Whiskey geeks?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Whiskey geeks?

Post by Goober McTuber »

I didn't want to derail all the fun and games in the Pappy thread with any serious whiskey talk. So how many whiskeys do you immediately recognize in the photo below? I'm a huge bourbon fan, also like a number of ryes, but cannot tolerate most Scotch. Anybody have any favorites? Or do y'all just drink piss-water beer?

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Whiskey geeks?

Post by BSmack »

I've had bacon infused Makers Mark. That was good. Don't care enough about booze to build a serious collection.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Goober McTuber wrote:I didn't want to derail all the fun and games in the Pappy thread with any serious whiskey talk. So how many whiskeys do you immediately recognize in the photo below? I'm a huge bourbon fan, also like a number of ryes, but cannot tolerate most Scotch. Anybody have any favorites? Or do y'all just drink piss-water beer?

Honestly...I've NEVER EVER seen any of those whiskeys.

On a side note, who has a picture of grapes in their man cave? HOMO!
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Don't do distilled spirits anymore. Have some in the house for guests who like a cocktail.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:Anybody have any favorites? Or do y'all just drink piss-water beer?
Pretty much stick to a Bud Rice diet, my pancreas doesn't need any more abuse that I've already subjected it to.

But I must allow that in recent years I've developed an affinity for Captain Morgan Black.

I only take 'sips' but sometimes find myself taking too many damn sips. It's damned tasty and moderation (in practice) is not in my vocabulary or habit.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Haven't had enough whiskey in my life to have formed a opinion on what is/isn't good. Have become a bit of a vodka fan though over the last decade or so.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote:

^^^^ Gets it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I will drink a whiskey if someone is offering up for free.

Given my choice I will drink a tequila or vodka on the rocks.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Scotch is the new peasant. Anything described as 'peaty' is unnatural, the Japanese are winning world awards for single malts, poor man's cognac.

Drank bourban because it's what you do when everyone else does. Discovered rye and never looked back. It gets confusing in Canada, every whisky is 'rye', it's an historical term and the rye content can be zero, but it's still called 'rye whisky'. That's starting to change, they're making an effort. Now the switch is to 100% rye grain.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Scotch is the new peasant. Anything described as 'peaty' is unnatural, the Japanese are winning world awards for single malts, poor man's cognac.
Whole buncha stupid here.

First, scotch comes from Scotland, not Japan (although they can make something kinda-sorta similar).

And it seems like you compared scotch to cognac? (I could have misinterpreted.) Radically different spirits, made from radically different things (grain and grapes), made by radically different techniques.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

The stupid isn't from me, don't shoot the messenger. I would't wax over anything described as 'peaty and mossy'. Fuck the 'taistesmoraig' crowd. Single malts are simple, but carry status in a social context, cognac being on the higher end of the scale (bling, not as in scotch).
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The Big Pickle wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I didn't want to derail all the fun and games in the Pappy thread with any serious whiskey talk. So how many whiskeys do you immediately recognize in the photo below? I'm a huge bourbon fan, also like a number of ryes, but cannot tolerate most Scotch. Anybody have any favorites? Or do y'all just drink piss-water beer?

Honestly...I've NEVER EVER seen any of those whiskeys.

On a side note, who has a picture of grapes in their man cave? HOMO!
And you call yourself a bartender? Remind me which hotel bar you're working at?

The "picture of grapes" was the featured print at the WHA-TV annual on-air auction a few years back. I won it in a raffle.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
KC Scott wrote:

^^^^ Gets it.

Scotch is vile, nasty stuff. The reviews can be entertaining though. Some samples:

This is the scotch-drinker's scotch. A scotch that tastes like scotch — burnt rubber, smoke, and Robitussin, oh my!

Nose: This opens on big, smoky muscular peat notes. There are spices, and liquorice, as well as a big dose of salt. This whisky has become slightly sweeter in recent years, and it beautifully on the nose, amidst the classic iodine/sticking plasters and cool wood smoke we love.

Palate: Seaweed-led, with a hint of vanilla ice cream and more than a whiff of notes from the First Aid box (TCP, plasters etc). The oak is big, and muscles its way into the fore as you hold this whisky over your tongue. An upsurge of spices develop – cardamom/black pepper/chilli.

Finish: Big and drying, as the savoury, tarry notes build up with an iodine complexity.

Finish: Long and with an interesting flavor like sweet-and-sour or Margarita mix. Fades into simple, slightly bitter, smoke and wet ashes.

Nose - nutty malt, burnt rubber, I think iodine (not as salty as in the bottle on first opening it, so I'm not going to call it seaweed this time), cooked banana

Delicate, interesting aromas of rubber eraser, honey toasted grains and nuts, polished wood, and banana leaf with a velvety, crisp, fruity medium-to-full body and a tingling, complex, medium-long spiced cream on dried stone fruits, nougat, straw and suede, and copper finish.

