You have heard of ESPNU, but have you heard of...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: You have heard of ESPNU, but have you heard of...

Post by King Crimson »

Mace wrote:Rack KC. Judging from what I'm told by folks in western Iowa who are bombarded by the Nebraska media (tv and print), you're spot on,and, while their hatred of everything Big Red hasn't yet spread across the state of Iowa or the Big 10, it may be only a matter of time. Personally, I'll withhold judgment on the Huskers until I've had a chance to witness them for myself when I make a visit to Lincoln next fall.
there's a lot of great Husker fans. knowledgeable, buy you a beer and talk about the option blocking schemes fans. But, since Callahan (replacing Solich as the all-purpose scapegoat. Frankie is now back in the fold), something has gone wrong in the Husker psyche. They LOVED Callahan for a while.....all the new NFL jargon, rationalized his jerkoff behavior, were giddy with his Kim Jong Ill Spring Games--non-scholarship players on D, 8 billion yards of offense--his invention of the forward pass, the recruits! This is the "breakout" year, they said. and they got burned.

A lot of the Huskers who grew up on the bradhusker mid 90's teams....are just as obnoxious and sore-winner/loser as anyone else's fans in my personal in-person experience. if not moreso. UT, OU, USC...Bama all went through their "fugue state" period but NU seems to have handled their time out of the spotlight and accruing L's to the lesser teams much worse imo.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Yea...you guys are right. Texas cares deeply about it's conference brethren. Nebraska fan probably has the foresight to see that the end of cfb as we all know and love it will be forever changed and blighted because of deals like this with ESPN. Call it what you want but you know damn well this will ultimately be bad for btpcf. The future is bright for us. Enjoy the darkness and uncertainty there in bed with the swine.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

H4ever wrote:Yea...you guys are right. Texas cares deeply about it's conference brethren. Nebraska fan probably has the foresight to see that the end of cfb as we all know and love it will be forever changed and blighted because of deals like this with ESPN. Call it what you want but you know damn well this will ultimately be bad for btpcf. The future is bright for us. Enjoy the darkness and uncertainty there in bed with the swine.
You are so transparent.

Riddle me this: If ABC came to NU and offered you $300 million over 20 years, would you care about the reaction of USC? How about TCU? Florida State?

If you answer yes, you are more full of shit than i ever imagined. This was a deal that any school would die for. You are so fucking JEALOUS that you rode bitch in the Big XII that you make a big deal about this. Again, no one is making the 9 schools of the Big XII stay. If we wanted to join another conference, we could. Go away and enjoy 6th place in the Big 10. You deserve it.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

H4ever wrote:Texas cares deeply about it's conference brethren.

Like NU cares anymore than anyone else. They wanted unlimited prop 48s the rest of the conf didn't and they bitched and whined. Didn't see much caring about the other members.
H4ever wrote:Nebraska fan probably has the foresight to see that the end of cfb as we all know and love it will be forever changed and blighted because of deals like this with ESPN. Call it what you want but you know damn well this will ultimately be bad for btpcf.
Yeah, and Nebraska fan probably knew that ND's deal with NBC would be the end of cfb as we all knew it.

H4ever wrote:I don't take care if it takes 20 years...Texas is done or at least cooked. Stick a fork in them.
20 years! Damn way to stick your neck out there. So if they win another Title or two and then have a few down years you are going to come in here and claim 'bode in 2030? Well forgive me if I don't rack you right now.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Tejas still = swine

Sincerely,

former SWC

We shall discuss this further when Texas betrays all that remain. You guys seriously need to be more objective about these developments and see it for what it is. ESPN? NBC? Tell me you know the difference in your exerience. Enjoy the next 10 plus years of Tejas pimpin' on the ESPN/Tejas network as these transparant fucks play their financial stake. Yea...that's good for cfb.

