Cal-Ore

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Cal-Ore

Post by RadioFan »

Jay and Dins, outline this game for me, por favor.

In Tulsa, we're more than likely to get K-State-Tex, with the inevitable switch to your game later, along with the rest of the country. Damn, this is the best game of the day, at least on paper.

Oregon favored by 4.5? I'm tempted to pick Kal, as this game will be done by Pac 10 refs, some of whom have spent time in the trees, if not smoking tree.

Then again, there is Autzen.

Discuss.

Also, I may have to find the radio call of this game on the Internet somewhere. Hook a brother up, please.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Cal-Ore

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

RadioFan wrote:Oregon favored by 4.5?
Put your kid's piggy bank on it. Cal chokes on the road like a jtr video blog.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

No kids here, but I'm willing to wage my dogs' spading.

Speaking of Ren Faire skanks, where the FUCK is blueblood?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Cal-Ore

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote:outline this game for me, por favor.

Well, there's therse two teams that can all run really really really fast.

And they play bad defense. O/U is 237.5 .

What else do you need to know?

Leading reciever Brian Paysinger is done, which hurts, but the Ducks have a buhzillion recievers, and Cameron Colvin gets to maybe earn all those starts by his name coming out of high school... in his senior freaking year... freaking bum.

If Dennis Dixon comes to play big, the Ducks win going away. If not... could be a problem. Cal's got a good QB, good recievers, and speed speed speed.

I'll be there-btw, or so they tell me.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

My god this should be a great game. I've got a lot of family who will be present at the game. Should be a barn burner.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Oregon is more talented than Cal. The thing is, Jeff Tedford (ex-Fresno State QB, and OC, then Oregon OC under Bellotti...) knows what Oregon has.

This game comes down to match ups as both of these teams are kick ass. I believe Oregon is a better team despite Tedford being a better offensive mind.

Oregon is at home so I pick UO.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:What else do you need to know?
Internet radio links, legal or not.
Dinsdale wrote:I'll be there-btw, or so they tell me.
Lucky bastard. Rack it ... errrr, I hate you.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

radio fan. I havent had much luck with internet tv for NCAA games. if its a nationally telivised you can try one of the links below.. SOPcast or TVu..

as for a radio interweb try thegamelive link below..

P
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Thanks, bro!

That third link you have ROCKS.
Last edited by RadioFan on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RadioFan wrote: Internet radio links, legal or not.

Never used it.

http://www.goducks.com/liveEvents/liveE ... D=500&KEY=
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Thanks, Dins.

And hey -- 4.5?

Lots of confidence in this game, against the spread, no?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Hate to go against Oregon at home, but my pick is Kal. Tedford should know to contain Dixon, make him beat you with his arm. He will not do a Joe Montana like he did vs. Carr. Kal has those RB's and a slightly better D - thanks in part to Allowalotti....

OT - Ucla at Oregon St. is the type game "coach" Dorrell is known to gag.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Oregon will win this game. Kal is overrated and that will play out on Saturday. Kal has speed but so does Oregon. Tedford won't win in Eugene with the defense he's been fielding.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

thanks for the vote of confidence Jimmy but our defense isn't anything to write home about either....

I say that it may be one of the all time high scoring games
last team with the ball wins

Ducks by a touchdown
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I was really wary of this game coming into the season. But now? I really think we'll win and wouldn't be shocked if we win easily. The Ducks were on the front page of ESPN.com yesterday with the headline "Script Flipped" and it couldn't be more accurate about the upcoming game against Cal.

Cal has had golden opportunities to beat us in both of the games played at Autzen under Tedford. They should have come in with decided advantage each time, but neither time could they get it done.

In '03 they faced us after we had melted down on the season, losers of 4 of our last 5 games...badly (the only win coming against hapless Stanford), and coming right off of a 42-10 drubbing at the hands of the Huskies.

In '05 they were the team to luck out and get us, first game after losing our starting QB for the year.

Things were set up well for Cal to win at Autzen both times, but they still couldn't do it, so I wouldn't downplay the advantage that the game being at home plays for us.

