usc one of the top two teams?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

usc one of the top two teams?

Post by M Club »

i've seen a bit of love for usc being one of the best teams in cf right now. eh? they've come together? thank god there isn't a playoff b/c they'd roll? what exactly have they done since losing to orygun? they beat osu at home, 24-3; got past a listless cal; and beat up on the pac 10's version of kansas. i suppose booty's back and "healthy," but wasn't he pure shite before everyone discovered sanchez was even more so? it's just annoying how sc is brought up every year about this time by the douches who rank teams according to how they're playing at this exact moment and not on how well they've performed during the season as a whole. there seems to always be an excuse for sc's early struggles, non? fuck those guys...
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Who would be favored against them IF there was a playoff?

Answer: On a neutral field, nobody.

Depending on what happens Saturday -- assuming they cover against UCLA -- they will absolutely thrash tOSU or Mich, the latter being an ugly, unwatchable beatdown.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Win your games and you can argue. 2-losses, one being of the historic variety, will leave you on the outside looking in.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

I get that, WS.
M Club wrote:thank god there isn't a playoff b/c they'd roll?
Yes. Pretty much.

Unless anyone would like to tell me which team they wouldn't be favored against, on a neutral field.

Be sure and lock up, before you leave.

Right now USC is hands-down, the best team in CF, at least according to Vegas. And to most everyone else, who's a rational observer, of CF.

Are you kidding me?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

RadioFan wrote:sc sure has a big cack.
vegas, eh. you use the same rationale now that was used at season's beginning when they were a shoe-in to play lsu in the bcs. but oh, they're so much different now than they were before those two losses.

Unless anyone would like to tell me which team they wouldn't be favored against, on a neutral field.
a neutral field, perhaps, but at home, against stanford, a 40-point spread? i just don't see how they'd wouldn't win a playoff.

Depending on what happens Saturday -- assuming they cover against UCLA -- they will absolutely thrash tOSU or Mich, the latter being an ugly, unwatchable beatdown.
fucking please. michigan would only lose by two tds. the point is usc isn't any better than any other team in the top ten. it's just that we're now stuck with mizzou and wvu most likely playing for the mnc and ppl still can't wrap their prejudices around it, so they feel around their pants and find the boner they've always had for usc and talk about how great they're playing. it's still the same team that lost to stanford.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

That's not the point.....the point is RIGHT NOW the best team isn't in the top two. However, the criteria being the whole body of work. We get that. the point of said thread is that RIGHT now line anyone up vs USC and see who would win. Conjecture, but they would be favored.

BTW, I would put UF right behind USC.....they will score on anyone right now....and I mean anyone. Yes....yes....three losses....don't deserve to play for shit. I agree.....however, IF there was a playoff???? Who would want to play the Gators? They would roll WVU, OSU, MIZZOU, a rematch w/ LSU? I would love one. Okie might be a tough one. But i like Meyer in a playoff-like scenario. Dude can flat out gameplan and prepare his team.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

If your criteria for greatness is simply "scoring on anyone" then why isn't WVU deserving? They would most certainly score on anyone.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

These arguments make no sense at all. I question how the CFB community drools all over the SEC and PAC10 at the start of the season, they all lose games they shouldn't, but now that we have a possible WVU and Mizzo match up in the MNC game, we start saying those previously forgotten teams are now great again--and they would roll either of the top two ranked teams.

There are no great teams this season, only a handful of good teams. Which yes, points to a playoff. However, I would gladly play USC on a neutral field or at their field (which is almost what the Rose Bowl is) right now. Sure they rolled the last few games but I think we have all seen the Pac10 isn't as dynamic as we once thought.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I call Bullshit...Tebow himself could beat WVU...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Good thread M Club, and I agree. It's amazing how much the media takes turns swinging from USC's nutsack.

Playing the homer card here for my exhibit A. But after tOSU got beat by Illinois the media and general public, as fast as they could, started labeling tOSU as a fraud. Maybe true, maybe false. I'm not gonna go there. And I'm not gonna turn this into another strength of schedule argument.

But USC lost to Stanford. Repeat: FUCKING STANFORD ON THEIR HOME FIELD. I don't give a shit if half of SC's offensive line was hurt, absolutely irreleveant. Their third stringers should beat STANFORD by two touchdowns.

But now here we are, a month and a half later, and they are back to being the best team according to the media. Loss to Stanford? Completely forgotten.

