4WD with chains, or you just ain't getting around.

Although them city busses always seem to come around. And fortunately, I live adjacent to one of the "major routes" (living next to a business hiway has its perks), which is going to come in awful handy when I work downtown Friday... I'd take the bus regardless, so as not to deal with parking, and it afford me the luxury of ingesting multiple alcoholic beverages before making my merry way home.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

UPDATE!!!!

Snowing pretty hard at the moment.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, I suppose if you went out in a teeshirt and shorts, it's a serious possibility.

Other than that... Uhm...

I walk to the store, wait for the bus, occasionally venture out for some golf/disc golf, and a host of other activities that require exposure to such conditions on a very frequent basis.

And I've yet to get a raging case of hypothermia.

Quiet down a little if you're going to take the barstool next to mine.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

You're a bum.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:I don't give a fuck what you're wearing.

Certaanly one of the dumber things I've read on here in quite a while.

Gortex ring any bells?

Vinyl?

Rubber?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

mvscal wrote:I don't give a fuck what you're wearing.

Ooooh! Now you're talking!

--Kid Nashville
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dinsdale wrote: Vinyl?

Rubber?
Only the kinky survive.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Gortex ring any bells?

Vinyl?

Rubber?
I've worn all of the above, dipshit.
And which was Vogelfrau's favorite?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:I don't give a fuck what you're wearing. If it's raining...you're going to get wet.

Period. The End.

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/index.html

http://www.columbia.com/Category/1/Mens.aspx

http://www.langlitz.com/

Cracking the fuck up over here.

Just stay in SoCal, dude.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

R-Jack wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:UPDATE!!!!

Snowing pretty hard at the moment.
Sweet.

How many frozen NorCal carcasses do you folks plan on pulling off your logging roads this season, or did you just plan on waiting till they thaw out in spring?
Let's see...my late season black powder elk tag was filled last weekend..going to pickup the meat in a few days.

Probably going to be some killer steelhead fishing later this week...with a bit of melt hopefully..this will require travel through the pass levels..no problem there..

I was hoping to pull about 6 loads of logs off the deck this week and get them to the mill before it shuts down for 2 weeks, but went over there Monday morning and there was about 18 inches of snow and the cat was up at the deck another 1200 feet higher. Therefore we said fuck it and went to drinking..errrr lunch at the Dutch Mill. Parked the truck likely for about the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Therefore we have no reason to go on those roads, and any No Cal zips that can't read or comprehend a map will become part of the natural landscape, and likely well deserved food for the bears and cougars. Likely would just push the frozen corpses over the edge when we cat our way back into the site.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:Probably going to be some killer steelhead fishing later this week

There's no such thing as winter steelhead fishing. A human can't survive those conditions...

mvscal out front told me so (still laughing my ass off).

Remember -- it doesn't matter what you wear.

Derron wrote:drinking..errrr lunch at the Dutch Mill.

Is that the bar in Tillamook right there on 101?

Now THERE's a freaking dive. But a great launching pad for winter steelheading... if you want to die of hypothermia in the sub-40 degree rain in an hour.

Nice fish... too bad those guys died of hypothermia later that day.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Well ...the idea is to STAY DRY ?

Go ahead and assume in my line of work, ( construction,excavation,logging) that I have worked a couple of days in 40 degree or lower rain, and I am still around.

Top of the line Helly Hansen rain gear...west co boots, with 2 cans of silicone on them, a top of the line either Stetson type hat, or hard hat with ear flaps, and insulated gloves. I can stand in the rain all fucking day and not get hypothermic. Have done it several times in the last 2 weeks. Oh and also...a second set of rain gear,gloves in my day bag, with extra socks, and a set of Romeos to wear home.

Note the idea is to.... NOT GET WET... fucking a..what don't the morons understand..if I get wet, you can get hypothermic real fast..if you get wet, then you have a problem..but you deserve it at that point.

The Dutch Mill is that dive you speak of..I have heard there is card games in the back room..and its only one left turn and your back on the highway for the valley..

And the two wops in the picture..dude has his undersized rain pants tucked IN his boots..real dumb..and those are tidal flat fish, and there are 2 small Chinook, a sliver and a nice steel head. A good day in anybody's book..even in that 40 degree rain storm.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:Cut a lot of timber in downpours, do you?

Nah... U&L timber companies shut it down when it rains.

SoCals are pretty funny sometimes.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

mvscal wrote:Cut a lot of timber in downpours, do you? Probably not a good idea to question anybody's intelligence for any reason if that's the case. Thanks for pointing out that the idea is to stay dry, though. Have you spread the word yet?

I had no idea that hypothermia had a 100% mortality rate. That must be some extra special U&L edition of hypothermia. Why, I'll bet they probably even invented it.
Those of us up the food chain find it hard to fit a saw in our hands. You need to move beyond that in order to make a decent living and not be a drunk. But even with that, many a timber faller makes better money than a UAW honk, if you live long enough to spend it. That being said, most timber is cut in the rain, simply because it fucking rains a lot here.

Your flash of brilliance implies that if you work in the rain below 40 degrees, you will die, which is of course complete bullshit. If you don't work in the rain under 40 degrees, you will be called a pussy,you might get fired and then you might not eat.

A majority of hypothermia is fatal, and is Darwin calling bode most times. Never been there and never going there.

A So Cal running hypothermia smack....?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote: A So Cal running hypothermia smack....??

And telling Cascadians about dressing for 40 degree rainstorms...

Yup, that actually happened... much to our amusement.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote:How can anybody actually wish for 40 degrees and raining? WTF can you do outside.....voluntarily....in that shit?

Work without fear of frostbite?

Walk to the fucking store without a case of hypothermia?

