Coaching rumors and hires

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Coaching rumors and hires

Post by Adelpiero »

shocked Bowers got canned, he has done a hell of a job at Southern Miss. He brought some credibility to the program.

Rumor: Jimmy Johnson in talks with Arkansas about head coaching job. buwahahahahaha ok, it could happen, but why would he leave his easy gig and Florida pad on beach for Fayetteville?
Last edited by Adelpiero on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Art Briles is interviewing with Baylor. If he gets the job, then would it be rediculous for me to think that Fran or Gailey would consider taking the UofH job?
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Heard Billy Callahan is a being considered for Arkansas. What idiot would hire him.....oh yeah I remember.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Out of all the firings I'd say Bower's has the most likelihood of blowing-up in the university's faces. He is a good coach.

Johnson to Ark? Haven't heard that rumor yet but I guess I can see it. If he still has a coaching-itch he better scratch it soon. Johnson would play well down there. Only trouble is how long would he stay? Recruits want to commit to a guy they expect to be there when they are seniors.

Rumor-mill has Ark basically offering the job to Pelini last weekend, Ark's AD wanted Bo back when he was hiring for Pitt but got outvoted cuz folks wanted Wannstadt. Why folks assumed Wannstadt would be good is beyond me. If anything his time in the NFL proved he isn't a HC. Pelini has gotten some mention for Ga Tech too.

The three known interviewees for Neb so-far are Pelini, Gill, and Grobe. Others getting a decent amount of speculation are Kelly, Paul Johnson, and Chris Peterson in that order.

Interesting to see Ol Miss snatch-up Nutt with the quickness.

Lane Kiffin or Bobby Petrino returning to the college-game has gotten some speculation. I think Lane would be more likely than Petrino. Who really wants to work for Al Davis?
Last edited by Danimal on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

heard that the announcement for the Nebraska job is today at 4pm?
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

There was speculation due to a players' meeting a 4:00 today. But the "official" line is that is just an end-of-the-season meeting for the players to vote mvp's, discuss the end-of-the-season dinner, winter-conditioning, and such.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Two local rumors I heard on the radio...

Michigan assistant Fred Jackson mentioned as a candidate for the Duke job...poor bastard.

Michigan interviewed Mike DeBord and will be interviewing Ron English...hopefully both were just courtesy interviews.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Excellent article by Pat Forde on this subject. Includes feedback on KC BBQ at the end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... d=tab1pos1
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Chris Peterson to be next football coach at UCLA
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

^ That would be a bad move for him, IMO. There are better jobs with better offers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Neuweasel gets a sniff of Westwood.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

yeah, its only the school with the best athletic department in the nation, as much as it pains me to say. nobody else has reached 100 national titles
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

UCLA would be a great gig for a midmajor coach trying to find his final destination, they have the facilities, and demo to get the kids in state.

they would be able to squeeze out Cal and be #2 in state in recruiting. find some out of staters who want to go out west, and bam, u have a top10-20 program yearly
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Re: Coaching rumors and hires

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Adelpiero wrote:Rumor: Jimmy Johnson in talks with Arkansas about head coaching job. buwahahahahaha ok, it could happen, but why would he leave his easy gig and Florida pad on beach for Fayetteville?
Intriguing. Johnson played college football at Arkansas and might relish a return to his alma mater for that reason. OTOH, he's 64, and almost two decades removed from his most recent college coaching gig. Plus, he has a much cushier job right now, as you mentioned.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but stranger things have happened.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I know Neuweasel used to coach the enemy but I think WSU would be smart to look at him. Otherwise I'd look at a nonBCS-HC like Mendenhall(tough get), Briles, Graham from Tulsa, or (showing my bias) Gill.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Leach and Chow are front runners for UCLA job.

Both interested, only thing that will save Carl, is beating USC

man would that suck UCLA fan, another year of mediocrity
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Adelpiero wrote:they would be able to squeeze out Cal and be #2 in state in recruiting.

More like #3. Their neighbors-to-the-north trump everyone in california in recruiting besides USC.