In any season, if Ohio State lost to Northwestern (nearly the bizzaro world equivalent) they would be reminded of it until the NFL playoffs started. Fuckin' hilarious.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I dont buy that USC is one of the top teams in the nation, there are still a lot of things they havent shown they can do like rush the ball vs very stout rush defenses.... tomorrow they will face a team that gives up less than 3 yards per carry, we will see if they can run the ball.
Yeah USC lost to Stanford, yeah it is unforgivable but how many other teams lost this year in games where their starting QB was hurt? West Virginia, Oklahoma, Oregon.... Had the staff pulled Booty and put Sanchez in that game, they win.... unless Sanchez turns the ball over 5 times int he second half too.
Not sure it is a fair assesment to say that Sanchez and Booty were both pure shit. Before 60% of the O line was injured they still had a hard time with recievers dropping tons of balls. Turners shoulder is healthy and Johnson and Hazleton have passed Ausberry on the chart and the droped passes have been a minimum, and now the line is stepping back up.
Seems everywhere you go osu fans are extremely defensive about the media saying they are falling in to the title game, they get in and get fucked in the mouth like last year, no way they are ever given the respect they feel they deserve again.

The media felating USC again has seemed to stir up the controversy that college football wants, maybe the powers that be know that a Missouri vs West Virginia or a osu vs West Virginia game will have little to no national interest. As a USC fan I just wish that ESPN would pick a team other than USC to suck up to just to raise the ire of the rest of the nation
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I'm gonna be at the Coliseum today around 4 to spend the night in an RV with some buddies. Should be a nice 24-hour bender...prolly shitfaced by 7pm and none of us plan to sleep. Should be fun.

SC is vastly-improved from the start of the season but I agree that whipping eTCU on Thanksgiving doesn't mean much to me. eTCU lies down in big games and did so against us.

Do I think we'd make any game competetive right now against a quality opponent? Sure. Do I think it's fair to say we're one of the best teams right now? No.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

T REX wrote:That's not the point.....the point is RIGHT NOW the best team isn't in the top two. However, the criteria being the whole body of work. We get that. the point of said thread is that RIGHT now line anyone up vs USC and see who would win. Conjecture, but they would be favored.

BTW, I would put UF right behind USC.....they will score on anyone right now....and I mean anyone. Yes....yes....three losses....don't deserve to play for shit. I agree.....however, IF there was a playoff???? Who would want to play the Gators? They would roll WVU, OSU, MIZZOU, a rematch w/ LSU? I would love one. Okie might be a tough one. But i like Meyer in a playoff-like scenario. Dude can flat out gameplan and prepare his team.
i suppose you covered your bases with the word conjecture, but otherwise this is classic myopia. florida, usc, oklahoma? tebow's playing with a cast right now. you're silly if you don't think that's going to have an effect on someone who handles the ball every single down. and part of usc being the best team right now is the return of john david booty, who, i might remind you, is the same jdb whose early-season performance elicited cries for mark sanchez. he's just as healthy now as he was when he should've been benched.

i would take mizzou vs. wvu. mizzou's 11-1 against a fairly tough schedule and has a chance to avenge their only loss. their ooc is about as tough as you'll find absent a super marquee intersectional matchup no top school would've dreamed of giving them anyway, and the two toughest of those games were on the road. even their patsies are respectable. western michigan has a shit record exacerbated by losses to mizzou, indiana, and west virgina. and west virginia has run roughshod through a pretty good conference. they're the only top ten -caliber team in the conference, but only syracuse and pitt are there to be gang raped. a meatgrinder, if you will.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Seems everywhere you go osu fans are extremely defensive about the media saying they are falling in to the title game, they get in and get fucked in the mouth like last year, no way they are ever given the respect they feel they deserve again.
That game was last year. The game in which USC lost to Stanford was this year. But somehow, most of the media & general public have their chronology a little messed up. Conveniently, I guess.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

osu has done nothing this year to show that they wont have a repeat of last year, they rolled a bunch of fat ankled, mid eastern teams and a bunch of home games vs ohio based second rate schools and in the one game vs a spread offense they played all year, they lost. What happens after another 7 week layoff and another spread ofgfense with even better athletes?
a 1 point loss when the starting QB is injured is bad, but a 30 point loss on the largest stage when you had 2 months to prepare is worse
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:I'm gonna be at the Coliseum today around 4 to spend the night in an RV with some buddies. Should be a nice 24-hour bender...prolly shitfaced by 7pm and none of us plan to sleep. Should be fun.

