Dallas

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Re: Dallas

Post by Tom In VA »

If you go down to Deep Ellum, put your money in your shoe.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I was never a fan of Deep Ellum even when I was younger and single. Deep Ellum is mostly techno clubs. Although the Velvet Elvis is deece. Not as loud there. But you will find all kinds of live music at Deep Ellum. I do not know of a Blues place there, but there may be one.

The Cowboys players that I have seen at Tex Land and Cattle were at the one by the stadium and not Addison.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Forgive the Dinsdalian hijack, but coming from someone who claims to be a professional writer, I thought this was pretty fucking funny:

Screw_Michigan wrote:[i haven't seen anyone litterly kick their own ass up and down a thread
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Dinsdale wrote:Forgive the Dinsdalian hijack...
Wow.

Never thought I'd see this from you.

You feel alright?
by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 am
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Right. Because unlike you, I actually respond to Vic. He's a funny poster
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Invictus wrote:
You feel alright?

Just fine, my fellow avatar-of-a-black-man-with-a-pancake-on-his-head sporter.

I was just trolling.

I mean, the title of the thread is "Nashville," right?

Oh...

My bad.

Carry on...
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Dallas is a shithole.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm not a huge fan of Dallas, but my sister works at SMU and lives sort of near there. i'll second both Deep Ellum as worth a visit and Greenville area for restaurants. Sis took me to a Mexican seafood place that was fantastic. can't remember the name. There's also a really big Indian (from India) population around there and some of the markets and restaurants are pretty cool.

Central Market is worth a visit. Makes Whole Foods look like 7-11.

if you want some really shitty fake Mexican food, just get on I-35 and go north....there's more Dan Pablo's, On the Border's, Abeulo's than you almost honestly believe. it's cookie cutter world. every exit has the same string of casual dining chains.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

King Crimson wrote: There's also a really big Indian (from India) population around there ...
I doubt I've ever seen an indian go more than about 6 foot except for "baby huey". He was kinda chunky and about 6'3". His size didn't help him though when he was invited out to the parking lot by some kurd that was maybe 5'10" and a buck sixty soaking wet.

Baby haji apparently made some sort of suggestion about his mother's line of work. Kurd dude left in the back of a police cruiser with cuffs on. Haji left on a stretcher in an ambulance with his jaw in pieces.

So, I wouldn't worry much about big indians, I would however recommend watching what you say to kurds, even normal sized ones.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

no way dude. these guys are all 6' 5'' at least. they rule the rec gym leagues.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I was just in Dallas and Fort Worth last week for business-- As it has already been said, avoid staying anywhere near the current Cowboys stadium- I drove past it going back to the airport.. what a fucking shithole that area is. I can see why Jones wants a $1b stadium.

I didn't get a chance to see much and I've been down there a few times now and it's not an impressive looking city during the day. It lights up nicely at night and I'm sure there are some nice restaurants to visit- then again you can't go wrong with a P.F. Chang or McCormick and Schmick's.

I usually stay at one of the Marriots (for the points) but the Hyatt is worth the stay. I forget which hotel has a House of Blues atop it.

The offsite car rental is a pain.. adds like 35 minutes to your arrival and departure to/from the airport. If you get a GPS, be warned, it'll have you exiting and entering the same highway for no fucking reason.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

DFW hardly unique as most major airports car rental facilities are off site now. The ride from terminal is <10 minutes. Big whoop....they got a lot of space out there...may as well use it.

Jim's right though....Texas Stadium is hideous...as is that Hwy 183/Stemmons route into town from the airport. I never thought much of it when I lived there but now that I only visit, it's all signs, stores, car dealerships, asphalt, concrete.....ugly. But true enough, the landscape does look better at night. Downtown is growing like a weed...tons of cranes are putting up towers everywhere. As for Texas Stadium, once you get into the main seating bowl, it's pretty nice but the concourses and exterior are horrible. And Jerry did nothing to tidy it up....he wanted new stadium...and got it.

As I always tell people, Dallas is not much to visit for history/attractions. But if you want to go to a game, out to eat/drink/party...it's awesome. And a great place to live too.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

I'm in Dallas at least 4 times a year - going there Wednesday for a trade show.

I always stay close to DFW - 635 is brutal traffic almost anytime of day.
Most of the businesses I deal with are close.

Unless you're going to a Game, concert, Museum exhibit, etc. I don't think there's any "can't miss" attractions in Dallas.
Like most cities, all suburbia kinda looks the same.