Pathetic....
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Harvdog wrote:
H4ever wrote:Yea...you guys are right. Texas cares deeply about it's conference brethren. Nebraska fan probably has the foresight to see that the end of cfb as we all know and love it will be forever changed and blighted because of deals like this with ESPN. Call it what you want but you know damn well this will ultimately be bad for btpcf. The future is bright for us. Enjoy the darkness and uncertainty there in bed with the swine.
You are so transparent.

Riddle me this: If ABC came to NU and offered you $300 million over 20 years, would you care about the reaction of USC? How about TCU? Florida State?

If you answer yes, you are more full of shit than i ever imagined. This was a deal that any school would die for. You are so fucking JEALOUS that you rode bitch in the Big XII that you make a big deal about this. Again, no one is making the 9 schools of the Big XII stay. If we wanted to join another conference, we could. Go away and enjoy 6th place in the Big 10. You deserve it.
Dude lives in his own little fantasy. The Pac wanted Texas, OU, and A&M and were even willing to accept some of the lesser brethren to gain the big three; not Nebraska though, not even a whisper. The SEC spent much of last spring and summer wooing aTm and Oklahoma... not a peep about Nebraska. Cornholer jumped ship to the only people who would have them, congrats. Oklahoma, aTm, and Texas chose to stay together.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Harvdog wrote:
You are so transparent.

Dude lives in his own little fantasy. The Pac wanted Texas, OU, and A&M and were even willing to accept some of the lesser brethren to gain the big three; not Nebraska though, not even a whisper. The SEC spent much of last spring and summer wooing aTm and Oklahoma... not a peep about Nebraska. Cornholer jumped ship to the only people who would have them, congrats. Oklahoma, aTm, and Texas chose to stay together.
Harvdog,

As soon as Warren Buffet bestows about 15 billion on the U....your ESPN, spread-leg contract will mean exactely dick in comparison. That said.....let's discuss academics...Nebaska in the Big 10 made perfect sense if you beyond the swine-moves and conduct by Tejas.

Perlman, and the UNL academic community, wanted this move in the worst way because of the benefits to that side of the house. While the most publicly viewed effects of this move will be seen in athletics, the move to the CIC is an absolute game changer for the University. Perlman has made some great moves in his tenure to improve the profile and status of UNL in the academic community. This move to the Big Ten is his legacy. Google 'Consortium of Institutional Cooperation' and read for yourself.

Nebraska to the Big 10 is a wonderful thing for Husker fan no matter how you slice it. Good luck fella...you're living on a prayer.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Harvdog wrote:
You are so transparent.

To be fair, all of that wooing went on after CU and NU had already moved on to greener pastures. Why would the Pac or the SEC make overtures to an NU team that was already spoken for?
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

one of the biggest jokes ever is that NU or CU will "benefit" by new conference affiliation because of "Academics". academics don't care or even know about the Big Ten or Pac re: their own research. when i see that mentioned, i laugh.

it's a fantasy that sports fans (who usually hate on "the classroom") like to imagine.

making C's is easy. that's what D-1 football is all about. end of story. NU "academics" won't have any more or less contact with UM or Northwestern "academics" than they ever did. it just doesn't work like that. most "academics" at NU don't even know what conference NU is in in the first place.
Last edited by King Crimson on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote: To be fair, all of that wooing went on after CU and NU had already moved on to greener pastures. Why would the Pac or the SEC make overtures to an NU team that was already spoken for?
to be fair, that's untrue. CU's invite to the pac was independent of the Big "invite" to UT, OU, OSU, ATM....and such. but it wasn't "after" anything. the SEC has been talking to OU and ATM on and off for a long time.

this according to my dad, who was Billy Tubbs' legal rep at OU, with Converse, and knows OU's legal counsel for the last 25 years. mike, you and i both know CU couldn't possibly be at a worse place in terms of desirability over the last 20 years based on performance re: men's revenue sports in the last 5 years. you guys got lucky. OU had choices. ATM had choices. Colorado got lucky by the algebra of media markets (with some frosting about "academics" on the top). you shouldn't be on here bragging.

