Happy 10th Anniversary

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Happy 10th Anniversary

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

1999 was the year I signed up on the late, great Rome boards. Pretty sure most of the other old-timers in here were also part of the Class of 99. Hard to believe we've been going at each other for 10 years now. I feel old.

Edited to fix the thread title.
Last edited by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keys, woman!"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Happy 10th Anniversay

Post by Dinsdale »

I was early 2001.

Seems like a long time ago.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

'99 for me.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I think it was 1999 for me as well.

Talking shit about Nebraska's thugs was how I made my presence known!!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I sure miss the CORN FED STUD, though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

2001 for me. My first memory was reading 88's 2001 synopsis for Notre Dame. He had them going to the Orange Bowl (I think) at 5-7 and playing their 3rd string QB. :lol:
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It's gotta be around 2000 for me when I joined Smack Chat...can't believe it's been this long.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

either late 00 or early 01 for me. smack chat III i think. didn't really post much until the first move to another non-Rome board. as with others, can't believe that was so long ago. so, what did happen to MTCCH?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

I keep thinking I jumped on back in like 98 or even earlier? I remember well: Snake Plishken, Gucci, Aggie Gal, DMX, AK in Bugaha, Shaz in H town, MTCCH, and others I forget right now. Changed jobs, got married, divorced, re-married...always checked back in from time to time and usually just lurked...especially when my first marriage was going to shit. I could always count on a good laugh by watching u all smack each other around. That really helped back then.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Killian wrote:2001 for me. My first memory was reading 88's 2001 synopsis for Notre Dame. He had them going to the Orange Bowl (I think) at 5-7 and playing their 3rd string QB. :lol:
You were an old Rome board member, right?

I thought we were gone by the start of the 2001 football season? Thought it was around that summer that site imploded.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Don't remember the year but I joined through the Rome board. Got in to it with the OU and Nebraska guys back then.

Good times.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

TheJON wrote:
Killian wrote:2001 for me. My first memory was reading 88's 2001 synopsis for Notre Dame. He had them going to the Orange Bowl (I think) at 5-7 and playing their 3rd string QB. :lol:

I thought we were gone by the start of the 2001 football season? Thought it was around that summer that site imploded.

I think that was when unchecked, pron popped up all over the board for a day or two and the whole site was shut down.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I think that was when unchecked, pron popped up all over the board for a day or two and the whole site was shut down.
I remember hearing something about that, but I didn't log on the day(s) that was up.

Few days later I signed on and there was no board. I remember sending OUSkull an IM on AOL asking what happened and I can't remember what he said. Then Mister Twister (RIP) found me on an Iowa board about a year later and I've been improving the quality of these here boards ever since!

You guys can all thank Mister Twister or I probably never would have rediscovered this group.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Everytime one of the boards shut down (how many have there been?) somebody sent an invite to the next joint. Hell I think Babs found me one time...haha.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

TheJON wrote:

Tail end of the Rome board. Got about 100 posts in before it got nuked. Originally was SpartanMick and started Killian as a troll. Lost where you fuckers went, but saw the terrorist draft thread on the OU board and dropped Skull a line. Been here ever since.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

WolverineSteve wrote:Everytime one of the boards shut down (how many have there been?) somebody sent an invite to the next joint. Hell I think Babs found me one time...haha.

Yep, Fanhome? That comes to mind.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

'01 here... the people who brought me over are long gone now. LK and WaZ...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: Happy 10th Anniversary

Post by TheJON »

I keep hearing how lame Fanhome was. It's a shame I missed that stop. I would have fucked that site up!! I've pretty much been banned from every homer board I ever posted on. Even Iowa boards! Total bullshit.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

the smack was more intense then. now we're like internet friends or some shit. van and .m2 actually go on dates.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

M Club wrote:the smack was more intense then. now we're like internet friends or some shit. van and .m2 actually go on dates.
I dunno. We couldn't even cuss on the Rome board until the end. That was pretty tough for me, being that I was 19 years old and it was painful having to refrain from telling someone I wanted to "fucking rape the shit out of their mother" or something along those lines. Instead, I had to say "I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you but maybe we could further discuss this over a cup of coffee".