If you can't generate enough body heat to keep from getting hypothermia in that bonechilling 20 degrees you've been experiencing, you are a serious fukking pussy with a metabolic rate of a hibernating bear. But, I guess when your BAC is somewhere around 15%, I can see how your metabolism might dip a bit.

Hello? Geography much?

By the time I could ride a two-wheeler without Dad's help, I had experienced more of either of those conditions than you'll see in a lifetime. Deal with about 2.5 months of the year with one of those conditions being pretty much a 24/7 deal.

And as an involuntary expert on such things, I can say without any reservation whatsoever that there's a BIG fuggin difference between 40 and raining and 34 and raining.

BIG fuggin difference.

One I can reasonably tolerate, the other has crossed the line of sheer misery.

yes, 34 and raining is worse, but, they both suck.
65 and raining, making that lightly raining, is tolerable.

You sound like the dipshit transplants around here...

Who seem to have this weird, wild impression that raindrops hurt or something.

and you sound like a reading comp challenged mong. notice how I said I actually like riding in that weather, so long as it's not a heavy rain. But that has as much to do with visibility or lack there of, than anything else.

Started snowing again-btw. Weatherdorks say it might warm up to rain by the end of the day... dropping well below freezing tonight. Should make for some fun driving -- Mother Nature is going to take the Zamboni to the sheet of icewe already have, and lay down a fresh, smooth sheet on which to drop some snow.

This is Day 4 of snow/ice. In my time here (which is all of my time, more or less), 4 days is about the duration of the nastiest cold spells. May have been one or two that went an extra day or two, but not in recent memory. And weatherdorks are jawing about this lasting another week or more... fuck that. Big snow/ice events only come around every few years, and this area (interior lowlands) just doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with more than a short, small dose of it. The western side of the metro area (sup Dins and Derron) is pretty much one steep hill after another, and there just isn't the resources to clear the less-travelled streets... just not feasable.

4WD with chains, or you just ain't getting around.

Although them city busses always seem to come around. And fortunately, I live adjacent to one of the "major routes" (living next to a business hiway has its perks), which is going to come in awful handy when I work downtown Friday... I'd take the bus regardless, so as not to deal with parking, and it afford me the luxury of ingesting multiple alcoholic beverages before making my merry way home.
So, I guess it comes down to if you are severly drunk and sitting in a covered, but unheated bus stop, 40 and rain means you might not turn into a drunken icesicle.

If you have a halfway decent jacket and some sort of heat generating ability, you will be very comfy in 20 degrees. As a kid I used to play ice hockey in just a sweatshirt in 10-20 degrees. And I still sweated. But then again, I was young, healthy and pretty much sober. Well, by the time I was 17 or so, the sober part was optional.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Can somebody build me a fucking ark?

We're having a 40 degree downpour here right now, and it's been going on all day.

It was raining when I got up a 4:45 am. It was raining all the way from here to Whittier. Let up long enough for me to complete my two inspections in Whittier without getting too wet and contracting hippiethermia. By the time I got to Garden Grove at 10:00 am it was coming down in sheets, so I cancelled Garden Grove, Cypress and Costa Mesa. I'm not about to risk my life walking around on some a-hole's slippery roof in a downpour.

According to the radio the 405, the 5, the 91 and the 15 were all a mess because of accidents - mostly jacknifed rigs. 15 north was closed at the 215 because of snow. The 14 was also and the 5 heading up to Gorman was close to closing. To avoid the 405 heading south I took Beach Blvd. from Garden Grove all the way to PCH in Huntington Beach, down to the 55 in Newport then out to the 73 through Costa Mesa. The toll road was a breeze but from about Mission Viejo to Oceanside it was raining about as hard as I've ever driven in. Had to work hard to keep from hydroplaning in a few low spots. Stopped at In 'n Out in Carlsbad for lunch and got back to the office about 1:00. Rained all afternoon and it poured on me all the way till I got home at 5:30.

Not sure what's going on here but we've had more rain here the past 3 days than prolly the previous 10 years or so. Must be global warming.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

ahh, c'mon, ya little sissy. dins and derron actually wish for that kinda weather. according to dins, 40 and rain is perfect for golf. all you need is some gortex. trouble is, I don't think they make tie dyed t shirts in gortex.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:40 and rain is perfect for golf.
No.

It's do-able, though. Or it has been for me in winters past.

Definitely not perfect. If it's 40 and raining, it means it's winter... which means the fairways are soft as warm butter... fried eggs are the norm.

Better hit'em thin. No such thing as a divot in the soggymud -- just your own personal earthen explosion.

Putts don't break as much when they're hydroplaning, either... swing hard.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Saw the western satelitte map, Mikey... southern california doesn't look like the weather is any too pleasant, either... but I'd take it over this.

GIMME BACK MY RAIN!!!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:I've lived and worked in weather you've never seen before and there is nothing more miserable than cold, wet weather.
Unless you've worked the flight line at SAC headquarters, Offut AFB NE. in the middle of January, I doubt you know the meaning of miserable weather. Try de-icing the wing and tail surface flight controls of an EC-135 whilst perched atop a cherry picker during a blizzard, then get back with me.

I doubt they still fly those "Looking Glass" missions today, but at that time, there was a bird in the air 24/7/365 capable of launching nukes from the air in the event of a pre-emptive first strike that took out our capacity to retaliate from the ground.

The MAD strategy. Mutually Assured Destruction. Good times.

It's been over 25 years, but I still have the cold weather gear issued. Comes in handy now and then. This onslaught of a motherfucking winter might bring it out once again.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey wrote: Not sure what's going on here but we've had more rain here the past 3 days than prolly the previous 10 years or so. Must be global warming.
It's Gods way of making up for all those wildfires.

Next up: Mudslides.