Good for USC

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Good for USC

Post by Killian »

Hopefully other schools follow suit, and eventually the NCAA adopts this procedure.

----------------------------------------

4-Year Scholarships for Revenue Sports
By Jordan Moore on June 23, 2014 9:28 AM | No Comments

USC will offer four-year athletic scholarships to all scholarship student-athletes in the revenue sports of football and men's and women's basketball in lieu of the current practice of offering one-year renewable scholarships, USC Athletic Director Pat Haden announced today.

Haden said this policy will be effective July 1, 2014, for all current and future scholarship student-athletes in those sports.

"In taking this action, USC hopes to help lead the effort to refocus on student-athlete welfare on and off the field," Haden said.

Haden also reaffirmed the university's commitment to assist those scholarship student-athletes in good academic standing that have exhausted their intercollegiate eligibility to obtain their undergraduate degrees. USC has assisted more than 250 former student-athletes with undergraduate degree academic support over the last decade.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Killian

Re: Good for USC

Post by Killian »

schmick wrote:USC was already keeping players, who couldnt play, on scholarships. Frankie Telfrot, Jarvis Jones, Iraq Armstead were all declared medically unfit to play at USC and USC, even with ridiculous scholarship limit sanctions, honored their scholarships while they continued to go to school at USC

This is just sort of a press release announcing something USC has done all along
Yeah, completely different. Those players were converted to medical scholarships and didn't count against the total athletic scholarship number for football. All schools do that. Haden is saying that any kid that signs is guaranteed a 4 year scholarship instead of getting a 1 year renewable offer.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Killian

Post by Killian »

schmick wrote: Doesnt change the fact that if a kid accepted a scholarship to play at USC and then couldn't play or never played, the school still paid for him to attend for 4 years and earn his degree when nearly all the other schools would just drop their aid and leave the kid high and dry. USC is just letting everyone else, including the recruits and their families what USC has been doing all along
Nope, wrong again. Once a kid is deemed medically unfit to play college football, the school transfers him off of athletic scholarship and onto a medical scholarship, or medical hardship, freeing up the athletic scholarship to use again. It's one of the way Alabama get's creative on their over signing.

Example:

Alabama and head coach Nick Saban did exactly the same thing today, as the Crimson Tide will honor its offer of a scholarship to Elisha Shaw, a Georgia product who learned recently from doctors that he would not be able to continue to play college football. He had suffered a neck injury prior to his senior season, sitting out the entire year wondering if he’d get a chance to live up to his relatively high ranking in the nation. Because he only recently found out he would no longer be able to play, he continued to be heavily recruited during the fall.

When Shaw found out his career could not go on, several schools backed away, but BamaOnline.com reported a source close to Shaw said only Alabama stood by its scholarship offer to Shaw. So on national signing day, Shaw decided to announce his intention to attend school at Alabama. He will be on a medical scholarship.

Again:

According to Duke SID Art Chase today, Redshirt Junior cornerback Jared Boyd and Redshirt Junior linebacker Mario Sanders are now considered to be medical redshirts. Duke will still honor the scholarships of both Boyd and Sanders, but the medical redshirt means they have been deemed not healthy enough to play. Because of this designation, they do not count against the limit. It is expected that their playing careers are over. Boyd suffered multiple knee injuries and underwent surgery both in 2012 and 2013. Sanders suffered various ailments including back problems.

One more:

Lou Somogyi has confirmed with Brian Hardin that Brad Carrico will no longer be able to play football due to a foot injury, but still enrolled at Notre Dame on a medical scholarship.

That took all of about 5 minutes of googling. I'm sure if you looked up every D1 team and then the term football medical hardship/scholarship, you would see players like this at every school.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Absolutely correct Schmick....since it was something that U$C came up with there's no way the NCAA would ever consider it, just because it's $C.
Killian

Post by Killian »

A four year old has a similar attention span and debating skills. Holy Christ.
Killian

Post by Killian »

You're dumb as a God damn stump.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Keep it up, dummy. You're looking great.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

schmick wrote: USC is just letting everyone else, including the recruits and their families what USC has been doing all along
Any student who typed a sentence like this would have their scholarship revoked on the spot.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Schmick, eject.

Pat Haden's statement proves Killian's point. This is a change to SC policy.

Further, SC never gave Jones a scholarship after his condition was diagnosed. In the spring of his Frosh year the Drs would not clear him for spring practice. He transferred and was on a UGA scholarship as of that summer.

And calling the scantions against SC the "death penalty" proves your tardness.

This is a start and we will see most schools doing this within 5 years, but it needs to cover all sports not just football and basketball.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

This was five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Some things never change. Schmuck is still a schmuck, and a dense schmuck at that.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.