the reason that the SEC or Pac didn't' make overtures to NU, is that NU has no media market. or any adjacent one. they weren't on the big list and they have been a mediocre team for a decade and were riding bitch in the Big XII. NU has tradition, and some national fans....but they don't give you Dallas, or anything. Just Omaha.
"
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

King Crimson wrote:one of the biggest jokes ever is that NU or CU will "benefit" by new conference affiliation because of "Academics". academics don't care or even know about the Big Ten or Pac re: their own research. when i see that mentioned, i laugh.

it's a fantasy that sports fans (who usually hate on "the classroom") like to imagine.

making C's is easy. that's what D-1 football is all about. end of story. NU "academics" won't have any more or less contact with UM or Northwestern "academics" than they ever did. it just doesn't work like that. most "academics" at NU don't even know what conference NU is in in the first place.

I laughed. Google it.

P.S. OU sucked a tremendously fat frank under Blake and others following the Switzer era and I won't even pull the "all time wins" card.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote: To be fair, all of that wooing went on after CU and NU had already moved on to greener pastures. Why would the Pac or the SEC make overtures to an NU team that was already spoken for?
Bullshit the wooing is what prompted NU to make the move supposedly.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

H4ever wrote:
King Crimson wrote:one of the biggest jokes ever is that NU or CU will "benefit" by new conference affiliation because of "Academics". academics don't care or even know about the Big Ten or Pac re: their own research. when i see that mentioned, i laugh.

I laughed. Google it.

P.S. OU sucked a tremendously fat frank under Blake and others following the Switzer era and I won't even pull the "all time wins" card.
Nebraska has sucked the majority of the last eight years. Scoreboard. We won the last meeting, Scoreboard. We have more conference titles, scoreboard. We have more national titles, scoreboard! We have produced more Heisman trophies, Scoreboard. We have produced more all americans, scoreboard! We bring in major media markets, Scoreboard! In every conceivable fashion Oklahoma football has scoreboard on Nebraska. Play your OU sucked over a decade ago tune all you want... you've been our bitch my entire adult life and that's all I really care about.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

H4ever wrote:

I laughed. Google it.

i'll be sure and google it. moron.

let's play your fake game here.....i bet those Big Ten scholars are drooling to have Dick Cavett type "academics" rolling out their wampass genius.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

H4ever wrote: I won't even pull the "all time wins" card.
and you shouldn't because OU has the series lead 45-38-3. and, like a clock, we beat your ass when it mattered for the last time for the conference championship. i honestly didn't give a shit, but you guys played it up like you were gonna take the Trophy and leave. and NU was all awesome to the BIg Ten and Tom Shatel and making it matter? remember that? How you posted about it........and how it didn't happen? EAD.

7 NC's to your 5. and Dr. Tom was a serious Vegas pee on me bitch for Switzer.

5-12 against Switzer and never better than .500 against OU was "Ozzy". Your god. 5-12 with better teams a lot of the time is serious bitch.
"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:the educated fans
I laughed.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:I like seeing all you Big 12ers bitchin' and screechin' at eash other.

The level of hatred I see in here between Nebraska and Texas/Big 12 folks is surprising. Never knew there was so much animosity betwixt y'all.

Bammers give the Aubs shit all year and they do the same to us, but, in my experience, everyone gets along 99% of the time. There is some degree of "hatred", but I don't see it among the educated fans. Sure I didn't want Auburn to win a NC, but they did, it's done and I'm over it. Doesn't seem to affect me like it would have 20 years ago.

No we just all pretty much hate Nebraska's whinny cunts anymore. The last decade they have contributed about jack shit to this conference outside of women's volleyball and think they are taking the world with them when they leave; sadly they don't realize after the way they have acted the last decade and a half none of us are sad to see them part ways and only ask they don't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Sudden Sam wrote:The level of hatred I see in here between Nebraska and Texas/Big 12 folks is surprising. Never knew there was so much animosity betwixt y'all.
Let me put it into terms you can relate to...