Speaking of Rome,

Remember when he was actually good? I still listen occasionally, but that show has gone downhill big time.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

TheJON wrote:
Speaking of Rome,

Remember when he was actually good? I still listen occasionally, but that show has gone downhill big time.
I will check it out occasionally when Howard is on vacation. The whole show is fucking inside jokes now. It's like he's just waiting for the right moment to wedge in yet another "FAT!" reset. I guess you could say the same thing about Howard, but I actually get those inside jokes, and more importantly, they're actually funny.
"Keys, woman!"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i only listened to rome when i delivered pizzas in college. alas, i don't deliver pizzas anymore, so i haven't listened to the guy in quite some time. five, six months?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

January 2000 for me.

Very first post was on a thread positing that the Bills were cursed as a result of Norwood's missed FG in SB XXV. I agreed with the basic premise but pointed out that the curse went back much farther than that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

My first ever post was to Roofer. It was about Pete Rose, and how he deserves to be in the HOF.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He may never get in, because of the hypocrisy of TPTB in MLB, but he should've been a first ballot guy.

No way in hell Pete Rose shouldn't be enshrined in the HOF.

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

I have no idea what my first post was about, but I remember an early flame war with BtH in which I utilized some highly effective "trailer park" smack.

Because, like, Alaska is known for trailer parks, or something...

:oops:
"Keys, woman!"
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Van wrote:He may never get in, because of the hypocrisy of TPTB in MLB, but he should've been a first ballot guy.

No way in hell Pete Rose shouldn't be enshrined in the HOF.
An arguement for another day, but I'll tgake the other side.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Believe the Heupel wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I have no idea what my first post was about, but I remember an early flame war with BtH in which I utilized some highly effective "trailer park" smack.

Because, like, Alaska is known for trailer parks, or something...

:oops:
:D

I don't remember that.
Heh. I suppose "flame war" might be an overstatement. We just went around a bit prior to the CU/OU game that year. I think I just assumed you were in OK and made some tornado reference and you pointed out the infrequency of tornadoes in Alaska.

Or maybe you just don't remember because you've finally succeeded in completely repressing the John Blake era from your memory, in which case, forget I even brought it up... :D
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:No idea when I got in/on.

One of the perils of getting old. No memory. Every time I sign in, I meet all you new posters. Van, Smackie, Spray, Mgo...all of you are new to me each day. Everyone I meet during the day is a new acquaintance. It's great!
Sam, how's about that 50$ you owe me? hey hey?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Believe the Heupel wrote:And I kind of miss the no-cursing. You actually had to be sort of creative.
I also miss the no race smack rule. Log on to the main board, and one would have a hard time believing today that a predecessor board had that rule, unless one knew better. I remember the time Dr. D dropped an n-bomb on Index (first time I'd ever seen it on that board), and the fallout that ensued.

Things have definitely changed in this little interwebs community over the years. Not always for the better.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

WolverineSteve wrote:Everytime one of the boards shut down (how many have there been?) somebody sent an invite to the next joint. Hell I think Babs found me one time...haha.
Ah yes...THE Spreadsheet. I kept a "confidential" spreadsheet long ago of everyone's email. They sent me an email address they frequented and I kept them under lock and key. As soon as we were ready to get up and move to the next joint, I would send out the mass email with the new site. Good times.

So...can we come up with a timeline? I joined in August of 1999.

1. SCIII
2. Some FSU board RTS directed us all to
3. fanhome
4. hostboard
5. rackthetrolls.com
6. thetrolls.com
7. scobode.com

I'm sure I'm missing some. If I'm missing something here or something is out of order, let me know.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Never quite was sure why I was a moderator there-or even why they have moderators for CdS.
Just in case there's a picture of someone with an arm up their ass without a (!) or (G) on it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mmmm....I'm guessing anyone who posts a pic like that in the CFB or NFL forum without the appropriate tags would get a lengthy timeout. Someone posting it with the tags would get it deleted with a warning not to post that shit here where we tend to be a little more serious (sans the smammer).
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Ah yes...THE Spreadsheet. I kept a "confidential" spreadsheet long ago of everyone's email. They sent me an email address they frequented and I kept them under lock and key. As soon as we were ready to get up and move to the next joint, I would send out the mass email with the new site. Good times.