SC is vastly-improved from the start of the season but I agree that whipping eTCU on Thanksgiving doesn't mean much to me. eTCU lies down in big games and did so against us.

Do I think we'd make any game competetive right now against a quality opponent? Sure. Do I think it's fair to say we're one of the best teams right now? No.
you guys parking it by Dedeaux?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:If your criteria for greatness is simply "scoring on anyone" then why isn't WVU deserving? They would most certainly score on anyone.
As would Mizzou.

I love hearing about how a MU v WVA title game wouldn't draw the national interest. They've both still got some work to do to get there, but guess what? They wouldn't give a flying rats ass who was or who was not interested.

And one more damn thing. If you're using these teams relative obscurity as a rationale for why CFB needs a playoff, then that's a pretty shaky argument. What if they had a playoff and these two teams still wound up being the last two standing? Then what would the whiners have to cry about?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

L45B wrote:But USC lost to Stanford. Repeat: FUCKING STANFORD ON THEIR HOME FIELD. I don't give a shit if half of SC's offensive line was hurt, absolutely irreleveant. Their third stringers should beat STANFORD by two touchdowns.
But...But...But...John David Booty boo-boo'd his hand and proceeded to throw 47 interceptions!

God forbid the coaching staff do this thing called "coaching" which might lead to a personnel change, which might lead to a guy NOT throwing 4 INTs. If they don't have anybody on the roster prepared and ready to out-perform THAT, then they get no sympathy points from me.

PM in 5...4...3...2...1...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: PM in 5...4...3...2...1...

I laughed.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

a 1 point loss to a team you were FAVORED by 40 over is somehow better than a loss for OSU in the MNC game?

So you are somehow putting Stanford on the same level as UF? Are you really this stupid...

again a 1 point loss to a team you were favored by FORTY over...good lord you are an idiot...(yes I had to repeat myself)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:As would Mizzou.
Probably. I specifically point out WVU because they've been unloading on people for quite some time now during the White/Slaton tenure. Just ask the SEC team that played them in a big bowl not too long ago how fast they can score points.

Oh wait...that Georgia team probably "wasn't any good."
I love hearing about how a MU v WVA title game wouldn't draw the national interest.
If you're a fan of college football it should draw interest. If you're anybody else, then who gives a fuck?

I may not always agree with whoever's playing in the MNC, but I'll most certainly be interested in watching.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
I love hearing about how a MU v WVA title game wouldn't draw the national interest.
If you're a fan of college football it should draw interest. If you're anybody else, then who gives a fuck?

I may not always agree with whoever's playing in the MNC, but I'll most certainly be interested in watching.
i just watched kansas vs mizzou for the first time in my life. just saying.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

So if I'm getting this logic straight here, tOSU's record this season is like uhhh 11-4 because we're still counting that game from the beginning of the year. And not only are we counting it, but we're triple-taxing it, since it was such a massive assraping.

But like uhhh USC is like 10-1 and stuff because their game against Stanford (at home) was played on September 31st or something and doesn't really count anyways. In fact, I don't even remember that game anymore. Yeah it, like uhh, never even happened. What game? I'm hanging up the phone. Prank caller. Prank caller.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

tOSU has the 56th ranked schedule......

Who is going to make an argument for them to play for a title?

56th?

Pathetic......absolutely pathetic

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

no one is comparing florida to stanford or saying that the stanford loss is forgivable, but the stanford loss was by 1 point, osu lost by 30, when was the last time usc lost by 30? to anybody? what has osu done since the 30 point loss to show they can handle a spread offense and a team with speed at least equal to theirs? I have no problem with osu getting in to the title game and USC not since USC has 2 losses and one was to Stanford, Im just saying that if osu gets goat fucked again and the buckeyes completely roll over and take it in the ass like the heartless cunts they showed everyone they were in the title game last year, they should lose the benefit of the doubt that allows them in when they play nothing but other slow mid eastern teams and toledo, akron and youngstown all at home OOC
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

No wonder you only have one loss.....you played a MAC schedule.....

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Like I said earlier, I am not interested in another strength of schedule discussion.