Mild, creamy, earthy floral grainy aromas of suede, saddle soap, and cedar with a lean, bright, dryish light-to-medium body and a warming, interesting, crisp white chocolate, wet white ash and leaves, and rubber pencil eraser finish.

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

My husband has the Eagle Rare and the Russells and maybe some others. I don't like the taste of whiskey at all. He has a bunch of other whiskeys, I'll try and get a pic. He collects Jack Daniels like a fiend. He goes to tastings every chance he gets.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:Scotch tastes like an ashtray smells. Not a fan.
I feel bad for your unrefined palate.

Great bourbon is like $20 scotch.

I like "whisky," not whiskey. Must be that 1/128th Scots in my blood (famous fucker, that one non-English fucker in the woodpile).
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Getting into scotch is like kicking your own ass over and over (sup AP) until you tell yourself you "get it."
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Scotch is expensive because it's labour intensive, not neccesarily good.

I coud piss in a barrel for a year, then fitre the piss through charcoal and cotton, and eat up 10,000 man hours. Then pay to store it, which consumes time, labour and storage space. In the end, it's stil scotch and people pay to drink it.

The same economic principles that destroyed real ale preserved this vile drink somehow :? Connoisseur culture.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

^^^^^^
Gets it.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: but cannot tolerate most Scotch.
Pussy

:hfal:

My everyday is Jameson

...which is not scotch.

:?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Papa Willie wrote:Scotch tastes like an ashtray smells. Not a fan.
There are different styles of scotch. The Islay peat monsters you speak of are pretty shitty, imo. You might prefer the Highland single malts. Still it's expensive and pretentious. I prefer bourbons myself. It's more American. One of the most interesting whiskeys I've ever had was some genuine backwoods corn likker one of my older cousins had. He was cagey about where it came from and it was obviously very well aged and doled out in small sips but...fuck. Smooth as silk with a faint corn sweetness and no kick until it hit your belly. You could kill yourself with the stuff.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Yes, it is. It's a good blend. I've killed a few bottles.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Don't drink much whisky these days, but I do like the Oban and I do like the Makers Mark. Not enough experience to know which others are good.
Mostly a wine drinker these days. I've changed my preference the past couple of years from big Napa cabs to Paso Robles Rhone style blends.

The best Rhone blends in the US come from here:

http://www.tablascreek.com/

An amazingly good array of GSMs ranging from $15 to $60 or so, and all very good. Also some excellent Rhone varietals, which is pretty unusual for California producers. They also produce some great white Rhone blends and varietals. We stop there every time we're in Paso, and also get a couple of 6 bottle shipments every year.

For points watchers, they have a whole bunch of 92 to 96 point bottles.

This one is fucking unbelievable but a little pricey (actually about $75 I think):

http://www.tablascreek.com/wine/223/2011_Panoplie

We picked up a couple of these last time we were there for special occasions - my favorite of all right now.

http://www.tablascreek.com/wine/5/2010_ ... Beaucastel

Costco was carrying their Patelin de Tablas GSM for quite a while for $15. Listed on the site for $25 before any discounts.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Expect to get served when you come to my house. This is just the bar. There is an entire room filled to the brim of a Jack Daniels collection. It's sick and insane. No, I don't drink any of this crap. I drink Bacardi and that is it. By the way, my husband rarely drinks at home. He likes to have bourbon and cigars outside with the neighbors or go to a bar and taste various whiskeys.

My Bacardi is the one with the heart pendant.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Enough booze? Jesus Christ, no wonder you're such a wreck.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screwy is jealous that your man cave is bigger than his entire shanty. Get him really pissed. Post a few major appliance pics.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:Screwy is jealous that your man cave is bigger than his entire shanty. Get him really pissed. Post a few major appliance pics.
LOL. Speaking of man caves, how is yours?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

:lol:

I'm gonna get messed up on some Bacardi soon.

Jealous much?

LOL
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote: :lol:

I'm gonna get messed up on some Bacardi soon.

Jealous much?

LOL
I wanna party with you, cowgirl!!

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

trev wrote:Expect to get served when you come to my house.
I saw a number of things I liked. Russell's and Elijah Craig are both decent bourbons in a moderate price range. I spotted a bottle of Eagle Rare, bonus points if it's the 17-year. Orphan Barrel bourbons are always intriguing because they're often 20 years or more, but they don't necessarily get rave reviews. Tell your hubby I said that Jack Daniels is the Budweiser of whiskeys.

I also keep a bottle of B & B around at all times.

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Their green label is pretty smooth, but I haven't been able to find any in a long time now.