Huge Trade (SJ & BOS) Thorton to Sharks

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Huge Trade (SJ & BOS) Thorton to Sharks

Post by Adelpiero »

Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau for Joe Thronton.

Web Page Name
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

The Bruins have lost their minds.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Sharks overpaid for Thornton. They'll miss Primeau's grit. Both teams needed a shake up. Bruins win this trade hands down. They get 2 solid centers and a good defenceman....all young.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

AcidQueen wrote:The Bruins have lost their minds.
If by "lost their minds", you mean fleeced the sharks....you would be correct.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Bruins win that trade, Thornton is never going to lead a team to a championship.
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Horrible trade for the Bruins. Sturm is a decent second line guy and Primeau is an average third line guy. Stuart is good defenseman but seems to have peaked.

This is what you get for a top 10 forward who can dominate a game? No thanks. I take the superstar.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

They usually say that whoever gets the best player wins the deal.... the best player is pretty obvious in this one.

But despite the lopsided opinions coming from the media scoring this one heavily in favour of the Sharks, I might have to lean the way of the Bruins.

The Sharks biggest asset was their depth. They have pillaged their own depth to make this deal. OK, the Sharks weren't exactly winning a lot of games with that depth anyway, but there are at least 3 AHL calibre defensemen on that roster now, one of them eating up top 2 pairing minutes!! Not to mention Scott Hannan has been absofuckinglutely terrible this year. The Sharkies will probably score more now, but they still don't have a finisher to complement Thornton's playmaking. Jonathon Cheechoo scores some nice goals, but a sniper he ain't.

Marleau and Thornton are a nice 1-2 punch at C, but at what cost?

The Bruins, well, I don't know what they were so anxious to get rid of Thornton for anyway. The guy is one of the best players in the league and still has his best years ahead of him. They really should have ran the course with him. But I like the depth they gain out of this... I've always liked Stuart, and while not great so far this year, Sturm is a pretty solid 20-35 goal guy. Primeau gives the B's a solid guy for the 3rd line.

I suppose it's easier to trade a good player when you're getting quality in quantity, like what happened here.

I would say the Bruins probably win the deal if they're right about Thornton being heartless and soft, but this could bite them in the ass if Thornton gets that red-assed attitude and decides to show the world what a mistake they made.

Pretty big trades so far in this salary cap era. So much for the salary cap inhibiting trades.
Still a FlameFan
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

if this does not work out Mike O'Connell is fecked . The B's fans will kill him .....

I still laugh at Ray's number going to the rafters and Ray at the mike telling the fans , with arms raised to stop booing Mike ....classic ............
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

if this does not work out Mike O'Connell is fecked . The B's fans will kill him .....

I still laugh at Ray's number going to the rafters and Ray at the mike telling the fans , with arms raised to stop booing Mike ....classic ............
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

AcidQueen wrote:The Bruins have lost their minds.
It's a salary dump.

Rack the Sharks! This was one of the best steals I've seen in years.
Defense wins championships.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

JD wrote:I would say the Bruins probably win the deal if they're right about Thornton being heartless and soft
I'll buy Joe a box of Tampax!

Sin, J. Jagr
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sturm and Stuart were reportedly on the trading block for a little while as the Sharks have been very slow out of the gates...arguably the biggest disappointment of the young season. Thornton could've gotten traded in the offseason when his contract status was unknown so this surprises me unless it was an issue of getting him signed longterm. The Bruins don't have a #1 center but plenty of talent on the wings and Stuart gives them another big young defenseman. Primeau is a great checking/PK center. Unless the Bruins have a plan to get another #1 center, it's a puzzling trade. I like Bergeron but he's not in the same league as Thornton right now. Zhamnov is solid but not in Thornton's league either. For the Sharks, their speed and forward depth takes a hit but Thornton and Marleau as 1-2 punch in the middle is going to be a dynamic duo for years to come if Thornton signs longterm in San Jose. We've already seen a guy like Fedorov get traded...is this just part of the NHL's new financial system?
stealth
Crack Whore

Post by stealth »

It gets better...or worse if your Joe.

Just heard that dude just put over 2 mill down on a new condo in Boston, the deal closed a couple of weeks ago :shock:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

stealth wrote:It gets better...or worse if your Joe.