You know how you got married and you and your wife had a mutual respect for each other? Hey, you shared a bed and all. Let's be friends, right? Let's be honest, you wanted a piece of her "pie" and you played nice. All of a sudden, time goes on and she's not quite as attractive. One day, she decides she doesn't want to share her half of the bed with you and sure as shit doesn't want to venture onto your side of the bed. You take matters into your own hands. You dominate (if you know what I mean). She knows her time is limited and figures to get while the gettin' is good as you beat the fuckshit out of her on her way out the door (see t.u./OU/A&M victories over the Pusskers this past year).

In a nutshell, that's what happened, and the Pusskers will forever be known as the psycho bitch, kinda like your second wife. Got it now?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:The level of hatred I see in here between Nebraska and Texas/Big 12 folks is surprising. Never knew there was so much animosity betwixt y'all.
Let me put it into terms you can relate to...

You know how you got married and you and your wife had a mutual respect for each other? Hey, you shared a bed and all. Let's be friends, right? Let's be honest, you wanted a piece of her "pie" and you played nice. All of a sudden, time goes on and she's not quite as attractive. One day, she decides she doesn't want to share her half of the bed with you and sure as shit doesn't want to venture onto your side of the bed. You take matters into your own hands. You dominate (if you know what I mean). She knows her time is limited and figures to get while the gettin' is good as you beat the fuckshit out of her on her way out the door (see t.u./OU/A&M victories over the Pusskers this past year).

In a nutshell, that's what happened, and the Pusskers will forever be known as the psycho bitch, kinda like your second wife. Got it now?
Rack!!!

Sam it's not hatred between Nebraska and Texas. Look at the threads the last few months... Yeah Cornholler has gone at it with Harv numerous times but not on this thread. Remember that rivalry built on "respect" that died the moment Oklahoma came back to prominence and Dr. Switzer's Bitch couldn't use option teams to throw hail mary bombs up 4TDs with 10 minutes left in the game and 160 players on the sidelines and in the stands; Me, KC, BtH are Texas fans? Wagon and Truman are Texas fans? Indy is a Texas fan? Shit Sam to a T Big 12 fan is ushering them out the door as fast as humanly possible. Is Big 12 front office dude a little upset? Maybe a little... is Big 12 fan unhappy to see them hit the dirt road to be the bitch to Columbus and Ann Arbor they way they have Norman and Austin? Not in the least.

Big Telleven fan should take not because the writing is on the wall... we don't want these whining, sniveling, cry babies on our front lawns begging for hand outs and then bitching about it anymore. Have fun with 'em... they won't be missed.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Left Seater wrote:Typical Jonsense.

They players are not hostages, nor are the players being taken advantage of.

Tell me, when exactly did you sign your letter of intent or renew your athletic scholarship?

Those of us who did knew exactly what we were signing up for. No one held any one of us hostage. If we wanted to get paid we could have skipped college and gone to work.
What do I have to do with anything? You played in the 80's, correct?

Players aren't being held hostage? Meh. They're getting paid essentially $12,000 or so per year (cost of education) to make a school MILLIONS. There's something VERY wrong with that.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Mace wrote:
Left Seater wrote:Typical Jonsense.

They players are not hostages, nor are the players being taken advantage of.

Tell me, when exactly did you sign your letter of intent or renew your athletic scholarship?

Those of us who did knew exactly what we were signing up for. No one held any one of us hostage. If we wanted to get paid we could have skipped college and gone to work.
Rack. It's an opportunity for the players to get a free college education (4-5 years) and to play the sport that they love. A small percentage of them will get a shot at pro sports but the vast majority can get a college education and pursue a career in their chosen profession. I agree that the BCS and the bowl system are jokes and, like many folks, would like to see a playoff, but that's another topic.
Oh, I get so tired of the "they're getting a free education" BS.

Schools and organizations are making millions of dollars while they get a $12,000 annual salary (essentially). These greedy bastards hide behind the "education" bullshit because they can. I made more than $12,000 per year.........in HIGH SCHOOL. The value to a university or organization (ie NCAA) these athletes have is incredibly high because of how much money they make them. Where the fuck can you go work that you provide great value to your employer and only get paid $12,000 per year?

