Which Beer Would You Order?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Which Beer Would You Order?

Post by Mikey »

Went out for my birthday dinner last night at the Stone Brewery World Bistro and Gardens. Sort of expensive, but a very cool place - not your normal beer pub restaurant with a brewery in the back. Check out the pictures on the website. Half the building is the brewery and half is the restaurant, with a 30 foot plexiglass window between the two. The window wall between the indoor restaurant and outdoor garden is a 30 foot roll up plexiglass door that's open during the day and comes down when it gets cold outside.

http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/pix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When first confronted with the beer list (they carry a lot of brands besides their own) I first ordered something I knew I would like - the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, then a New Belgium Le Fleur Misseur, both of them on draft, and finally the Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura 750 ml bottle. That last one pretty much finished me.

Take a look at the beer list. What would you order?
(the ones with an asterisk are lambics)

http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/menus/beer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Which Beer Would You Order?

Post by Dinsdale »

Maybe not what I would order, since I'd be trying something new, but if I were making recommendations of those I'm familiar with, I'd say try the Deschutes Cinder Cone on tap (although not the nectar it used to be before the production ramp-up... Deschutes just opened a brewery in Portland last weekend-btw).

In the bottle, try the Hair Of Dog next time, Mikey. Even here in Beervana, it's only certain stores, a few pubs, and the brewery itself that sells Hair Of The Dog brews. Very fine outfit, everything is bottle-conditioned, and is enerally pretty expensive for a bottle of suds. Definitely a very high-end brewery, and they don't put their name on crap.

Then again, you ordered a New Belgium product, so your taste is suspect to begin with.

And I'd avoid anything that said Rogue on the label -- they're hit and miss, and their quality control sucks. But don't say so much as one negative word about Rogue on Beer Advocate (which is a joke anyway), or they'll ban your IP from the site... or so I hear. And whatever you do, don't suggest that Rogue try making one good beer before they try brewing 25 other kinds... they don't seem to take kindly to that. Their only redeeming quality is their garden-spot location on Yaquina Bay.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'd ask them if they carried Bud Rice.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I didn’t see any Midwest microbrews on there, so I probably would order some whisky.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote: Then again, you ordered a New Belgium product, so your taste is suspect to begin with.
Actually the wife ordered that one because the waitress recommended it as a fairly light tasting ale. I ended up drinking most of it, though.
Waste not, want not, you know.
(better than Fat Tire, acutally)

Goobs, you apparently don't know shit about Midwest microbrews (why does that not surprise me at all?).

Michigan is still considered part of that area, no?

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/homepage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:Not really sure what to make of their evident obession with the French-Belgian styles especially all of the Saisons.

Then you sir, are naive.

It's the Wine Spectator of beer.

Quality of product has nothingto do with their rankings, but advertising dollars and pimping Beer Advocate/Wine Spectator does.

Don't have it sitting in front of me, but I saw a spreadsheet a bored winery worker put together detailing the number of square inches of advertising space in Wine Spectator in a year to the average ranking of a company's wines the next year.

I wouldn't say that there's a statistical link -- I'd say conclusively that the folks at Wine Spectator don't even taste the wine before they assign a number to it -- they just check with their accountant.

Shameless.

I even saw mention in WS of an Oregon pinot noir from Willamette... it was a 2007, and had been rated. Right aout the same time all the other wineries I know of were just starting to bottle their 2006. Less than 5 months from crush (that's the grape harvest) to being in a bottle on the other side of the country and being highly rated by Wine Spectator....

riiiiiiight.

A red, no less.

Not sure if it meets the definition of "fraud" or not, but it certainly counts as "fiction"... just like Beer Advocate. And if the brewmaster of any given brewery worldwide posts on Beer Advocate... forgetaboutit. They have the BEST BEER IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:(better than Fat Tire, acutally)

Sterling recommendation, there.

The runny fluid that come out of the bottom of a rarely-changed cat litter box is better than Ass Tire.

That has got to be the most offensive, disgusting excuse for a "craft" beer I've ever tasted.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:Goobs, you apparently don't know shit about Midwest microbrews (why does that not surprise me at all?).

Michigan is still considered part of that area, no?