Last year was a bit of a perfect storm and we ran into a buzzsaw at Cal. We did have a bit of an inflated opinion of ourselves, because of an unblemished record, but the record was one we were lucky to have with near misses at Fresno State (a bad fSU team) and a huge break against Oklahoma. Last year's team was not in the same position as this years' team, in anything other than record.

On the other side, last year Cal had already crashed to Earth on the first weekend of the season getting drilled by Tennessee. They responded, and were playing very focused on redeeming themselves. After that Tennessee game, they rattled off 6 straight blowouts before losing that momentum.

Oregon was their shot to get back the respect that they lost at Tennessee. The crowd was raucous, the team was fired up and Oregon came out like a deer caught in headlights. We were clearly unprepared to play at that level and in that environment. Very quickly, I don't think anybody even wanted anything other than the game to be over.

While Cal fans are spending a lot of this week talking about how they destroyed us last year in that game, they are ignoring how heavily the same factors that led to their rout of us are reversed this year. Beacause this year, its the Ducks on a mission of redemption. Redemption to get back the respect that we lost at the end of last year. And this team has opened the year playing much like Cal was playing during that tear they were on during their redemption run. Playing focused and agressive and hard. And its Cal coming into our den, as the higher ranked team, and as the opportunity for Oregon to earn back that respect they'd lost.

And, as if that was going to be enough to fire up our crowd and our team and to have Autzen as loud and crazy as it ever is, we've got Gameday coming just to make sure Cal will be facing Autzen at its most frenzied. As I pointed out above, two Cal teams recently that should have been in better situations than Oregon have failed to win at Autzen, with Autzen crowds that were nothing like they will be on Saturday. Those crowds came in with only aprehention about our chances and both in '05 and '03, I know that most Duck fans even expected to lose those games.

Now, I don't expect Cal to come out as the "deer-in-headlights" that the Ducks were last year. But, Oregon sure as hell won't come out that way, and there's been no results to suggest that Tedford's Cal can dominate a Duck team that is playing well. Hell, the worst Duck team in Bellotti's tenure at 5-6 took Tedford's best Cal team to the wire and, arguably should have gotten the win on their home field.

Any Cal fan that expects a repeat of last year is going to be severely dissapointed.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

A bad Fresno State team is still there with all of the underclassmen. I think Bellotti still has 2 ex Fresno St coaches on his staff.

What y'all need to know is many of these PAC 10 coaches have worked with each other. They may have coached in the PAC 8, PCAA, Big West, Big Sky, WAC, Mountain West, etc. Hell Dennis Erickson is best friends with Jim Sweeney. Teammates Trent Dilfer and Lorenzo Neal are still in the NFL for some reason. It's incest at best.

This Oregon team is the best team they've had. Oh, and they get to play Cal at home. Oregon will win this game.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Atomic Punk wrote:A bad Fresno State team is still there with all of the underclassmen.
No doubt. And last year, we were fortunate to beat them, with a boneheaded play they made on a blocked field goal.

This year it was 42-6 in the 2nd quarter.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

JayDuck wrote:Cal has had golden opportunities
Yuk Yuk Yuk

Looks like the game might be on ESPN360. Hopefully Texas will blow out K-State early and they'll switch earlier rather than later.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

This is going to be a fun game to watch.

Oregon 34
Cal 31
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Trying to be objective about this game... well, it isn't happening.

But looking things over, there's a couple of numbers that just don't bode well for Kal...

One of them being Dennis Dixon's QB Rating of 188.1. That's a fairly enormous number. I haven't seen all that much of Kal this season, but some, and I haven't seen anything that in any way makes me believe that Kal's secondary can deal with that kind of efficiency in the passing game.

The other bigbigbig problem for Kal, is they're about to go up against the #1 RB in the conference. So far, no one has really had any sort of answer to Jonathan Stewart, and his absolutely gaudy 7.7 per-carry average(think what they would have done to Houston if they had been able to keep that average down). Hell, the Ducks are averaging 300 rushing yards a game. Statistically, Kal has been OK against the rush, but frankly, they haven't seen anything that's a fraction of the running game they're going to see tomorrow.