And I very much doubt any PAC team is going to offer Weasel a coaching job ever again. First off, he started pointing fingers at every coach in the conference accusing them of recruiting violations, which was a really weak attempt to hide his own. For another, most ADs aren't that retarded -- dude's left his last two programs in complete shambles. I could see where Wazzu would have a soft spot for him, since he launched Wazzu into several years' worth of being the top program in the state, and made Wazzu and Oregon's recruiting in the Seattle area a piece of cake... but you'd have to be an idiot to hire the guy... something about "fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice..."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, I hear Stan Brock might go to Army...

Wait, he already did last year... and no one noticed.

Dude is a dick-btw.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Chow as a head coach is a trainwreck in the making. I hope for his sake he sticks w/ his current role at Tennessee because that's his highest and best use.

UCLA is a terrible football job. The school, funded by the state, has already made a huge commitment to fund their basketball program. Dorrell was a budget hire at the time and there are no signs that UCLA is prepared to pay big money for a big name coach. If I was Peterson I would wait for a bigger payday.

Slickie Rickie would be lucky to get the Wazzu job, let alone a more significant program in the Pac. Guy has been damaged goods everywhere he goes.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I would think Mike Price back to the Palouse is a gimme.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Should be.

For a while, rumor had it Steve Sarkesian was gonna get the job.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Chow as a head coach is a trainwreck in the making. I hope for his sake he sticks w/ his current role at Tennessee because that's his highest and best use.

UCLA is a terrible football job. The school, funded by the state, has already made a huge commitment to fund their basketball program. Dorrell was a budget hire at the time and there are no signs that UCLA is prepared to pay big money for a big name coach.

Also, UCLA insists on maintaining strict entrance requirements that dwarf even Kal. The
campus is in a high rent neighborhood so the cost of living vs. the compensation is not a good equation. The only hope is that inspite of the Dorrell debacle, the school set attendance records this year at the Rose Bowl, so maybe that will get the attention of regents and alumni that may realize football is a revenue maker.

UCLA could land a decent name due to the high profile, being in SoCal, recruiting haven, etc... but not the locale to make a career (then again, what school is other than Hawaii?)

Since your 1st paragraph was spot, just added for detail...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:For a while, rumor had it Steve Sarkesian was gonna get the job.
The Seer wrote:
Jimmy Medalions wrote:but not the locale to make a career (then again, what school is other than Hawaii?)

And therein lies the rub with Wazzu -- what decent coach is going to want to make a long-term home in the shothole that is Eastern Washington?

Then, you've got to try and hopefully recruit some African American kids to live in the Racism Capital of the USA.

Good luck with that.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

I agree Dins. Wazzu would be a two-year stop for Sark before he moves on to a legitimate program. I think he's got a bright career in front of him. He just needs a couple years with the HC title on his resume before he makes a big splash.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Chris Peterson to be next football coach at UCLA
I can assure you that's not going to happen.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

briles to Baylor
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Dinsdale wrote:
Racism Capital of the USA.
Not since the Aryan Nation lost their Hayden Lake compound in a lawsuit brough by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Actually, WSU the first Pac-10 school to hire a black coach in a major sport (Ravelling). AND the student body president one year I was there was African American (But he got his presidency stripped for bad grades . . . true fact.)

And Oh yeah, the curent UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, Elson Floyd, is an African American.

But I know I know, it's rural so it must be a racist shithole. Dins, Dins, Dins, I expect that from a SoCal but a fellow ULer?

Back to the coaching rumor, my sources tell me the favorites are Eastern Washington coach Paul Wulff (former WSU player) and Dave Christensen, Mizzou Assistant head coach and o coord (Washington ties). It's still wide open, though.

PS Dins: Tony Bennett was contacted by Michigan brass after last season about the Wolverine hoops gig but chose to stay in the Racist Shithole.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

OU-OC Kevin Sumlin and Turner Gill are supposed to be getting some mention for the Wazzou-job.

Neb likely won't be naming anyone til next week. Neb has permission to talk to Kelly but he has denied contact(for what that is worth). Mich seems to be targeting Miles now, supposed to interview after Tenn-game. Neb and Kelly would be wise to make this happen. Paul Johnson is rumored to be interviewing for the job after the Army game.