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/homepage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mikey,

Believe it or not, I only know about the ones I’ve heard of. Never heard of Jolly Pumpkin, but I’m sure that their #8 rating by Beer Advocate caught your eye. If they show up at the beer festival this summer, I’ll give them a try.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I didn't know about the ranking until I saw their website. I tried the Madrugada Obscura last night on a recommendation, which turned out to be bullshit, BTW.

It was an excellent stout but I wasn't looking for a stout. I aske the waitress if it was a really dark beer, based on the "obscura" in the name, and she said that it wasn't.

:meds:
Last edited by Mikey on Fri May 09, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And how was it?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:And how was it?
See my edit...

It was sort of syrupy with little carbonation. Nice flavor though. Not something you would drink fast.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I’m not much for stouts either. I would try their ales, though.

Upon further review, they were at the beer fest last year. I don't think I would have made it a point to check out "funky sour beers".
JOLLY PUMPKIN ARTISAN ALES (212) 734.426.4962
3115-A Broad Street / Dexter jollypumpkin.com
Brewer/manager: Ron Jeffries artisanales@gmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Established 2004. We are a unique farmhouse-style brewery
on open fermentation, oak aging, and bottle conditioning, we are
dedicated to elevating craft brewing into an art. We happily
spend our day brewing funky sour beers for your enjoyment
and ours!

Oro de Calabaza: Aged in oak casks and refermented in the
bottle, brewed on the Franco-Belgian tradition of special golden
ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the
beguiling influence of wild yeast. 8% v/v.
developed through natural barrel aging. 7.2% v/v.

La Roja: Artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition.
Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice and sour fruit notes
developed through natural barrel aging. 7.2% v/v.

Bam Biere: Golden, naturally cloudy, dry hopped, and bottle
conditioned for a refreshing balance of spicy malts, hops, and
yeast.

Calabaza Blanca: Artisan white ale brewed in Belgium's biere
blanche tradition. Spiced with orange peel and coriander, you'll
find it refreshingly tart, with a wonderfully dry finish.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

swell--yet another I'm hip and you're not beer snob thread !
knock yourselves out
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wolfman wrote:swell--yet another I'm hip and you're not beer snob thread !
knock yourselves out
And you show up in every one of them to whine about it. Go toss back another 6 cans of that horsepiss you drink and forget about it.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Drinking decent beer is hip, I guess...it's also sane. Drinking Beast Rice is NOT SANE.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

PSUFAN wrote:Drinking decent beer is hip, I guess...it's also sane. Drinking Beast Rice is NOT SANE.
It's saner than paying more for a Sam Adams or any other supposedly "hip" beer and then puking it up.

I like Bud Light and so do millions of others. We all think you can take your beer snobbery and shove it up your ass, you're probably not a "real" beer drinker anyway.

Now then, drinking Miller Lite is definitely insane.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

You came down a weekend too early, Wags.

Putting in a new keg this evening and will most likely be brewing tomorrow.

LOVE the smell of a really hoppy wort.

Bliss.
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

For Me it would be Ruinnation ( which I have in me fridge right now )

and a Urthel Vlaemse Bock .

That is a sweet list ..
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Different beers for different situations.

Just because you happen to like something of quality does not make you "hip" or anything.

I'll guzzle a Modelo Especial or six with a Mexican meal any day.

But I would rather drink nothing at all than drink that horse piss that wolfman seems to favor.
Old man, I'll bet you eat Hamburger Helper three times a week too - huh? Go on, admit it now.
And anybody who doesn't like it is a food snob.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

It's been a looooong time since I noticed the price of a 6 of Diet Bud Rice...ok, I never knew it. I do know that Sam Adams is the cheap beer in the fridges that I grab my sixes. I bet diet Bud Rice is probably about the same price. Diet Bud Rice is definitely not "cheap".

When I buy a 6, it's usually Dogfish 60 minute IPA. That sets me back $11.00...or $28-$30 a case. That seems reasonable to me, because that beer actually tastes good.

Isn't it worth it to pay a little bit extra for actual beer? Diet Bud Rice is sodie pop.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Damn...you pay a lot for beer.