Half the athletes don't even give a shit about the education, so what value does it have for them? And before you claim "well, they should value their education", not everyone goes to college. Some people go straight into the workforce.

You've got teams having their own networks so they can go make some more money and build a brand new volleyball arena that nobody gives 2 shits about or a giant fucking videoboard. Guess where they're getting all that money from? The football players. Without them, none of that is possible. I can pretty much guarantee you there isn't a college football player out there that wouldn't rather get paid a real salary instead of the school building a 6,000 story videoboard or a new volleyball court that no one will ever see since, well.........nobody watches college volleyball unless you're drunk and horny and wanna see some of your fellow coeds bend over in their short shorts.

That bullshit "they get a free education" argument has got to stop. It's not okay that these schools make bucket loads of money off of the football players in exchange for a fucking education that half of them don't even give a shit about. That argument hasn't held any weight since about 1990, or before.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

TheJON wrote:I made more than $12,000 per year.........in HIGH SCHOOL....playing online poker.
FTFY.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

TheJON wrote:
Oh, I get so tired of the "they're getting a free education" BS.

That bullshit "they get a free education" argument has got to stop. It's not okay that these schools make bucket loads of money off of the football players in exchange for a fucking education that half of them don't even give a shit about. That argument hasn't held any weight since about 1990, or before.

I don't know what color the sky is in your world, Jon, but a college education is more than $12,000 a year. These players get the best physical training daily, a room to live in for 4 years, all their meals taken care of, all of their travel taken care of for games, a major college education, and if they are good, they get on TV and it helps promote them for whatever job they take after college. For every Peyton Manning their is a Rod Babers. Peyton makes millions in the NFL while Rod has a radio show in Austin. He got the opportunity because he played football for Texas and could give information about the life of a college player and insight into the program. Add that shit up and it is worth more than $12,000. My best guess is that is approached $75,000+ per year for their "Free education."

What about the guys that are hyped out of high school, signs a 4 year letter of intent and goes to a major college, gets all this "free education" shit and sucks as a college player? Should he pay it back since the school lost money on him? Believe me, there are more of the fringe players than the Mannings and Bradys.

They have an option......don't go to college and don't play ball or follow the rules set up by the NCAA.

Simple as that. No one makes these guys go to school. They want to because they know it will lead to better things in life.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

TheJON wrote:They're getting paid essentially $12,000 or so per year (cost of education) to make a school MILLIONS. There's something VERY wrong with that.
Do you realize how stupid this sounds?

Some people only make 15-20k/year (pre-tax, not that they will pay any taxes) while earning the corporation BILLIONS. It's called LIFE. Those people getting 15-20k/year were either too stupid, too poor or both to get a college education. Most likely too stupid because my high school gilfriend had no money, waited tables and lived with her parents after high school and she was still able to get student loans and a little grant money to get started at community college and then after two years transferred to Stephen F Austin where she got a teaching degree. After all that, she's probably making around 35k/year in her teaching gig. Not glamorous, but she will make for herself what she makes of herself. Haven't heard from her in 12 years, but I'm sure she's doing fine.

The education these players are offered (and room/board/clothes) is AMPLE compensation. If they choose to piss the opportunity away, well, we all need someone to bring us our food or pick up our trash. It's their choice what they do with the opportunity they have earned and are given.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

IndyFrisco wrote:she's probably making around 35k/year in her teaching gig.
She's either quite the moron or the state she teaches in pays its teachers in peanuts. Remind me to never raise my kids where your h/s girlfriend lives.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:raise my kids
I laughed.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:she's probably making around 35k/year in her teaching gig.
She's either quite the moron or the state she teaches in pays its teachers in peanuts. Remind me to never raise my kids where your h/s girlfriend lives.
I fully admit to having no idea what a teacher in a town of 25k people in Texas makes, nor do I care. You're reaching now.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

First off, I played in the 90's.

Now as has already been pointed out to you Jon, this happens everywhere in life. Most people call it a job.