But good answer, Trixie, good answer. At least you are talking about stuff from this season, which was my original point. Board Bitch '07 hasn't returned from recess yet.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

L45B wrote:But USC lost to Stanford. Repeat: FUCKING STANFORD ON THEIR HOME FIELD. I don't give a shit if half of SC's offensive line was hurt, absolutely irreleveant. Their third stringers should beat STANFORD by two touchdowns.
I missed this earlier. Spot-on.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

this osu teams season looks a lot like last years teams season... roll through over matched, equally slow, fat ankled mid eastern teams, take 2 months off for cold weather and then look like gutless pussies without a clue vs a faster, more athletic team than they faced all year that runs a spread offense.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

it is like wash, rinse, repeat...topic about USC then somehow it gets back to OSU's schedule...look it ain't going away...it's out there...we played it...done why do we keep going back to this...

according to NCAA.org you know the governing body...they have statistics on a variety of things...one of which is Toughest schedule...

WVU checks in at 48
tOSU 46
Mizzou 21
LSU 35
USC 79

again this is on cumulative opposition...it is one more place to make or break an argument...so now everyone go run the their favorite site and get a different number...now you see how stupid this is...

and what has USC done since they won the Rose Bowl...oh yeah that's right lost AT HOME to Stanford and lost to Oregon...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I'm not trying to make a case for this year's version of Ohio State. And I think that USC has a nice team as well.

But to suddenly hear all these dipshitted media types call USC the best team in the country is pretty outlandish.

Yeah it's true, tOSU probably played about four or five Stanfords this year. But we didn't lose to one. That is all.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

SoCalTrjn wrote:this osu teams season looks a lot like last years teams season... roll through over matched, equally slow, fat ankled mid eastern teams, take 2 months off for cold weather and then look like gutless pussies without a clue vs a faster, more athletic team than they faced all year that runs a spread offense.
I don't understand why OSU's entire identity seems to be attached to one game. Doesn't Tressell have one of the best big bowl records in all the land?
Last edited by MgoBlue-LightSpecial on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

well if it doesn't happen in the rose bowl this year (OSU v USC)

then I guess we will see over the next two years how good both teams are when we meet up in non-con...
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

T REX wrote:That's not the point.....the point is RIGHT NOW the best team isn't in the top two. However, the criteria being the whole body of work. We get that. the point of said thread is that RIGHT now line anyone up vs USC and see who would win. Conjecture, but they would be favored.

I hear Texas had a really good practice this week so I would put them right up there with USC also. :meds:
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Tressel has been to a bowl every year since coming to tOSU

02 Outback L
03 Fiesta W (MNC)
04 Fiesta W
04 Alamo W
06 Fiesta W
07 MNC Game L

so he is 4-2 with a 4-1 record in BCS games...plus he is 6-1 v his rival

you are correct OSU's identity is tied to one game...and the MISCONCEPTION they have no talent just shows everyone's ignorance...I mean again it's like everyone thinks that when kids go to OSU they suddenly become slow and shitty...

but hey Ted Ginn Jr looked at USC hard...I am sure had he went their SOCALTROJAN would still have his pole between is ass cheeks...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

you think USC fans want to hear the dipshitted media types ball suck the Trojans again? Ever since 55-19 the media has fallen in love with USC and USC hasnt done anything since 55-19. I think they feel they were burned by picking against the Trojans and now all they do is pick the Trojans.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

1. What media is touting SC?

2. How did UF get in this discussion. No 3-loss team would qualify for even a playoff.

The "right now" term is interesting though. How are teams playing right now? Well most aren't playing at all. If there were a playoff, there wouldn't be 4-6 week layoffs, they would have a chance to continue the season's momentum throughout. But in this one-game system, why wait so fucking long to play the big games? Don't give me any tradition crap either. Mizzou vs. WVU is about as tradition rich as NFL Europa. So it doesn't matter how teams are playiong "right now" because any and all momentum flies out the window during the looooong layoff between seasons end and the later bowl games.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^^

well you do enough of that on your own...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Carroll is 4-2 in Bowl games since arriving at USC as well, but his 2 losses have been by a total of 7 points.

Tressell has done well in bowl games for an osu coach, a few more years and osu may be .500 in the post season
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

WolverineSteve wrote:1. What media is touting SC?

2. How did UF get in this discussion. No 3-loss team would qualify for even a playoff.

The "right now" term is interesting though. How are teams playing right now? Well most aren't playing at all. If there were a playoff, there wouldn't be 4-6 week layoffs, they would have a chance to continue the season's momentum throughout. But in this one-game system, why wait so fucking long to play the big games? Don't give me any tradition crap either. Mizzou vs. WVU is about as tradition rich as NFL Europa. So it doesn't matter how teams are playiong "right now" because any and all momentum flies out the window during the looooong layoff between seasons end and the later bowl games.
try playing until december, dont blame the long layoffs on anyone but the schools that stop scheduling games after Nov 15