Digging out, anyone?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Digging out, anyone?

Post by War Wagon »

The Christmas Eve/Day blizzard dumped about 7-8 inches 'round these parts, which ordinarily isn't all that much to deal with. But the fucking wind has piled that shit into drifts 3 feet high in some places, most notably in my drive-way.

And no, I don't have a snow blower, so I've spent most of the day shoveling that heavy stuff left and right. I'll go at it for about 30 minutes, then rest for 30. Damned hard work.

Of course the dead end side street where I live has never once seen a city snow plow or salt truck in the 23 years I've lived here. What usually will happen is that unless it warms up soon (which ain't gonna' happen) the snow all gets packed down and turns into a solid sheet of ice for weeks at a time.

That sucks, so a bunch of the neighbors all chipped in 10 bucks to hire some guy with a plow to clear the entire street... which means my driveway is gonna' get blocked in again and I'll probably be out shoveling again tomorrow.

Global warming climate change sucks.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Re: Digging out, anyone?

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote:And no, I don't have a snow blower.

Bro. Can't you just McGuyver a few shovels to the front of a fork lift and rock a make-shift plow?

Last year even I finally broke down and bought a snow thrower. Totally worth it on days when you're trying to shovel foot + of snow. Fuck that shit.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I swept some sand off the porch... does that count?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

It rained all day here.

Another sign of things gone wrong with the kids of today.

When we were kids shovelling driveways in the winter was a good source of making money.

Nowadays, you can't get them off their asses.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Mowed the yard. Next week I'll trim and edge. Nice with these short daylight hours and cooler temperatures that things do not grow as fast as in summer.
Remembering after one nor-easter in March 1993 the snow was above the top of my garage door. It took me an hour to shovel a shovel's width path out to the road so I could get out of the house. That's when I set my sights on SW FL.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Last year even I finally broke down and bought a snow thrower.
Pussy.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:When we were kids shovelling driveways in the winter was a good source of making money.
When I was a kid, anytime it snowed, my brothers and I would race home to be the first one to plow/shovel our next door neighbor's driveway and walks. She paid 5 dollars and all you could eat. She was an old Sicilian woman who insisted you sat down for a proper dinner before you left. I can still smell her sauce in my dreams.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

SunCoastSooner wrote:I swept some sand off the porch... does that count?
Easy now; been through a REAL hurricane yet?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Remembering after one nor-easter in March 1993
PA was a mess during that storm. They closed the highways and didn't let any traffic in. I shoveled a staggering amount of snow. The mailboxes on the street were entirely buried for almost two weeks.

It rained this morning, and today I jogged in shorts. We did at least have snow on the ground here for about a week.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

It almost rained today.
Go Bucs, Gators
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

This is the most inconsiderate blizzard ever. Most have the good grace to just fuck you up once, wipe it's cock on the drapes, and leave.

But not this one, oh hell no.

This circular bastard has decided to return and dump more snow.

Uncle!
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Carson wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:I swept some sand off the porch... does that count?
Easy now; been through a REAL hurricane yet?
Lived here since 2001... yes. Also lived in North Carolina for a while when I was younger.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:
Remembering after one nor-easter in March 1993
PA was a mess during that storm. They closed the highways and didn't let any traffic in. I shoveled a staggering amount of snow. The mailboxes on the street were entirely buried for almost two weeks.

It rained this morning, and today I jogged in shorts. We did at least have snow on the ground here for about a week.
I lucked out in that I was a renter for that storm. What I remember most was the wind. It blew so hard for a while that I couldn't see the apartments on the other side of the complex parking lot 100 feet away. I've never seen anything like that wind during a winter storm before or since.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Yea, we got about 10" here in Blue Springs, and the drifts piled it up pretty high.
Our Sub-Division is private so we pay for Snow removal here and they did shit.

It was so deep the wife couldn't get out with the Avalon - But my Tundra had no problem.
I looked at shoveling all that shit and said fuck that and after a little searching found one of these in Grain Valley (Indep and Lee's Summit were sold out) for my Craftsman ($260)

ImageImage

What I didn't plan on was 4 hours of assembly time and instructions as clear as mud.
Of course I had to drop the mowing deck and make space to store it
I also managed to do a few knuckle busters putting it together and lost a few ounces of blood.
By the time I was done it was Dark - so I'll plow tomorrow and may do a PET depending on how it goes
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Snot, with the typical "I'm better than you" post.

:jerkoffsmilie:
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Our weather sounds a bit like PSUFAN's. Last weekend we had about 20 inches of snow. I had papers to write for school so I was content to be snowed in. Then we got the call that my wife had to go to the doctors Sunday morning. So I'm shovelling just enough to get the Jimmy out.

We get halfway to the docs which is about an hour or so away and they call to cancel.

Back to shovelling. It's like a workout. Use your legs not your back. One scooop at a time.

And my back and bad shoulder were killing me the next morning.

Today, rain, warmth, and you couldn't tell we had a white Christmas just yesterday. Amazing.

Now I'm paranoid listening to the sump pump and looking at the ceilings upstairs.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year folks.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

BSmack wrote:I can still smell her sauce in my dreams.
Really?
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Woke up this morning to another fresh 2" of new snow overnight. With that and the wind still blowing the drifts around, you can barely tell that I had done a damn thing yesterday. And as for our freshly plowed street, fuhgeddaboutit. :brad:

Oh well, at least it's finally stopped and the sun is trying to break thru.

Spent 2 hours this morning digging my mother-in-laws car out. Scored major points with the wifey that I hope to redeem soon.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

We had some snow here... about a year ago. Should mean we're off the hook for at least a couple of years.

It rained a few drops last night, though.

Winter has been very dry and calm by U&L standards. December is the rainiest month of the year, and it's barely rained (that will change soon, no doubt). Besides a week of cold, it's been pretty darned nice (won't last).

I even played 9 holes saturday.

And Wolfman talking about "short daylight hours" was good for a laugh... sin, North of the 45th Parallel, where it just got light after 8AM, and will be dark by 4:45 (much earlier if it was overcast).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So much for that golf weather.

Two years in a row with snow on the ground? I want a refund or something.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one