Take some of the people I have flown.

Example A:

Guy works for GSK developing medications. He develops a drug that reduces the side effects of some of the common drugs used to treat severe mental disorders. Dude made around $150K per year, told to me directly on night at dinner. This drug he "invented" was estimated to conservatively bring in $3 to $5 billion for GSK over a decade.

Example B:

Guy works for ###### exploration company in Houston as a geologist. He makes $87K per year. He finds a way to recover millions of barrels of natural gas from fields in S. Texas that where thought to be beyond their useful life. His company quietly bought up the mineral rights and now stands to produce well over 9 figures a year.

Exampel C:

Prof at Rice King Walters develops pioneering work on helium optical pumping, which forms the basis of ultrasensitive magnetometers still used in diverse applications such as submarine detection as well as ultrasensitive MRI imaging. Dude doesn't get any money from the sale of patents etc, instead the univ reinvests the money back into the school.

Again, the scholarship athletes are due no more than they get now. Further until you get the Feds to reverse Title IX, this rant of yours is dead. You can't pay football and basketball players and not women's swimmers.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Left Seater wrote:You can't pay football and basketball players and not women's swimmers.
Forget this part of the argument for a moment (which is very valid), how do you justify paying a football player at Notre Dame the same thing you pay a football player at Wyoming? Both are D1a, so how do you distinguish? Do you pay the walk-on's? What about preffered walk-on's? What about walk-on's who then earn a scholarship, do they get back pay?

Paying D1A athetes will never happen. I do think (not sure if it has changed) they should be allowed to get a job during their offseason.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Yes, they are allowed jobs, remember the BIg Red Autos, deal? Work an hour make a grand, or something along those lines. :P

I don't think athletes should be working for boosties. All off season jobs should be thru the school and that way the school is handling payment. There are plenty of jobs around even the smallest campus for those that want/need to work.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Left Seater wrote:Yes, they are allowed jobs, remember the BIg Red Autos, deal? Work an hour make a grand, or something along those lines. :P

I don't think athletes should be working for boosties. All off season jobs should be thru the school and that way the school is handling payment. There are plenty of jobs around even the smallest campus for those that want/need to work.
always honking the SWC schools and Texas, eh Lefty? i knew that Big Red comment from someone....was coming from a mile away. i worked landscaping at Vandy one summer with a couple basketball players.....and about 4 hours of work, for 9 hours pay was pretty much the going rate. taking the job seriously was mos def frowned upon. but, the first year was part of my partial golf/academic scholly. and when i didn't make the golf team (too much marijuana smoking and shit playing at the tryouts), it was academic.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote:I like seeing all you Big 12ers bitchin' and screechin' at eash other.

The level of hatred I see in here between Nebraska and Texas/Big 12 folks is surprising. Never knew there was so much animosity betwixt y'all.
Let me try to clear things up.

There is no real life animosity between Texas and Nebraska. This is message board drama confined to a few drama queens. They quote numbers like they were coming out of or going into their bank account.

There might be some old time blood rivalries in what was the Big XII, but Texas/Nebraska isn't one of those. Maybe Oklahoma/Texas is, but I can't speak to that. Seems more contrived than an actual feud that goes back 150 years.

Kansas/Missouri, that's another story. I can't really describe it in a few short sentences or paragraphs. Suffice to say that if someone professes to be a Jayhawk fan, wears their gear, etc... piss on them.

I don't want to be their friend and I trust the feeling is mutual. It goes beyond sports.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

IndyFrisco wrote:
TheJON wrote:They're getting paid essentially $12,000 or so per year (cost of education) to make a school MILLIONS. There's something VERY wrong with that.
Do you realize how stupid this sounds?