Duke is supposed to be jocking Paul Johnson hard.

Some big name are coming up for Arkansas potentials, Tuberville and Lane Kiffin. I've also read that Mike Leach might get a look.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Danimal wrote:OU-OC Kevin Sumlin and Turner Gill are supposed to be getting some mention for the Wazzou-job.
also talk of Sumlin to A&M as OC. He splits the OC duties at OU with Kevin Wilson (who calls the plays).
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Adelpiero wrote:briles to Baylor
As a UH grad, I hate to see him go but I knew this was just a stepping stone for his dream job. Baylor is a great fit for him considering his legacy at the nearby high school when he coached Stephenville to two state titles. He knows the area well and should be able to recruit better that his predecesors.

As for UofH, I really hope they don't try and hire a name. See Clyde Drexler. No, no, they are better off doing what they did when they hired Briles. Go find a decent assistant from a moderately sucessful program with a lot of ambition and similar offensive strategies as Briles and plug him into an already good system. Not much change should equate to more 8-4 ro maybe even 9-3 seasons. I'll take it.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

And Oh yeah, the curent UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, Elson Floyd, is an African American
good luck with that fuckin tard

If he didnt have the dirt on other MU board memebers, he would of been shit canned years before he left

god riddence to him and that dumb cunt of a wife he has.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Adelpiero wrote:
And Oh yeah, the curent UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, Elson Floyd, is an African American

If he didnt have the dirt on other MU board memebers, he would of been shit canned years before he left

Didn't his wife party with and let some "troubled youth" drive their car . . . or something like that?

Not a fan of "E-Flo" I take it?

By the way, if he blackmailed major state university board members into keeping his job, his status in my book just went WAY UP!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:

Didn't his wife party with and let some "troubled youth" drive their car . . . or something like that?

Not a fan of "E-Flo" I take it?

By the way, if he blackmailed major state university board members into keeping his job, his status in my book just went WAY UP!
his wife was the tard caught on tapes, while the MU players who's name we dont use was in prison, talking shit about staying away from white girls, they trouble, and other racist shit. Plus, he was a horrible president, he had to have some dirt, or they were afraid he'd play this if he was fired:

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/ ... e_Card.jpg[/img][/img]
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I've heard Sam might be very pissed and JSC might be happy.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Georgia Tech is interviewing UConn's Randy Edsall
Dreams......Temporary Madness
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Killian wrote:I've heard Sam might be very pissed and JSC might be happy.
I think you'd see two cities burn to the ground if that were to actually happen. Homer boards claim to have flight iteneraries for Saban, though, so you can't rule anything out at this point. Apparently, he's not the choice of the decision-maker but has a strong alumni group backing a possible return (which is being blocked, of course, by another alumni group that would sooner gargle broken glass 24/7 than see this happen).

If you place any stock at all in the homer boards (bwahahahas are locked and loaded), an offer is pending based on the result of this political struggle, and Saban is extremely receptive to the possibility.

Of course, eyewitnesses also have pegged Jimmy Johnson in B.A., so who knows what's going to shake out in the end.

Bless our collection of homer boards ... much amusement.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Adelpiero wrote: Image
BWHAAA, love the Race Card.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

So you're saying that the SEC is incestuous? Whodathunk?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

elson floyd was the best thing to ever happen to western michigan. we had our peak enrollment during his term and he was fully commited to athletics and the continued growth as the mac's premier school (second to miami and ohio).

while his c--t wife and rickey paulding were disgusting, i'll take the short term of floyd over the disasterous term of prez judy bailey we had. god help if she ever becomes president of YOUR alma mater. kiss your football budget and olympic budget goodbye.
K2BAD
Fuckin' Noob

Post by K2BAD »

Adelpiero wrote:

Ya'll will have your ass handed to you on a platter tonight mofo. Mizzery fans sure crawl out from the wood work.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

we'll see who Bo hires as OC at NU. this "back to the past" thing is dangerous.

Pelini may be an up and comer, but i think it's a little weird for NU to go for the guy after one year coaching in Lincoln based on the idea that he "get's it" about the NU family.

smarter people than me have said, you can't go home again.

Barney Cotton did a good job that year too!