The kine Stone IPA, Ruination, or Pale Ale or several others that they put in sixers is usually $7.99 - $8.99 in these parts. Maybe $1.00 or $2.00 more than the piss water.

I guess we're just lucky that way.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

try one of the Pale ale brews

usually can't go wrong with Pale ales.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

question:

anyone watched the show 2 and a half men? What brand, kind of beer is Sheen drinking? Looks almost like a wine trying to pass off as a beer bottle, but i have seen something similar to that stuff before in some of your yuppy bars.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:I like Bud Light and so do millions of others. We all think you can take your beer snobbery and shove it up your ass, you're probably not a "real" beer drinker anyway.
I bet Bud Light is the preferred choice of little Whore Wagon. That seems to be a common trait among 20 year old sluts.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

fukkking rack!
ADAM
still pays, but gets no sex anymore

Post by ADAM »

Make mine a Guinness....
The only right answer to a fool is silence
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

Make mine a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout .....
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Founders' Red's Rye is an awesome beer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

PSUFAN wrote:It's been a looooong time since I noticed the price of a 6 of Diet Bud Rice...
What kind of nancy boy drives into the liquor store parking lot and notices the price of a 6-pack?

No doubt, you know the price of whatever fag beer 6-pack is currently in season. Real men of genius get 30 packs.

Just fess up, you're queer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

rhymenocerous wrote:You came down a weekend too early...
Not at all.

Everything happens for a reason, my good man. Most times we don't even recognize that reason.

No fear, no regrets... but Meg came home last night after they lost their last game. There aren't many words to describe what it's like to have your kid take the bathroom back over.

You'll find out soon enough.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Wolfman wrote:swell--yet another I'm hip and you're not beer snob thread !

Yeah, it's all so silly, isn't it?

Because there's only one REAL fucking beer snob on this board, and a bunch of posuers.

What's funny is that you people don't even seem to realize it.

"Yeah, so what if American microbrewing was innovated in Dinsland, so what if Dins lives in the city with more breweries than any other city on earth, and so what if Dins was a 'beer snob' a decade before any of us had even heard of a 'beer snob'... we'll just keep pretending we know what's up, and act like we're as uberhip as the old veteran."

Yup, it's funny alright.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Anybody ever had one of these?

Now that's good beer, and well worth the extra cost. Had my first last night on a recomendation from a cool bartender after I had ordered a Corona. He said that if you like Corona, you'll really like this, and he was right. I had never even heard of it before, but went to the store today and sure enough they had it in the cooler.

Even an ardent beer snob won't have anything bad to say about this brew.
Dinstale
Jake

Post by Dinstale »

War Wagon wrote:Anybody ever had one of these?

Now that's good beer, and well worth the extra cost. Had my first last night on a recomendation from a cool bartender after I had ordered a Corona. He said that if you like Corona, you'll really like this, and he was right. I had never even heard of it before, but went to the store today and sure enough they had it in the cooler.

You've picked Corona so your taste is suspect there. You DO know the version we get in the States is not the same as what they have in Mexico right?

The runny fluid that come out of the bottom of a rarely-changed cat litter box is better than Corona.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Mudshark is shitty beer.

sin,
pickle
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:Anybody ever had one of these?

I've had it. It's pretty mediocre. Obviously a step up from Bud Lite. I'm betting you couldn't tell the difference between that and Corona in a blind taste test.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

can't see the pic here at work. we have a shitty beer firewall thingy.

what is it? If it is anything like messican bud lightcorona, you might as well just stick with the american watery swill.

One other thing. Does the bartender stick a chunk of lime in it without even asking? I had a rather decent heffeweizen a few weeks ago that the dumb cunt bartender stuck a piece of lime in. Almost smacked the dumb bitch.

Lime is great.....with a good vodka/tonic. If it makes your beer taste better, you need a better tasting beer.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

That list is BULLSHIT! I didn't see Natural Light anywhere on it. What kind of pissant restaurant doesn't carry the greatest beer known to mankind ever? It's a damn travesty is what it is...

The Arrogant Bastard, the Mephistopheles Stout, the Dogfish Head Palo, the Hair of the Dog Adam, or the Kells...

...or all of them and then a cab ride home. Or an easy chick ride home. Either way, you're going to have to "tip" them.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.