As for restauants, my favorite is a Brazilian Steakhouse called Fogo DE Chao off N. Dallas Pkwy.
http://dallas.citysearch.com/profile/95 ... caria.html
You should try it if you've never been to a Brazillian Steakhouse - Most excellent

The traditional steakhouses are pretty much the same as any of the top end chains:
Whether is Del Frisco, Don Shula's, Ruth Criss or Mortons you're not going to go wrong
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

we’re heading down to Dallas for a few days this fall.
Look, I've only been to Texas once, for less than a day, but...why the fuck are you going there? Why would you do that to yourself? Are you going to get group-fitted for assless chaps, or dish out business cards at a swinger convention?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:
we’re heading down to Dallas for a few days this fall.
Look, I've only been to Texas once, for less than a day, but...why the fuck are you going there? Why would you do that to yourself? Are you going to get group-fitted for assless chaps, or dish out business cards at a swinger convention?
Did you even read the initial post? MY WIFE IS A COWBOY FAN. SHE WANTS TO SEE A COWBOY GAME IN DALLAS. The assless chaps sound interesting, BTW.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:The assless chaps sound interesting, BTW.
Let me know where you can find a cheap pair.

- AP
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Rack Fu wrote:What directions did he ask for? He asked me how far and I answered. I'm pretty sure he was going to consult a map on at some point prior to his trip. Next time I'll be sure to put a TripTik in the mail for him.

Jeez.
Actually, I was just giving you some shit. Be sure to check that holster bro. And make sure that sidearm is there, just in case.

:meds:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

RadioFan wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:What directions did he ask for? He asked me how far and I answered. I'm pretty sure he was going to consult a map on at some point prior to his trip. Next time I'll be sure to put a TripTik in the mail for him.

Jeez.
Actually, I was just giving you some shit. Be sure to check that holster bro. And make sure that sidearm is there, just in case.

:meds:
I get it, I must be somehow incompetent. :lol:

What next? Are you going to remind me to not forget the one bullet that they give me à la Barney Fife?

You're treading very close to m2-esque smack there, bro. Friends don't let friends smack like m2. Just sayin'.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

KC Scott wrote:
As for restauants, my favorite is a Brazilian Steakhouse called Fogo DE Chao off N. Dallas Pkwy.
You should try it if you've never been to a Brazillian Steakhouse - Most excellent
Never been to the one in Dallas, but the one in Houston is nails.

About $50 a person, btw, but worth it!
Mustang wrote:It's been 6 years since I moved from there so it's changed a little bit. But Frisco's right.........the locals NEVER go to the West End. It's really for tourists staying downtown.
There ya go Goobs. Don't stay downtown. Locals would never do that. Too touristy. So when you're on your trip, do us all a favor and stay where the locals stay.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Headhunter wrote:
KC Scott wrote:
Never been to the one in Dallas, but the one in Houston is nails.

About $50 a person, btw, but worth it!

Didn't know they had one in Houston - will have to hit that one my next trip there.
I've also been to the Texas DeBrazil in Dallas - but Fogo De Chao pwn3d in terms of how nice the place is.
Cost was about $50 a TDB also

But $50 well spent - Can't think of anywhere you'll get Fillet, Ribs, Chicken, Lamb, etc. right of the skewer like that.
I was going to try and explain the all you can eat concept of the Brazilian Steakhouse, but thought that might set Paul on a B-line to Texas.

Texas didn't do anything to deserve that.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

We had one of those Brazilian steakhouses open up here last year. Phenomenal food, including one of the best salad bars in the area. $33 all you can eat with free live music some nights.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Goober McTuber wrote:We had one of those Brazilian steakhouses open up here last year. Phenomenal food, including one of the best salad bars in the area. $33 all you can eat with free live music some nights.

Did they have Brats and Fried cheese on the skewers?

And yea - the Salad bar at FDC is nails also
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Headhunter wrote:
Mustang wrote:It's been 6 years since I moved from there so it's changed a little bit. But Frisco's right.........the locals NEVER go to the West End. It's really for tourists staying downtown.
There ya go Goobs. Don't stay downtown. Locals would never do that. Too touristy. So when you're on your trip, do us all a favor and stay where the locals stay.
I never said to not stay at the West End. I just said patronizing can be better done on Lower Greenville. Stay wherever the heck you like. The hang-outs on Greenville dwarf the West End though in my opinion...which is all was asked for. Opinions.

As a native of the Houston area, I know many non-Houstonions will say "Go to Westheimer!" It is the "West End" of Houston. You know and I know there are much better places to go than Westheimer. And no, I'm not talking about Montross.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:We had one of those Brazilian steakhouses open up here last year. Phenomenal food, including one of the best salad bars in the area. $33 all you can eat with free live music some nights.

Did they have Brats and Fried cheese on the skewers?

And yea - the Salad bar at FDC is nails also
They did have a nice little Portuguese sausage on a skewer, but no fried cheese curds (which you can buy in virtually any tavern in Wisconsin).
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Thanks, Frisco. I think he missed the point. Dallas' West End is ok if you like the chain restaurant kind of thing. When I go out of town, I prefer getting some local flavor, not a Chili's or Don Pablo's, which I can do at home.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I guess you missed it when he said he was taking his wife.

Ever known a wife that wants to go explore techno clubs where you can get killed on the way in?