Hard to call the final score. I'm pretty sure it will be very high, though. I'm leaning towards Oregon blowing them out of the building, but it's not like the Golden Showers don't have the offensive weapons to return serve. I think the difference will be that Oregon's defense is at least slightly better than Kal's, and a few stops on 3rd will be the difference, combined with Oregon's so-far impressive ability to win the turnover battle, which they've done at a fairly rabid clip so far this season. The defense definitely isn't stacked top-to-bottom by any means, but there's enough big-playmakers to have an impact... Patrick Chung has made huge game-changing plays in just about every game he's ever suited up for in his career, and that trend probably won't end tomorrow.

Oregon - 52
Kal - 34
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I might have to adjust the green, yellow, and blue on my tv though...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Since Kal so shamelessly stole the Lightning Yellow(talk about "little brother syndrome"), don't be suprised if of Oregon's 368 uniform choices(some such number, anyway), they go with the heavy yellow theme.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Btw, this was a great game. Both defenses played well in the first half. But Cal could not stop Oregon's offense in the 2nd half. Those INTs by Dixon absolutely killed the Ducks. They were going right down the field every drive.

Shame the game had to end on that fumble in the endzone. I was really hoping for OT. Props to Cal though. Speaking of can't be stopped. DeSean Jackson was all over the field. That juke he put on the UO defender for that TD was sick. Despite the slow first half, this was an exciting game. Both these teams have a legitimate shot at knocking off the Trojans. Rack the Pac.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

The bad Dennis showed up today.

Sin,

Dins.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

The return of mFool is imminent.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

L45B wrote:The return of mFool is imminent.

If she doesn't come back after this big win, then we'll never see her back here ever again. I guess maybe the USC game would be another date to mark on the calendar.

Knock on wood...
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Today, Oregon had the talent and the effort to win by 20. A real shame that they went out like that. UO football's signature positive moment "The Pick" now may have its historical counterpart "The Touchback." Really a sad day for those of us with any kind of rooting interest for the Ducks. A bummer.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

How much does Nike U have to pay Oakley for putting their logo all over the field and uniforms? I thought Oregon was going to win this game mainly because feCal usually shits the bed when they get away from Berkley, but I thought Dixon was going to run all over the Bears defense.
kind of a poetic justice that a kid fumbles the ball and loses the game vs his home town team, now I hope that mesean does the same when his home toewn team travels to berkley
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dixon your mouth.

Cameron Colvin... bunch of stars next to his name 4 years ago. De La Salle High School. Huge recruiting coup. 4 years later, he's still a fucking bum.

I didn't think the Ducks losing WR Brian Paysinger would hurt so much -- it did. Kal stuck to Jaison Williams like glue, and no other recievers really stepped up to the plate. There should have been easy pickins downfield, the way Kal was stcking the box... but no. The Ducks never really did anything to break down Kal's outside containment, and as a result, never got many good opportunities to work the outside, which they've feasted on up until this point.

Standing right there in the second row, it was pretty brutal screaming and pointing to a wide open Stewart (along with everyone else in the section), wide open for 60,000 people to see.... but the one guy who mattered seemed to want to throw it to the white shirts, and put the nail in the coffin.

Just brutal.

Kal's first win in Eugene in 20 freaking years.

Where's that Season Over guy when you need him?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

After calming down...

WTF, Bellotti?

Does every fucking play from scrimmage HAVE to involve play action, draw-fake, backfield leak, statue-of-liberty, ball fake, fake handoff, hook-and-ladder, double-reverse, then a shitty pass into traffic?

Jeebuz freaking chorizo.

A little deception is a good thing, especially from the spread. 4 attempts at deception on every ill-drawn-up play is a fuggin joke. Between quarters and whatnot, when the atmospere was conducive to conversation, that seemed to be by far the most talked-about subject, and after the game as well.

Newsflash, dipshits -- that guy blasting up the middle is looking to bag a QB/RB for dinner. He doesn't give a shit how many stupid fakes and misdirections you throw at him -- he's going to continue into the backfield until he's extremely confident that his prey is no longer there. And I find it rather disappointing that I have to explain this to people who got jobs coaching a D1A team.