Some people only make 15-20k/year (pre-tax, not that they will pay any taxes) while earning the corporation BILLIONS. It's called LIFE. Those people getting 15-20k/year were either too stupid, too poor or both to get a college education. Most likely too stupid because my high school gilfriend had no money, waited tables and lived with her parents after high school and she was still able to get student loans and a little grant money to get started at community college and then after two years transferred to Stephen F Austin where she got a teaching degree. After all that, she's probably making around 35k/year in her teaching gig. Not glamorous, but she will make for herself what she makes of herself. Haven't heard from her in 12 years, but I'm sure she's doing fine.

The education these players are offered (and room/board/clothes) is AMPLE compensation. If they choose to piss the opportunity away, well, we all need someone to bring us our food or pick up our trash. It's their choice what they do with the opportunity they have earned and are given.
No, you're DEAD wrong. NOBODY makes $15k-$20k per year in the corporate world being the SOLE reason the corporation was making millions/billions. Not one single job.........ever.

You can't compare some dude doing data entry for a major corporation in one small department of the company to football players that are the ONLY reason for the money that is being made.

You can 86 a data entry job and the corporation doesn't go down the shitter. You 86 the football players and you can shut down the athletic department.

You have to understand that you can't just take the price tag of tuition and claim it's valuable to the players. It's not. Not for many of them. What's the BCS average graduation rate? 45%??? What good did that do for the rest of them? And even the ones that did graduate, some of them probably could have received an academic scholarship anyways, some of them will struggle to find decent employment following college, and some of them will actually make something of that education. I know, Frisco.......that's their own fault for not valuing a college education and they should take their studies seriously. But to that I would ask where the law requires you to graduate from college is? They make these schools and organizations an insane amount of money and the BEST they get out of it is a fucking education? Come on. That's ridiculous.

You don't think a high percentage of them would rather just have cash? I don't even think they should be forced to go to school to play football anymore. I never thought I'd actually say that because I've always been of the opinion that college is good for you and these kids are given a great opportunity. But the money has gotten out of control. Too many people and organizations are now making WAY too much money off of these kids. If they want a free education + maybe a small monthly income, they can have it. If they don't care to go to class, pay them the difference of a college education in monthly payments + force them to take some life skills class 3-4 times a week for a couple of hours. That way they're not just out smoking crack all day (like Iowa's star players do!).

If you ask me, half of those scholarships are just wasted anyway so what's the point? And before you say "that's absurd, it's COLLEGE football, not pro football. the ncaa would lose all credibility". The NCAA lost all credibility 10-12 years ago. It's a joke of an organization that cares NOTHING about academics and ALL about MONEY. They're not a well respected organization anyway. College is useless for those that don't want to be there. Half of them just take PE and Art classes just to stay eligible. What good does that do for them?

And there are plenty of people that didn't go to college that go on to earn a nice living/have success in life. And just because you have a college degree doesn't mean you'll do shit with it.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

You can't pay football and basketball players and not women's swimmers.
Why not? I have never understood this argument. Football and men's basketball players bring in money for the school. Women's swimmers do not. I assume your reasoning is "it's not fair", correct? That's horsepuckey. He who brings company money, gets money. It's an old chinese proverb I just made up.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

King Crimson wrote:
Left Seater wrote:Yes, they are allowed jobs, remember the BIg Red Autos, deal? Work an hour make a grand, or something along those lines. :P

always honking the SWC schools and Texas, eh Lefty? i knew that Big Red comment from someone....was coming from a mile away. i worked landscaping at Vandy one summer with a couple basketball players.....and about 4 hours of work, for 9 hours pay was pretty much the going rate. taking the job seriously was mos def frowned upon. but, the first year was part of my partial golf/academic scholly. and when i didn't make the golf team (too much marijuana smoking and shit playing at the tryouts), it was academic.
I was gonna say that players being allowed to work summer jobs is nothing new. Back when I was a student manager at ND, I remember on one occasion being tasked with going through some surveys completed by football players at the end of the season. One of the questions was (I shit you not):
Do you want the Alumni Association to find you a summer job? If so, in what city?
That was back in the 80's.