Just heard that dude just put over 2 mill down on a new condo in Boston, the deal closed a couple of weeks ago :shock:

That tells you he wanted to have roots in Boston and didn't expect to get traded. He's a rich guy, he can always have a second residence somewhere else.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

He was soft and always seemed to show up in blowouts either good or bad. He was the captain of the Bruins yet never got on anybody for the way they played. Good luck to Joe but I think you guys are paying attention to his stats and not the other parts of his game.....
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

This trade is more smoke than fire.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Mainiac
Born Again Liberal

Post by Mainiac »

I've been going back and forth all day on this one. At first I was shocked to death, I couldn't believe it. But after a little thought I think it's a pretty decent trade. It's hard to explain why I like this trade...just a feeling. Neely8 is right, Joe's a little soft, he hasn't played physical hockey at all this year despite his size and strength. He just never seemed to get it . He didn't have that ability to turn it on at the right time, sure his stats were good but he's kind of like the Drew Bledsoe of hockey...all the talent but there's just something missing there. It's mostly mental I think. That being said, I like him. I wish him well.

The B's get a good young defenseman in return, which they desperately need. Sturm is young and can skate like crazy, but he'd better turn up his offense a bit. Primeau is great defensively and is a good PK guy...he replaces Scatchard, who I liked a lot.

Blitz, this was no salary dump, the B's only come out about $1 millon ahead on this although it does buy some greater flexibility. It wasn't the main reason for the trade.

We'll see. I like the trade. It's bold, risky and just a little bit crazy. If they don't start playing better then Mr. O'Connell will be the next one to go, I guarantee it. Beating the Sens tonight would be a good start.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Many times, a player buying a house is a lot like a GM giving his coach a vote of confidence......in other words, see ya!

I'm surprised how varied the opinions on this trade are. Sure Thornton has spectacular skills, but what has he ever done with them? He's not much better than Lecavlier IMO, and Vinny has a ring.

I would trade 23 GP 9G 24A 33P

for

23GP 6G 10A 16P
21GP 5G 3A 8P
23GP 2G 10A 12P

anyday.

1 player does not a team make. It's not a knockout victory for the Bruins, but they've added more to their team than they've lost.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

moon wrote:Horrible trade for the Bruins. Sturm is a decent second line guy and Primeau is an average third line guy. Stuart is good defenseman but seems to have peaked.

This is what you get for a top 10 forward who can dominate a game? No thanks. I take the superstar.
I agree 100% except I don't think Stuart has peaked. He is a very very good dman, and Sturm is an underrated player, but you don'd trade a superstar for very very good. And WTF was Wayne Primeau doing in this trade? The Bruins already have Brad Boyes, Travis Green, Pat Leahy, Alexei Zhamnov why do they need to pay 1.1 mil for a 30 year old who averages 12 points a year? If I were Boston, I would have wanted some prospects or draft picks....

Why didn't they shop him around? According to most GMs interviewed, none of them new the Bruins were so close to trading Joe.

Bruins screwed themselves.

(of course they beat Ottawa 3-0 tonight)
GET-ZKY!!!!
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Please show me where Joe Thornton has taken over a game? Please point out to me all the playoff series wins that the Bruins have with Joe Thornton?

I will take 3 players who play hard and try over one guy who racks up points in meaningless games anyday.....
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
stealth
Crack Whore

Post by stealth »

Joey Moss wrote: (of course they beat Ottawa 3-0 tonight)
That's funny I couldn't find the Sens anywhere last night, I found the boston game though :meds:

Nice game for the newbs, Stuart looked good.
Mainiac
Born Again Liberal

Post by Mainiac »

As usual, the team that just pulled off a big trade gets an automatic bounce. It helps that the Sens didn't bother to show up. In any case, nice game and certainly no small accomplishment shutting out the Sens. Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau all looked good, especially Stuart. Very solid defensively, which is exactly what the B's need.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Sharks 5, Toronto 4 Saturday night, at Air Canada Centre.
San Jose now 2-0 since acquiring Thornton, who had two more assists.

Boston won 5-4 at Edmonton, in OT, overcoming a 3-0 second period deficit.
One assist for Stuart. Bruins also 2-0 since the trade.
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)