That hocus-pocus strategy would be brilliant, if only we could get the opposing DC to agree to never blitz. And maybe if the playcall is for the QB to prance around the pocket like a faggot, maybe the tailback could stay at home and maybe offer up a block here and there, instead of running sideways in the hope that a QB-hungry LB follows him instead of feasting on the QB. I'm not sure whose moronic idea that is, but it needs to stop... NOW.

Hey, what the hell -- maybe every once in a while, they can maybe think about running the absolute beast of a running back, who averaged 7.7 per for the season... maybe they can actually have him tuck in behind a gaurd and run forward every once in a while... you know, like they do in football.

Kal kept their outside containment solid, and the Ducks' offense became deer-in-the-headlights. Oregon has made huge play after huge play breaking open the edges all season, and Cal wasn't having any of that. And Bellotti's men don't seem to have spent any time figuring out any way to do much damage between the tackles, so I hope JT didn't just draw up the blueprint for everyone to follow.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Dinsdale wrote:

Cameron Colvin... bunch of stars next to his name 4 years ago. De La Salle High School. Huge recruiting coup. 4 years later, he's still a fucking bum.

I
Not really Colvin's fault. Not the greatest idea, but its hard to blame him for reaching for the endzone in that situation. While its clearly the right call, to be honest, I've never really understood that rule. If you fumble the ball out of bounds for 99 yards 2 feet and 11 inches of the field, you retain possesion, but fumble it out of bounds in that last inch and it goes to the defense?

The fucked up thing is that, wasn't the rule put in place to prevent teams from intentionally fumbling into the endzone on 4th downs/etc. when they knew they weren't going to score, in hopes of recovering? But the rule doesn't really affect that situation at all. It only is an issue if the ball goes out of bounds, the offense can still recover in the endzone for a touchdown.

Shitty way to lose a game. Just don't like that rule. But, I'm not mad at Colvin and I'd say calling him a bum is a little nuts. Our starting WR gets a season ending injury and Colvin took his place. In two games of replacing him he's got 15 catches (zero drops unlike stone hand Williams) for 210 yards and 2 TDs. One fumble, trying to make a play to get us in the endzone. I'm not gonna crucify the guy.

The playcalling is way more to blame for the loss, when Stewarts getting 8 yards a pop in the first half and doesn't see the ball in the second half.

And, even more than the playcalling is the ridiculous special teams decisions to pooch every kickoff and take Stewart off of kick returns.

No doubt in my mind we win if we just kickoff and recieve, like normal, like we have all fucking year long. I understand punting away from Jackson. But they don't even use him on kickoff returns. Just kick the fucking ball.

This loss won't kill our season like last year's did though.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I'm surprised Oregon lost. I'm still not looking forward to playing them.

The Trojans shit the bed this weekend as well.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

That is a shitty way to lose a game. Reminds me of our first game against Texas back in 99. Our back tried to stretch the ball over the goalline and fumbled. That cost us the game. What made it worse was that there was no reason to reach, there was plenty of time and we had downs left to move the ball that one lousy foot.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Hmm. USC went into a hostile conference stadium against a stud freshman QB and won.

"Stud" Freshman QB?

Locker is a hyped freshman QB, and maybe someday will be very good. Right now, he's the 2nd worst QB in the Pac-10. Worst QB rating. Least passing yards. Lowest completion %. Least TDs. more INTs than TDs. He might actually be the worst.

Locker's a great runner, but his running is almost completely neutralized by the fact that Washington doesn't have a single running back capable of running the ball AND Locker couldn't hit a wide open reciever to save his life. You don't have to worry about Locker passing, or handing off, so you can just tee off on him every play.

Jimmy Medalions wrote:I'm surprised Oregon lost. I'm still not looking forward to playing them.

The Trojans shit the bed this weekend as well.
I wish we would have played USC rather than Cal this weekend. But I'm sure we'll need to play a lot better to beat you. It always seems to be our luck to catch you just before, or just after some sloppy weekends, but not during them. The only thing that gives me hope right now is the Booty led Trojans' record in the Pac-NW. The slop against UW on Saturday. A loss to the Beavers and a scare at WSU marks all 3 trips Booty has taken up North.