So...can we come up with a timeline? I joined in August of 1999.

1. SCIII
2. Some FSU board RTS directed us all to
3. fanhome
4. hostboard
5. rackthetrolls.com
6. thetrolls.com
7. scobode.com

I'm sure I'm missing some. If I'm missing something here or something is out of order, let me know.
Scobode lasted about as long as my last girlfriend did. We had some great flame wars there in it's short time on the Webs though.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Believe the Heupel wrote: Well, since it was '99 and Blake was fired after the '98 Tech game (which he was standing on the OU sidelines looking confused while OU won)...
FTFY :D
"
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Man I can't remember the date at all, but it was the Rome board for sure, I heard him pimping the website and got in from there. I think it was up a good 6 months after I got in before the rug was pulled.
I know we've migrated 3 or 4 times and I did make every stop. Don't ask me the names, Fanhome I remember was one.

I remember Froz and Skull "providing constructive remarks" about NU that I felt were out of line. Of course I challenged them (stepped on my dick) and once I got the "chapped ass anointment" applied, I was on my way. :lol:
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Sudden Sam wrote:I know exactly when I got on SC. It was right after the John Rocker "I think I'll kiss my career goodbye" crap.

I had some great battles with index (starting with the Rocker thing), but I never resorted to using the n-word. I can't understand anyone going that route.
Sam, I agree. That's a word that says quite a bit more about the person who used it than it does about its intended target.
I miss index and those days.
Me too. The Rome board used to have a healthy contingent of African-American posters. Now? Well, we've still got Bobby 42, Arch and Vic. Of course, the latter two don't appear more than once in a blue moon. And while I don't know for certain, it wouldn't surprise me if the greater use of the n-word drove most, if not all, of them away. I know Pickle has said that Index is dead, and I don't discount this completely as a possibility, but neither do I consider Pickle the most reliable source on anything, let alone Index.
Back then you couldn't finsih a post before someone else had jumped into the thread. Now, you can wait hours before anyone posts.
Of course, being associated with a nationally-syndicated radio show host probably had just a little to do with that. Nowadays, this board is more or less a closed community. If a new poster registers, there's at least a 90% chance that it's either someone who used to post on the Rome board and somehow got separated, or it's the troll of an existing poster.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I can't believe all the racist people that post on T1B. It makes me sick. I am not joking when I say this.....people like mvscal and Cuda- if they were murdered I would go urinate on their grave and purchase an add in the paper celebrating the death of the scum of society. I'm not black or any minority, but I do have black friends. These are some of the nicest people I know and I've mentioned to them things said on this board and they've wanted to track down their IP's and put these losers like mvscal in the hospital. And I don't think I've ever known these guys to get very angry over anything. So we're not talking about "likes to fight" guy. But I would definitely enjoy watching the beatdown and I would post that shit all over YouTube. Just sayin'.....
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

I got on boerd in 99. Because of that move on my part, FSU went undefeated, ranked number one wire to wire, and won the NC. It's been a little lean since that year.

Some memories I smile about over the past decade;

Pacedog wanting to meet some one and fight
Brad picking left overs of others plates at buffets
Jon going on for years about Bowden being his idol
Skull bringing in his gal amanda
aggie gal having ample breast
any road trip report from 88
Crown and his duel loyalyies to FSU and Duke.
the multiple times trex took a beating
.....ah, god times, good times
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Of course, being associated with a nationally-syndicated radio show host probably had just a little to do with that. Nowadays, this board is more or less a closed community. If a new poster registers, there's at least a 90% chance that it's either someone who used to post on the Rome board and somehow got separated, or it's the troll of an existing poster.
An influx of new blood could be useful around here. It's just hard to imagine where from... at least on my part. The only places I visit are either homer boards where 90% of my posts are to get a rise out of the mouth breathers and homers or soccer related.

A friend of mine from Oregon started a board and knew I get on here (not exactly here but a national board) and wanted me to invite at least the Oregon posters over to his abode to post occasionally but subjecting Stu to dins or vice versa is a scary though; worlds colliding and such.

I thought about inviting some of the cooler characters over here a couple of times but so many of them are strictly Sooners and we have plenty of assholes like me already here.