I would propose a compromise in the "should athletes be paid" debate: athletic scholarships should include a small stipend, just so that they have enough spending money to do some of the things other students do. In that regard, I would note that my ROTC scholarship included a small stipend ($100/month), although to be fair, it didn't pay for room and board, which the athletic scholarships did. Further, as I understand it, ROTC scholarships have now been capped at a certain dollar amount, so a ROTC scholarship doesn't necessarily guarantee full tuition anymore (in my day, tuition at a private school was probably about 25% of tuition at the same school today, and if anything, that's probably a conservative estimate of the tuition increase since then).
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Jonsense,

Your problem then is not with the NCAA. Kids don't HAVE to go to college and play football. They do it because the NFL requires kids to be 3 years removed from high school before they can play professionally. Therefore, the kids go to college to advertise their skills. So, your problem is with the NFL, not the NCAA. Go bitch in the NFL forum about its rules. College is a privilege, an expensive one at that. If some deadbeat who can run fast or hit hard wants to piss it away, so be it. They aren't entitled to shit.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

IndyFrisco wrote:Jonsense,

Your problem then is not with the NCAA. Kids don't HAVE to go to college and play football. They do it because the NFL requires kids to be 3 years removed from high school before they can play professionally. Therefore, the kids go to college to advertise their skills. So, your problem is with the NFL, not the NCAA. Go bitch in the NFL forum about its rules. College is a privilege, an expensive one at that. If some deadbeat who can run fast or hit hard wants to piss it away, so be it. They aren't entitled to shit.
So why are the schools, the conferences, the television networks, the NCAA etc. entitled to something?

Give me one good reason why they deserve to get rich off of 18-22 year olds that get nothing more than a college education that 50% don't care about?

And tell me what good that scholarship does for someone that takes Art and PE classes just to stay eligible? What's the point of it?

I have no problem with the NFL. That's real football. College football is a scam. It's being ruined by big corporations. Our non-conference schedules are laughable at best. Nobody plays anyone. The bowl games are a complete joke. And guess what? People are making millions off of this joke of a sport. The fans get screwed, the athletes who make it all possible get screwed, and the greedy bastards that do nothing other than promote the sport get PAID.

At least in the NFL you've got quality games EVERY WEEK, a true playoff system, and the players are making their fair share in the deal. There's no Sperm Donors Playboy.com Bowl or Texas vs Odessa-Permian. The BCS is KILLING this sport. But it's okay cuz they're making millions, right Frisco?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

TheJON wrote: Why not? I have never understood this argument. Football and men's basketball players bring in money for the school. Women's swimmers do not. I assume your reasoning is "it's not fair", correct? That's horsepuckey. He who brings company money, gets money. It's an old chinese proverb I just made up.
Really? Football and men's basketball players bring in money for the school?
Of the 119 FBS football teams, 68 (57.1 percent) finished the year in the black.
Of the 119 FBS schools playing men's basketball, 67 teams made a profit.
TheJon wrote:You can 86 a data entry job and the corporation doesn't go down the shitter. You 86 the football players and you can shut down the athletic department.
You can't 86 many jobs and still keep a company alive. What is an airline without pilots, a construction company without laborers, an oil exploration company without drillers, etc?
TheJon wrote:You 86 the football players and you can shut down the athletic department.
Wrong, you fail again. 95% of us are fans of the school, not the players. Sure we get attached to some and others become legends, but players come and go all the time. We are still fans of the school. We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL. Frisco said it best, your issue is with the NFL and their collectively barganed rules. These players don't have to play in college if they don't like the agreement. Hell, let them go to the CFL or somewhere else.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Left Seater wrote: We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL.
huh?

Are you trying to say that fans of an NFL team can't or don't support their franchise just as fervently as the most avid CFB devotee?

If so, you'd be wrong.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote:
Left Seater wrote: We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back, unlike your beloved NFL.
huh?

Are you trying to say that fans of an NFL team can't or don't support their franchise just as fervently as the most avid CFB devotee?

If so, you'd be wrong.
Oh, I don't know Wags. I've seen the same people wearing Favre jerseys in two different shades of green and also in purple. I really think we're talking apples and oranges here.