Dude was asking for some general info so he and his posse can roll in, eat, sleep, and drink in relative safety with ease of access to some tourist like shit and Texas Stadium. Telling a tourist not to go hang somewhere because it's too touristy is retarded.

It doesn't matter if it's the coolest little bar in the world, if it's hard to find/get to/stay alive at it's not where I would point someone rolling in for a week-end.

But don't ask me... Look at post 1 in this thread where Goobs states they want to check out Dealy plaza. Care to clue us all in as to where that is?

Same place he can get a shuttle to the game, maybe?
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

This is a decent place to kill an hour and there a number of hotels in the area worth staying at (and it's very close to the airport).

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... storeID=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

This thread is absolutely amazing.

I've been to every major city in the country.... and Dallas is hands down, the ugliest city of them all. Milwaukee is a close second.

Then I see this word used when describing Southern Oklahoma (Dallas)

Headhunter wrote: Too touristy.

Who are you people ??? Where do you come from.... and who raised you ?

My mom was raised there in one of the "nicest" neighborhoods in Dallas and went to Hillcrest high school.

She's in full agreement with my assessment of that place being a complete shithole!

I think she's only been back once or twice for high school reunion and a medical conference. I unfortunately had to be there 6 times a year for business while I was living in Uston.

Maybe the next thread can be on "nice" places to go in Milwaukee when on vacation ?

Unreal
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Headhunter wrote:I guess you missed it when he said he was taking his wife.

Ever known a wife that wants to go explore techno clubs where you can get killed on the way in?
I've already said to stay away from Deep Ellum. That's where the techno shit is as well as being in a rougher area.

Greenville is like 2 streets over from the main highway in Dallas which is 45/75 that runs north and south through the middle of it. Not hard to find at all. It is kickback bars and good eats. It isn't lit up like a "restaraunt row" or anything. It is in the middle of many houses, but with a pub or food joint every hundred yards or so.

As I said earlier, he wanted opinions. I am giving him my opinion, as a former resident, of one of the better places to visit. Dealey PLaza can be done in like 10 minutes. Once that pain is over with, maybe he'll take me up on my suggestion. Maybe not. I could give two shits. I've polled the Board before myself on shit to do in places I plan to visit. I appreciate feedback like I have given. Do unto others, brutha.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

As for you mtool. You hang your hat in Houston quite a bit. I grew up in Lake Jackson, bout 50 miles south of Houston. I spent quite a bit of my many years in and around Houston. It is the armpit of the state. Houstonian pointing the finger at Dallas and calling it shit is laughable. I've said in this thread myself that Dallas ain't much to look at. However, Houston is equally boring.

And if you give me the "it's 1 hour to the beach" then you are dumber than dumb. As I said, I grew up in Lake Jackson, 5 minutes from that "beach." Surfside, Quintana, Bryan, Galveston. ALL shitty beaches browned like poo from the Brazos. The only time you can see your foot in 3 inch deep water is during a 6 month drought. Nothing like wishing for 6 months of 100+ heat so the beach can clear up to murky.

Houston is so great that, in a city where you can pretty much do stuff outdoors and swim damn near all year, the 1 theme park and water park up and left the spic-town. Quit throwing stones at Dallas. You may shatter the walls in that house of yours.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

.m2 wrote:I've been to every major city in the country.... and Dallas is hands down, the ugliest city of them all. Milwaukee is a close second.
Not many windchime sales in OKC or Tulsa, obviously.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Flew in last night from an overnight in Dallas.

Played a round of golf here:
http://www.tour18-dallas.com/sites/cour ... page=11996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides the fact that my game is terrible (my handicapp is my swing) the course was tough- pin placements were a bitch especially with the wet greens. The beer cart girl had big tits, was blond and made a lot of money following us around.

Had a burger here:
http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/Revi ... rID=102688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burger was decent, beer was fair.

Stayed at the Hitlon near there- the breakfast buffet was excellent.

Also took a drive by the new Cowboys stadium currently under construction- it might just be big enough to fit Jerry Jones' head.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Don't stay anywhere near the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium. Do stay near AA Arena, somewhere down in the West End, but be wary of pickpockets and lazy shiftabouts.

My personal experiences with Dallas have always been positive. I'd recommend that you try to find someplace fairly close to wherever you're looking to hang out. If you're able to do that, then live will be a lot easier. You want to be able to give yourself the option to either drive, if you're okay, or cab it if you're not... as long as you're not cabbing it from too far away.

I've always done the whole West End thing. House of Blues is pretty cool at night. Most bars down that way are.

Make sure that you've got updated directions to wherever you're going, though. The last time I was down there (end of March to go and see Daniel Tosh) there was a fuckton of construction and it was driving me crazy. I knew my way around until those damned orange cones screwed me over.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

the_ouskull wrote:I knew my way around until those damned orange cones screwed me over.
They were cones!

Sin,